Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   North American Native Plants (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/north-american-native-plants/)
-   -   You know summer is ending when... (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/north-american-native-plants/13088-you-know-summer-ending-when.html)

jack 08-28-2016 01:37 PM

THis summer has been a bust here in Mass. THe drought has many of the trees already in dormancy, and the flowers are all either undersized or non-existent. THere are strict watering bans in all of the towns and cities, so I'm fortunate that my natives are well established, though I'm sure I'll lose one or two that look so terrible with curled up brown leaves appearing to be already dead. We need rain very badly here- I never remember such a dry summer since I started gardening too many years ago...

dapjwy 08-28-2016 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllenW (Post 156974)
Now I see that I have new tadpoles in my water pool. Summer is hanging on. I thought I was finished adding water to that pool. Not yet

~smile~

Cool.

dapjwy 08-28-2016 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack (Post 156975)
THis summer has been a bust here in Mass. THe drought has many of the trees already in dormancy, and the flowers are all either undersized or non-existent. THere are strict watering bans in all of the towns and cities, so I'm fortunate that my natives are well established, though I'm sure I'll lose one or two that look so terrible with curled up brown leaves appearing to be already dead. We need rain very badly here- I never remember such a dry summer since I started gardening too many years ago...

I'm sorry you are going through such a severe drought, Jack.

We had an extended period with. I rain and plenty of sun and heat. I never water, but I did water all of my recent transplants, plantings, and my first year meadow germinated by seed...and those added as plugs.

You are lucky to have everything established. I basically left my established stuff to fend for themselves. We've been getting periodic rain since...sometimes quite a bit, but I did pull out the hose again yesterday for my rock garden planting in full sun. It is so unlike me to ever water this much. I guess that men's that I've put in a lot more plants (and larger sections) than I normally do. That's one more step in the right direction.

Hope you get some much needed rain, soon.

EllenW 08-29-2016 11:01 AM

I'm so sorry that you have had a drought jack. I really hate dry weather. When I was trying to establish plants here we had a drought and water restrictions. I saved rinse water from washing dishes and would put a bucket in the shower to catch some water to water plants. It was awful.

linrose 08-29-2016 04:39 PM

Wow jack, I didn't realize you guys were in such an extreme drought. Here we are on the other side of the rain spectrum with more rain than we usually get. We've seen drought years for sure and in those years we hope that our trees and shrubs will survive. I'm sure if yours are well established they will even if they take a knock back next year.

turttle 08-30-2016 12:46 PM

I saw my first yellow rumpled warbler at my feeder today! My ageratum is blooming. There was a clouded sulphur on my tithonia. And the male ruby throated hummingbirds are coming through. Their numbers have quadrupled this week, so I have to assume it is the first wave of migrants. I saw one at my tithonia, which is red but not tubular. Given the swallowtails love it, there must be a lot of nectar in those flowers.

My penstemon seeds pods are ripe and open, as are partridge peas. Hibiscus are also setting seeds. I have passion fruits galore falling off of my passiflora incarnata though it still has lots of blooms.

I can't find caterpillars on my Cardinal flower, or on all of my native viburnums which are being stripped. Snowberry clearwings cats eat viburnum as do rose hooktip moths, both of which I have, but the caterpillars are good at hiding.

I am ready for fall! These high humidity days in the nineties are getting tedious!

katjh 08-31-2016 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack (Post 156975)

We went through a very dry spell in June and July. My established natives did just fine, although they did get kind of droopy. I had to water the new plantings every other day or so. Then we went on vacation for three weeks....While we were gone, it was MONSOON season here! Lots of rain and a day with tornadoes (rare here in Grand Rapids, MI). The buckets I left out to collect rain water are full to overflowing and the friend I had lined up to water potted plants and veggies never had to come do so. We've been home since Sunday evening and I haven't had to water anything yet.

katjh 08-31-2016 08:15 PM

I know fall is approaching when the goldenrod is in full bloom. I have Canada, stiff, showy and zig-zag. They are beautiful this year. The Indian grass and big bluestem are going to seed, large-leaf aster is blooming and New England aster is about to pop any day. Goldfinches are busy, busy, busy with the Echinacea seeds and the black-eyed susan seeds. The thistles have gone to seed and have their down - also keeping the goldfinches busy. Their happy chatter in the yard all day long is such a treat! There are LOTS of seed pods on the rose milkweed and a few on the younger butterfly weed. My spicebush is slowly growing, but no seeds yet. I did see a few flowers this spring! The three elderberry bushes I have were picked clean when we got home from our vacation. Birds must have been VERY busy while we were away!

jack 09-09-2016 11:30 AM

Still without any significant rain here. There are very strict water bans throughout the area, and the effects of the drought are in evidence throughout the yard. My blueberry bushes produced these dried out small berries, and many of my shrubs have dead branches scattered amongst the foliage. Last week we were to have gotten some rain from the hurricane remnant heading up the coast, but it petered out before it arrived, and we got, perhaps, a quarter inch all told from the system.

THis is definitely the driest summer in my memory...

turttle 09-09-2016 12:16 PM

Hi, Jack! I will stop complaining of my lack of water. Overall we have had a way above average summer for rainfall but it has been coming in torrents that mostly just wash away my topsoil. Hermine gave me only 3/4 of an inch here in Chapel Hill, though it did flood most of the Outer Banks. I have been dragging a hose around to anything less than two years old, and to anything really droooping, but we are in a well and have no restrictions. I remember living in Clifornia and dealing with no water. Not fun.

I have a few red leaves on my red buckeye, which always loses its leaves early. Days are still in the 90s and my goldenrod isn't blooming, though wingstem along the roads, whichu Squally blooms with the goldenrod, has been in flower several weeks. No sign of asters yet, either.

I, too, have tadpoles in my stream again, and thousands of toadlets in my yard. Many of my perennials have gone to seed, and I am in my usual quandary of wanting to scatter the seeds to have these plants in more areas of my woods, cutting back so,the later blooming plants can be seen, and also leaving the seed heads for the birds.

I have acorns falling and am needing to,sweep dead leaves off my deck, even though they haven't turned color yet. I know it is really fall when enough acorns and leaves are falling that I have to drag out my leaf netting for the pond and stream.