Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > North American News and Current Events

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2009, 02:05 PM   #1
WG Staff

Default U.S. imports 1 billion pet animals from the wild between 2000 and 2006

U.S. imports 1 billion pet animals from the wild between 2000 and 2006
Rhett A. Butler, mongabay.com
April 30, 2009
Poor regulation of the international wildlife trade has increased the vulnerability of the U.S. to outbreaks of disease and alien invasive species, report researchers writing in Science.

U.S. imports 1 billion pet animals from the wild between 2000 and 2006
excerpts from above:
Quote:
Analyzing Law Enforcement Management Information System (LEMIS) data gathered by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service from 2000 through 2006, Katherine Smith of Brown University and colleagues found that of the more than 1.5 billion live wildlife animals legally imported to the United States during the period, only 14 percent were classified to the level of species despite federal mandates for such labeling. The lack of accurate reporting makes it impossible to "accurately assess the diversity of wildlife imported or the risk they pose as invasive species or hosts of harmful pathogens," they write.
Quote:
"The threat to public health is real. The majority of emerging diseases come from wildlife," added Smith, assistant research professor in the Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology at Brown University and lead author on the paper. "Most of these imported animals originate in Southeast Asia ó a region shown to be a hotspot for these emerging diseases."
Old 05-06-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
Too Wild To Garden

Thank you for posting all the great articles Staff!
Stoloniferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:53 PM   #3
Grub

But the human species is actually a part of the natural world. Even though it's difficult to see now, we actually came from 'the wild.'

People crave contact with nature even if only on a subconscious level. They/we all need to stay in touch with nature.

I'm not saying everyone should own a tiger. But something . . . don't ask me where I'm trying to go with this. Just musing out loud I guess.

Donna in Nebraska
buteojamaicensi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:31 PM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

I have cats. My cats love me because I'm too big to fit in their mouths. I don't even want to think about how much litter I would have to buy and haul in this house if I owned a tiger.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:02 AM   #5
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I have cats. My cats love me because I'm too big to fit in their mouths. I don't even want to think about how much litter I would have to buy and haul in this house if I owned a tiger.

Same goes for me. I've got these tiny tigers.

But I enjoy all the other critters in my yard. Even the spiders and snakes. They are all busy doing their part to make a living and weave their bits in the web of life on my tiny spot of wild earth. It's an inspiring thing to think about.

I really don't need to import anything because I've got a yard full of wild critters as it is.

Donna in Nebraska
buteojamaicensi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:33 PM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

I totally enjoy what comes to my yard too. I put out sunflower seeds for my chipmunks. I created chipmunk feeders out of glass juice bottles that they can go inside and eat without being eaten by the loose cats. Last night the dogs were barking and I saw a raccoon nimbly sticking its paws into the chipmunk feeder and pulling out the seeds. I watched for quite a while. Then another raccoon came along and chased the first one off. Then an opossum came along within a few feet of the second raccoon and helped himself to treats in my composter. It was an active night.

Tags
2000, 2006, animals, billion, imports, pet, wild