Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > North American Native Plants

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2010, 05:52 PM   #1
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Default Seedheads and Winter Interest

Driving in to work this morning, I spotted some dried curly dock (Rumex crispus) among other seed heads. Although it is a European native that I am removing on our own property, it got me thinking about natives that have attractive seed heads or that provide winter interest.

One that seems obvious to me are milkweed pods--through the years, I'm sure I've seen them featured in artwork through the years, so I'm sure I'm not alone in finding them attractive.

Another that I love is little bluestem (Schizachyrium scoparium formerly Andropogon scoparius), especially sunlit from behind. It has an amazing color, especially in the rather drab winter landscape.

What plants provide winter interest in your yard, yarden, favorite natural setting, etc.? Please share your ideas (and pictures if you have them) to help us all add more interest to our winter landscapes.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:07 AM   #2
Unicellular Fungi

I am partial to Lespedeza capitata (Round headed bushclover), Eryngium yuccifolium(Rattlesnake master), & Sorgastrum nutans (Indiangrass). Of course these are favorites of mine through the growing season as well. Indiangrass is gorgeous in every season and turns golden in autumn.

Last edited by JulieRaeJ; 12-04-2010 at 01:08 AM. Reason: misspelling
JulieRaeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieRaeJ View Post
I am partial to Lespedeza capitata (Round headed bushclover), Eryngium yuccifolium(Rattlesnake master), & Sorgastrum nutans (Indiangrass). Of course these are favorites of mine through the growing season as well. Indiangrass is gorgeous in every season and turns golden in autumn.
JulieRaeJ,

I didn't know that Lespedeza capitata (Round headed bushclover) was native to my region, but after looking it up, I find that it is! Thanks for the suggestion. I did an image search, and although I didn't find any snow covered pictures, I did get a look at the seed heads.

Hopefully, as winter drops a white blanket onto many of our yards, members can add photos of their very own winter interest plants.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:42 AM   #4
Fox

snag5

Not many "interesting" seedheads left standing, just the common goldenrods, asters and grasses. Here are three that attract my notice while I'm out and about.
Seedheads and Winter Interest-swamp-sedge-carex-crinita.jpg
The sedge is not really that tall; I had to get low to highlight it's silhouette.

Seedheads and Winter Interest-mint-echinacea.jpg Seedheads and Winter Interest-poison-ivy-rhus-radicans.jpg
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by benj1 View Post
Not many "interesting" seedheads left standing, just the common goldenrods, asters and grasses. Here are three that attract my notice while I'm out and about.
Attachment 21563
The sedge is not really that tall; I had to get low to highlight it's silhouette.

Attachment 21564 Attachment 21565

I'm going to look into carex crinita. I'm sure that and many others will look great covered in frost or snow.

Nice that you can find the beauty in poison ivy. (although its glossy leaves are attractive too! ...I liked it a lot better when I didn't seem to get it. Two years ago, I got a fairly bad case while digging up its roots--of course I didn't know what it was as it was dormant.)
Old 01-02-2011, 07:41 PM   #6

Some winter interest I took today:
Attached Thumbnails
Seedheads and Winter Interest-045.jpg   Seedheads and Winter Interest-038.jpg   Seedheads and Winter Interest-069.jpg   Seedheads and Winter Interest-071.jpg   Seedheads and Winter Interest-112.jpg  

"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
Old 02-17-2011, 08:40 PM   #7

I was surprised to see that the seeds had not all blown away by now.
Attached Thumbnails
Seedheads and Winter Interest-079.jpg   Seedheads and Winter Interest-085.jpg   Seedheads and Winter Interest-092.jpg  
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 02-17-2011, 08:48 PM   #8

I found another shot:
Attached Thumbnails
Seedheads and Winter Interest-232.jpg  
Old 02-17-2011, 10:44 PM   #9
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

So were you tempted an helped them along?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
So were you tempted an helped them along?
I did that in the fall (along with other seeds). I've yet to plant them all but plan to this weekend.

Perhaps I can add a few more that hung out there all winter, but I'd like to let nature try to plant a few on her own. If I'd taken them all, I'd never have had the chance to get that shot!

Tags
asters, caren crinita, carex, cool weather, dormant, dormant plants, goldenrods, grasses, ground cover, interest, interesting plants, native plants, plants, seedheads, snow, spent blossoms, spent plants, winter, winter cover, winter interest, winter season