Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2016, 11:25 AM   #1
Great Horned Owl

Default Animal bridges and underpasses

Study shows wildlife over and underpasses prevent about 70 accidents a year | Open Spaces | trib.com

"Mule deer and pronghorn used new over and underpasses on one of Wyoming’s most dangerous highways for animal collisions more than 60,000 times between 2012 and 2015.

At the same time, traffic accidents between vehicles and wildlife fell from about 85 per year to 16, addressing one of Wyoming’s perennial problems.

The reason is simple: manmade tunnels and bridges."

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:05 PM   #2
WG Fundraising Coordinator

A great thing for Wyoming and other states and provinces with a lot of wildlife migration and also a lot of traffic. Question, how do they know how to use the bridges and underpasses instead of just walking across the road?
Old 05-26-2016, 08:25 AM   #3
Great Horned Owl

In most cases they use fencing to "funnel" the animals into the pathway that leads beneath the road. Here in Massachusetts, where I 95 runs a couple of miles from my home, the animal density on each side of the highway is quite different. Though some animals make it across the fast and busy highway, many are deterred or killed in trying to cross; hence, on one side there are many deer and on the other, few...

THough Wyoming may have larger predators and more herds of animals, every state has wildlife, and much of it is killed on the state's highways each and every year. I love this idea of supplying a safe crossing to all and any animals all over the land...

Oracle at Delphi
Old 05-29-2016, 11:12 AM   #4
Fox

There was a show on PBS recently that talked about wildlife using underpasses and overpasses to cross highways. The key seemed to be making the crossings as natural as possible. They were placed such that they fit in with the natural terrain. Overpasses, for example, were placed where the road cut into a hill. So when the overpass was put in it was like the ridge just continued from one side of the road to the other side of the road. They also planted grasses and shrubs on the overpass to make them seem more natural.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:39 PM   #5
Alternate POM Judge

What a great way to help wildlife
Old 06-05-2016, 06:34 PM   #6
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I love it. Sounds fantastic.

I have seen something on Facebook or Pinterest showing wildlife corridors/overpasses from another country...looking pretty much how NEWisc described.

(Yikes...when did I start using Facebook and Pinterest?!?)
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:44 PM   #7

I did an image search and came across this post with a lot of examples of wildlife bridges:

https://alizul2.blogspot.com/2012/07...-wildlife.html

There are quite a few impressive ones as you scroll down. I especially liked the ecoduct from the Netherlands.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 06-05-2016, 08:51 PM   #8
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I did an image search and came across this post with a lot of examples of wildlife bridges:

https://alizul2.blogspot.com/2012/07...-wildlife.html

There are quite a few impressive ones as you scroll down. I especially liked the ecoduct from the Netherlands.
Nice find, Dap! I became fascinated with this topic after my trip to Yellowstone six years ago. I was informed then that there was a project to connect Glacier National Park to Yellowstone for animals, providing safe crossings when major highways blocked safe passage.

I've always looked at the Netherlands as being in many ways an enlightened country. These pictures reinforce that opinion!!! (Canada looks good here also)

Oracle at Delphi
Old 06-05-2016, 09:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Nice find, Dap! I became fascinated with this topic after my trip to Yellowstone six years ago. I was informed then that there was a project to connect Glacier National Park to Yellowstone for animals, providing safe crossings when major highways blocked safe passage.

I've always looked at the Netherlands as being in many ways an enlightened country. These pictures reinforce that opinion!!! (Canada looks good here also)
~smile~ I really did luck out. I expected to find an individual pic or two, but I ended up with a series of them.

Very cool to know that these will be implemented to join the two parks...and hopefully many other locations.

Yes, I think we should look to other countries for ideas (share ours and borrow theirs ). I agree with you.

Tags
animal, bridges, underpasses