Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 03:00 AM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Photos from a cellphone supposedly

These are pretty wild. Some sort of an e-mail going around the globe but wait till you look at them. Talk about a bird whooping fox butt!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Photos from a cellphone supposedly-cellphonephoto1.jpg   Photos from a cellphone supposedly-cellphonephoto2.jpg   Photos from a cellphone supposedly-cellphonephoto3.jpg   Photos from a cellphone supposedly-cellphonephoto4.jpg   Photos from a cellphone supposedly-cellphonephoto5.jpg  

Old 02-24-2010, 03:13 AM   #2
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

WOW!
There's a blurb on snopes about the true photographer, a Finn named Pekka Komi, using a Cannon 20D and a 300mm. lens.

Tarsiger.com

snopes.com: Eagle vs. Fox
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:17 AM   #3
WG Writer

WOW! Too bad it doesn't have a sound track.

I think eagles can get quite aggressive. My sister has been watching one build a nest in her woods in Michigan.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:00 PM   #4
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Is that exciting or what!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:08 PM   #5
Fox

Awesome shots no matter how they were captured.

Eagles are absolutely aggressive. We watch them chase the hawks and osprey around here all the time. Just this morning we were drinking our coffee and I could see an osprey heading straight for our house and sure enough right there on his tail was the eagle. The osprey had a fish and was doing what he could to shake the eagle to no avail. The eagle reached his talons out, tagged the ospreys backside somewhere and the osprey dropped the fish. This is exactly what the eagle wants to happen and it is that aggression to chase down the osprey and take him on when he catches him that gives him the free meal.

The eagle didn't retrieve the fish that dropped in my neighbors driveway so I went and grabbed it and placed it out back on a log....hoping to lure something to come and get it. Camera is ready this time....
MaggyNoLia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:32 PM   #6
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggyNoLia View Post
Awesome shots no matter how they were captured.

Eagles are absolutely aggressive. We watch them chase the hawks and osprey around here all the time. Just this morning we were drinking our coffee and I could see an osprey heading straight for our house and sure enough right there on his tail was the eagle. The osprey had a fish and was doing what he could to shake the eagle to no avail. The eagle reached his talons out, tagged the ospreys backside somewhere and the osprey dropped the fish. This is exactly what the eagle wants to happen and it is that aggression to chase down the osprey and take him on when he catches him that gives him the free meal.

The eagle didn't retrieve the fish that dropped in my neighbors driveway so I went and grabbed it and placed it out back on a log....hoping to lure something to come and get it. Camera is ready this time....
Amazing story!

BTW, did you get a new avatar? I like it!
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:50 AM   #7
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Amazing story!
It's one of those treats we have the pleasure of every now and then living where we do. Back in December we saw a brown pelican get very aggressive, which I've never seen before.

A great blue heron had caught a fish and climbed onto the bank. He gave the fish a couple of tosses and in the middle of one of those tosses this big brown shape crashed into that poor blue heron. I was shocked to see that it was a brown pelican. As the pelican gobbled the fish he had just stolen, the great blue flew down the tidal creek a little bit.

I figure that great blue had to have said something to that pelican because the pelican wasn't done. He took off in a straight line after that great blue and then the unbelievable happened again. An anhinga popped up out of the water....smack dab in the middle of the path between the great blue and the pelican and yes you guessed it. The pelican drops down onto that anhinga and nabs himself another fish. That evidently was enough for him. As quickly as it all happened, he was gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
BTW, did you get a new avatar? I like it!
Yes it is a new avatar. I like it too, thank you.
MaggyNoLia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:01 PM   #8
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Hoo hoo hooooo ray to your new avatar!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cellphone, eagle, fox, photos, predator and prey, predator-prey, predator-prey interaction, supposedly