Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > North American Native Plants

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2018, 02:53 PM   #71
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Ooooo I see the first hint of green out there! Just a ting of color coming through the flattened grey mass called grass. Won't be long now

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:37 AM   #72
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjh View Post
Stop in and ask at any store with a floral dept. I'm sure you can scam a few buckets. I use them for all sorts of things. They are great for sharing plants, especially big plants!
Good idea.

One of these days I'll have to give it a try.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:38 AM   #73
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Ooooo I see the first hint of green out there! Just a ting of color coming through the flattened grey mass called grass. Won't be long now
Good to hear.

We got a slow start here...but at least it is finally happening.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:25 PM   #74
Grub

I saw my first flowers of the year, on the south facing side of some hills the rare and exquisite Dandelion was blooming!!
weedy feilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:53 AM   #75
Lungwort

Many of my seeds didnt germinate and many that did germinate have since disappeared, either eaten by bugs/slugs, killed by late frosts or damped off by excess moisture from the random torrential downpours.
Happily I still have some left, and spring is definitely here now. The grass was getting around 8" tall in places and I had to mow yesterday!
Attached Thumbnails
Plans and plants for 2018?-20180428_141644.jpg  
skip1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:07 AM   #76
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip1909 View Post
Many of my seeds didnt germinate and many that did germinate have since disappeared, either eaten by bugs/slugs, killed by late frosts or damped off by excess moisture from the random torrential downpours.
Happily I still have some left, and spring is definitely here now. The grass was getting around 8" tall in places and I had to mow yesterday!
My 1st attempt at starting from seed of 2 different species yielded about 40% germination of one and 20% of another. I have not lost any since germination. I put mine outside during the day. They sit on the south side of a dark colored building. At night I bring them inside of a barn that is about 45F inside. I water them daily.

I do have 2 smaller trays of seeds that I put outside from the start but I have had no germination yet. But its still too early to call that a success or failure at this point. I'll give it another month for that.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:35 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip1909 View Post
Looks kind of dry. I'd try watering them to see if there are any that lay dormant yet. Worth a shot instead of dumping them and even if you do dump them I always dump them in a place that IF something still sprouts from it you at least know it's more than likely a keep-able. You may not know exactly WHAT sprouted until they get a bit larger but at least you still have them

Old 04-30-2018, 12:58 PM   #78
Lungwort

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Looks kind of dry. I'd try watering them to see if there are any that lay dormant yet. Worth a shot instead of dumping them and even if you do dump them I always dump them in a place that IF something still sprouts from it you at least know it's more than likely a keep-able. You may not know exactly WHAT sprouted until they get a bit larger but at least you still have them
I think they dried out a little when i took the cover off for that picture, but it was the opposite prior to that, being so consistently moist that moss was starting to grow on the soil surface. (The cover is pictured)
I do plan to leave most of the seeds and soil in place, and thats a good idea about dumping them someplace Id want them to grow. Most of them are shade loving so maybe i will lay cardboard down over a patch and then lift it up and dump them there in the fall.
Attached Thumbnails
Plans and plants for 2018?-20180321_122304.jpg  
skip1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:31 PM   #79
Grub

I started a bunch of Queen of the Prairie and what I thought was Liatris from seed late this winter after cold treating the seed.

I didn't get them planted this spring due to weather and lack of time.
I transplanted them in larger pots so as to allow them to continue to grow before I planted them this fall.

I had so many of the mystery plants (Liatris?) and only so many pots that I even planted 2, 3 or even 4 plants in one container but I still had some left over. I planted 10 of the left over out in the old hay field where I gathered the seed from. I have been watering them almost daily to keep them going. Its taken about 2-3 weeks but the ones in the field seem to be growing now. I lost one to some critter who decided to dig it up.

The ones in the pots are doing fantastic. Some are close to a foot tall already.

The Queen of the Prairie are growing but slowly. I'll trans plant them this fall too.

Once the mystery plants out in the old field bloom I'll take some pictures. I thought they were a type of Liatris but now I'm thinking they are Ironweed.

Oh, and here is a good tip. Visit your local ma and pa garden center to get pots. Mine has piles of them. He can't use some as they are labeled, he can't sell anything in them so if no one takes them they go to a land fill. I'm fortunate my local guy acts as a clearing house for pots, people drop them off and pick them up as needed. None end up in the landfills then. A great example of reuse and reduce.
Attached Thumbnails
Plans and plants for 2018?-hay-feild-flowers-005.jpg   Plans and plants for 2018?-hay-feild-flowers-006.jpg   Plans and plants for 2018?-hay-feild-flowers-007.jpg  
Old 07-26-2018, 09:17 AM   #80

Definately not liatrus as those have strappy looking foliage

Tags
2018, plans, plants