Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > North American News and Current Events

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #11
Heron

That's what I'm talking about...A picture is worth a 1000 words and the Asters
scream October and plenty of nectar for the trip to Mexico.

Nice Shot linrose
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:49 PM   #12
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Thanks sprucetree!

WildOnes has a nice pamphlet on monarch native host and nectar plants for all seasons. I really like the way they make it easy to handle, especially for those new to native plants, without any sort of preaching or judgment. I think their organization specializes on how to talk to the uninitiated without sounding pretentious. They are the "politicians" of native plants in a way, knowing how to talk to people of all opinions and knowledge, including the politicians! I'm thinking about their work with citizens on neighborhood "weed" laws and the like.

If anyone gets in a heated dispute over this, try this and see if this helps.

http://wildones.org/download/monarch/Wild%20for%20Monarchs%20Brochure%20Text.pdf
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #13
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
I belong to the Monarch Teacher Network and do training for them in the summer. They also have a FB page. I got in a heated argument with a woman on there a few days ago about butterfly bush.
I never post there but I watch what is going on. You were arguing with same person I was. If you look her up on Monarch Watch, you'll see her bio. And the Sarah in that thread is a friend of mine. I'm sitting on some Sullivant's milkweed seeds I should have given her many weeks ago.
KC Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:23 AM   #14
Official Plant Nerd

KC> "Real tough to fight good marketing" Granted.... there's a lot of $$$ to be made off selling these plants so the marketing will continue but.... there are an increasing number of people with common sense who are "waking" up. It's definitely an uphill battle though.... you're attempting to "educate" people on something many don't want to be educated on. It's human nature gravitating toward people who tell us what we want to hear.... who likes having their belief systems challenged?
--
"She acknowledges the Kentucky problem but says there is a lack of fall nectar for migrating monarchs (and other insects) so butterfly bushes are necessary." Butterfly bushes are necessary, eh? Show me 1 shred of scientific research backing up that statement.... it doesn't exist but... then you already know that. You won't be able to reason with someone who arrived at their position without reason. Maybe ask her what her "expert" opinion is on all the "sterile" varieties being sold then wait for her to respond then quote her and link back to this thread>>>?
Old 04-15-2013, 08:35 PM   #15
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Maybe ask her what her "expert" opinion is on all the "sterile" varieties being sold then wait for her to respond then quote her and link back to this thread>>>?
Already know the answer: Oregon is allowing the "sterile" varieties so if they are good enough for Oregon ....

From what I know about her, this is one of those rare times where she agrees with the government.
KC Clark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
agriculture, bush, butterfly, butterflybush, coming, department, flowering, oda, oregon, spring, sterile