Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2009, 03:30 AM   #11
Official Plant Nerd

We humans do a lot of stupid things don't we??? Common sense... what does it matter if a turkey has interesting plummage or not since they're ending up in a roaster plucked anyway??? milkweed> I have something that will leave you rolling on the floor. I have a long time friend. She burned out from the city life and packed up and headed for the hills with her husband to live the good life. They started out with a few lambs, chicks, and rabbits to sell off to make money. Next came the turkeys. She poured over books picking the perfect turkey for her table. She ordered butterball babies. Turkeys are fun birds to own. They're like little puppy dogs following you around for attention and they will hop right in your lap... at least hers were hand raised hopped in your lap. Problem... my girlfriend and her daughter got attached to their 7 turkeys. Each one was named after one of the seven dwarfs. When it came time to butcher them... they couldn't do it so they decided to never name their livestock again and that they'd keep the 7 they had as pets and order more to sell. These turkeys lived the good life. We're talking they had it all... fancy shelter heated in winter and privacy screening to do what turkeys do without the coyotes being able to gobble them up. One day she came home from work and called me rather frantic and upset. One of her pets was down on the ground and he couldn't get up. She was worried but there was no money to go to a vet unless it was serious. She decided to give it a day or two for him to get up. By the second day another one was down and couldn't get up. She was going to give it one more day and then she was going to take them in to the vet. The day she goes to the vet there's another one down that couldn't get up. I was convinced some sort of disease was infecting her turkeys. So she goes to the vet and comes home and she's on the phone sobbing that they're butterballs. I'm like ok... they're butterballs so what do they have and can the vet do anything about it. She sobs that I'm not listening to her... they're butterballs. I'm like ok and can he fix your butterballs. She said no. She said they'd all needed to be put to sleep. I'm still in the dark not putting 2 and 2 together so I ask her to pull herself together long enough to tell me what's going on. She said the butteballs were bred to be big breasted and to grow fast so they could be slaughtered for market faster. They weren't bred to live. They were bred to be eaten. When she couldn't slaughter them and kept them as pets... their legs started giving out and they really had fallen and couldn't get up. Their legs were giving out under their weight. She had to put them all to sleep one by one. They never did turkeys again. They do nice lamb and chicken and they don't name anything anymore.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:52 AM   #12
WG Facilitator

I can't even laugh on this one - just sitting here with bug eyes re-reading the screen with disbelief.

Farming Rule #1 - never name an animal you intend to eat. But once she has big fat juicy turkeys with broken legs and a vet bill. . . she PUT THEM TO SLEEP? I promise you the vet could have found someone who would have slaughtered them so they wouldn't have gone to waste. And she wouldn't have had to deal with them one by one.

Exception to the Don't Name An Animal Rule - naming all the sheep BaaBaaQue or pigs PorkChop is funny. You can't get attached to an animal you name with a food name.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:27 AM   #13
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Awful turkey story ...
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:19 AM   #14
Official Plant Nerd

She was new to farming. Her daughter raised a pig for 4H. They found out the day they were auctioning off the pig that Pinkie was going to be eaten. I had to high bid Pinkie. Pinkie went back home and lived out his life fed snack scraps through the kitchen window. Open the window and he'd squeel with delight at what was going to be scraped off your dinner plate and into his trough. When he died they used a mini bulldozer to push him into his final resting place. They don't do pigs anymore either. They put the turkeys to sleep and buried them. There were 7 lumps in the ground named Sneezy, Sleepy, Dopey, Doc, Happy, Bashful, and Grumpy. I felt bad for her. I came from a farming community and she came from the big city. She didn't get that you don't name and cuddle your food. Her lambs are all named Mint Jelly with a number after them. Same thing with the rabbits. Hasenpfeffer 250, 251, 252, and you get it. Chickens aren't named or numbered.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:57 PM   #15
Heron

Funny story. Poor butterballs. But I think I would have eaten them instead of burying them or at least donated them. But I'm from the country.

Quote:
You can't get attached to an animal you name with a food name.
If we had a sow that was mean or a bad mother; my Mom would name them Pepper, Sage, Paprika ect. Guess what they became?
We did name the dairy cows but they died of old age and never ended up on the table. Curly, Kicks were a few.
When my parents got out of the dairy business, they would buy feeder calves. You buy calves smaller, let grow up a bit then sell them for slaughter. Of coarse, we would have one butchered for the freezer.
Well one year they bought some calves and one of them was as tame as a dog. He would follow us around, lick us, rub his head up against us to be petted, a real pet. He was a Holstein and on his back through a black patch was a white mark like lightning. So we called him Lightning.
Well when it came time to sell the calves Mom promised we wouldn't have Lightning butchered.
Thats as sentimental as it got on our farm. We wouldn't eat him but it was OK if someone else did.

Where I'm from the 4H animals go for a fortune but the grandparent, relatives always buy them. Maybe for the same reason. We had a joke that real farmers didn't do 4H because they couldn't afford it.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:02 PM   #16
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Sage???
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:15 AM   #17
WG Facilitator

We'll hide you, Sage! No one's going to have OUR buddy for their Thanksgiving feast.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:05 AM   #18
Official Plant Nerd

"But I think I would have eaten them instead of burying them or at least donated them.". I would have eaten them too. They're little use buried. To me that was flat out wasteful but... a pet's a pet. We used to name the dairy cows. You've got little kids. You should check out clover leafs. I think it's clover leafs not clover leaves. That's a 4H program that if you get a good leader your kids might like. They have nice activities.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:12 AM   #19
WG Facilitator

[QUOTE=Equilibrium;50620 You should check out clover leafs. . . That's a 4H program that if you get a good leader your kids might like. They have nice activities.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the explanation - I thought you were suggesting that the family with issues eating their pets take up searching for 4 leaf clovers instead of raising animals. . .

4 H is a good program.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:36 AM   #20
Salamander

Default Our Turkey Pals

I distinctly remember Thanksgiving last year (2008), after letting the roasted turkey relax on the counter for 20 minutes or so, going to the kitchen and preparing to carve it. Out the corner of my eye, through the window, I notice movement. Turns out, a flock of about 30 turkeys had stopped by and were watching me through the kitchen window from our front porch. Guess they were literally 15-20 feet away. Awkward!

The fourth photo was actually taken on T-day last year.

~Turkeys~-_mg_0841.jpg ~Turkeys~-2009-08-aug-09-turkey-one.jpg ~Turkeys~-2009-08-aug-09-turkey-three.jpg ~Turkeys~-_mg_9158.jpg ~Turkeys~-treed-turkeys.jpg

We have a flock of about 40 turkeys that wander through either yard at any given time. It's funny in the morning to watch them come down from the trees, as they less "gracefully land" and more usually bounce once or twice upon contact with the ground.

Quietman

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

Tags
turkeys