Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > North American Native Plants

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #51
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenW View Post
Ok then thank you too!
~smile~. Now, I need them to survive for you so that you don't start reverting back to that superstion.

Seriously though, I hope they grow for you.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #52
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
It was late in the day, so no time to explore the park anyway.

It was funny, because Jeff was driving, while I was on the phone. As we were approaching a plaza, he asked the ame of the supermarket...by the time I interpreted the question, got an answer, and got the message delivered we were passing he said supermarket. If not for a divider between the lanes in the road, we'd have had plenty of time to turn left into the plaza. As we drove by, I told her we saw her, she waved looking around, and I quickly lowered the window and waved as we drove past. After turning around a bit down the road, we pulled in beside her. Between the laughter and excitement of wildly waving at each other as we drove past, we got out of the car and each gave her a hug.

just like our met-up with linrose last year, this was rushed and too short...but at lest we met...and shared some plants.
Funny....Sounds just like our visit with Willow...Too short, shared some plants and nice to meet one another!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:29 PM   #53
Grub

I had a few minutes today so I logged in for the first time in a while. Of course the topic starting with "Great blue lobelia" caught my eye.

My yard has a lot of shade and is moist and both red and blue cardinal flowers spread quite a bit here. In both cases the first plants I got were from plant swaps so I'm not sure if those were really are local to NJ. Later on I bought some red cardinal flowers from Bowman's in Pennsylvania.

It sounds like people got the plants they need but if people want seed I can take a look and see if anything is left. Otherwise you can let me know if you're interested in some for next year. I'm not good about mailing plants but could give some away if meeting close by.

People mentioned blue plants. Tradescantia might be more purple than blue but I gave some to a co-worker who is not into native plants and she is totally hooked on them now. I think I have Tradescantia virginiana. I'm letting her depend on their spreading since they're so hard to dig out. Lobelia on the other hand has fairly shallow roots and are pretty easy to get out.
loris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by loris View Post
My yard has a lot of shade and is moist and both red and blue cardinal flowers spread quite a bit here. In both cases the first plants I got were from plant swaps so I'm not sure if those were really are local to NJ. Later on I bought some red cardinal flowers from Bowman's in Pennsylvania.
Hi, loris!

I had huge success with the seeds you sent me last year...I just have to get them in the ground! I glad the cardinal flower is from Bowman's Hill...I buy from there and, although it is farther than I prefer, there are few option closer to me. I'm glad I had enough to share.

Quote:
I'm not good about mailing plants but could give some away if meeting close by.
Speaking of that...I still have to find the touch-me-not seeds I fathered for you.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 11-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #55
Alternate POM Judge

I thought that tradescantia sounded familiar. I call it spiderwort. I just got a new clump of it. I am hoping the flower is a different color from what I already have. I haven't had any trouble digging it up loris. I love blue flowers. I hope they spread everywhere!
EllenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:58 PM   #56
Grub

dapjwy,

I'm glad the cardinal flowers did well for you. No rush for the touch-me-not-seeds, just whenever you get a chance.

EllenW,

Are your spiderwort older too and in soil with a lot of clay? If so any secrets to digging them up other than muscle?

I also love spiderwort. The only thing I warn people about besides how they spread is that you may need to cut down the leaves at some point in the season if they start looking scraggly. I like the plant well enough it doesn't bother me even they I really go for totally low maintenance plants when you can.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #57

I finally got my blue Lobelia planted today...and some of the cardinal flower.

Quote:
dapjwy,

I'm glad the cardinal flowers did well for you. No rush for the touch-me-not-seeds, just whenever you get a chance.
I was working in the yard the past two days. It has been too long, and I miss it.

I had planned to clean inside too...and in the process, I'd probably have found the seeds. Saturday, I was out in the yard all day! Loved it. So, I never got around to the cleaning. Today I prepared a section for my various wildflower seedlings, and planted some in addition to the Lobelias.

I do hope to find your seeds and get them out to you. We'll see how this week goes.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:38 PM   #58
Alternate POM Judge

Loris my spiderwort is in just regular garden soil not clay. I guess yours is hard to dig up because it is in clay. Mine has not spread. I wish it would. I don't cut it back. I just leave it.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #59
Grub

EllenW,

Thanks for the information. I'm not sure if it'll help you but sometimes I shake out the seed-heads where I hope to get more spiderwort. Also it took a few years before it spread for the woman I gave a few to, so maybe it will over time. Otherwise it's probably due to it preferring my site to yours.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #60
Alternate POM Judge

I moved the spiderwort to a new spot on my property a year ago. It will probably take a while for it to spread. I just added more spiderwort. My friend had several colors. I hope I chose a color different from what I already had. If not I'm sure she will share more. She is downsizing her garden.

Tags
beneficial, blue, brings, great, lobelia, polllinator