Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > North American News and Current Events

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
WG Staff

Default 7 Health Benefits To Eating Fermented Food

7 Health Benefits To Eating Fermented Food
Written by: Tricia Drevets
Off-Grid Foods
October 29, 2013

7 Health Benefits To Eating Fermented Food | Off The Grid News
excerpt from above:
Quote:
Most of us eat fermented foods without even knowing it. Condiments you use such as ketchup and soy sauce, the sauerkraut or pickles you might add to a sandwich, the yogurt you eat for breakfast, and the beets you toss in your salad are all examples of fermented foods.

Fermentation is nothing new. In fact, people all over the world have been preserving their foods by fermentation for thousands of years. Archaeologists have found evidence of fermented foods and drinks in Babylon (5000 BC), Egypt (3150 BC), South America (2000 BC), and Sudan (1500 BC). Unfortunately, while our grandparents and great grandparents may have had cellars full of jars of pickles, beets and sauerkraut, fermentation is a lost art for most Americans today.

So what exactly is this process? The technical definition of fermentation by biology-online.org is…
Old 11-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Rose,

If you joined the site, this s right up your alley!

(I told a like-minded woman I know about WG...and that she would find a lot of her interests discussed here. You just proved me right with this post: She is making sauerkraut.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

poison

My husband seems to take pride in eating very dated foods....I will toss things well before the weeks up but HE...Just keeps on nibbling upon things saying they are perfectly FINE to eat yet....I told him his gut's accustomed to the bacteria others couldn't handle because his father fed him such things during his childhood. They just didn't believe in tossing things. Do you think that's so? Built up a tolerance?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

Dappy> what's your friend's username? I'd love a blow by blow on how to make sauerkraut.... that's something I've never had the guts to try making myself. I did buy a crock. I've got a boatload of cabbage out there coming in. Speaking of cabbage.... any recipes other than corned beef and cabbage and cole slaw that anyone has that they like?
Old 11-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #5

My friend has a batch of kraut brewing right now. It's basically about 5# of cabbage to about 3 table or was it teaspoons of salt. Let it set for 10 days with a plate on top to weigh it all down,then skim off the darkened material that builds upon its top and use.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #6

Pigs in a blanket....Cabbage wrapped hamburger-peppers-cooked rice with tomato soup dumped over the top.
Hamburger soup.... lots of cabbage, the regular soup greens, carrots celery onions and stewed tomatoes some water.
Stir fried cabbage, soy sauce, onions etc....
Canned
Give it away...to a food pantry, a church social, salvation army, nursing home
Feed it to the deer and rabbits if you've no where else to go with it.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Dappy> what's your friend's username? I'd love a blow by blow on how to make sauerkraut.... that's something I've never had the guts to try making myself. I did buy a crock. I've got a boatload of cabbage out there coming in. Speaking of cabbage.... any recipes other than corned beef and cabbage and cole slaw that anyone has that they like?
I'm not sure if she joined. Next time I see her, I'll ask.

That reminds me, I have at least one more cabbage to harvest.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

There was a cabbage haters recipe posted here last year sometime. I remember saving it but can't remember what the recipe was called. I don't suppose anyone else can remember what it was called or where it was posted?
--
Dappy> ya.... if she joined.... sweet talk her into posting a blow by blow on exactly how to make it if you can. I know there's a little bit more to it than what hava said and we REALLY like grilled Reuben sandwiches with sourkraut on them.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #9

Boy did WE ever have the good sauerkraut last night. Home made with the most luscious sausage you could imagine. They guy said he's send a few jars our way. I can't wait!

Old 11-11-2013, 03:35 PM   #10
Official Plant Nerd

Get his recipe and then make some and photo document what you do for me paleeeeeeease!!!

Tags
benefits, eating, fermented, food, health