Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > North American Native Plants > North American Native Plant Propagation and Winter Sowing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 01:05 AM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Awesome opportunities for folk in the greater Chicagoland

Here’s some really awesome opportunities for folk in the greater Chicagoland area to collect and grow locally native seeds…
‘Free Plants, Conservation and Reconciliation Ecology‘, Ecological Gardening: Free Plants, Conservation and Reconciliation Ecology, “When I found out about Native Seed Gardeners last year, I got on it. Native Seed Gardeners is a collaboration between Citizens for Conservation of Barrington, Friends of Spring Creek, the Forest Preserve District of Cook County, Audubon Chicago Region--and home gardeners.

Here's the deal: volunteers collect wild seed of rare plants from CFC and forest preserve property, folks at the
Chicago Botanic Garden propagate it, and the tiny plants get distributed to home gardeners to nurture and grow. Because they are perennials, the plants mostly don't flower the first year, and in fact look pretty pitiful while developing their root systems. The second year they generally flower and set seed. A few may take longer. Then we gardeners collect the seed and return it to CFC for reseeding 3,910 acres at Spring Creek Forest Preserves.”
Old 12-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

That sounds wonderful! Great to hear some good news for a change.

I wonder if they have anything like that in other states.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

Other states have similar opportunities. Did you ever join a PA native plant chapter? That's where you'd probably find opportunities like this and if not from a native plant society.... you could for sure find opportunities like this by volunteering a few hours a month at a county or state natural area. Oh oh oh.... and they train you too which means you get to learn more and meet others like yourself. Just a thought...
Old 12-16-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
Alternate POM Judge

Hey I was prompted by equil to research area native plant societies when I found this...... Bowman's Hill Wildflower Preserve Bowman Hill preserve. Is this the place you visit in New Hope dap?
Old 12-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Other states have similar opportunities. Did you ever join a PA native plant chapter? That's where you'd probably find opportunities like this and if not from a native plant society.... you could for sure find opportunities like this by volunteering a few hours a month at a county or state natural area. Oh oh oh.... and they train you too which means you get to learn more and meet others like yourself. Just a thought...
I did inquire a month or two ago...and made contact (again actually) with a nature center not too far from here. There is no local chapter, but apparently the garden club president is very much into natives. I am making steps in the right direction, and hope to post about something soon.

I really should explore more and make more contacts. It is good to network with "others like (my)self". I like your idea.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 12-19-2013, 09:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenW View Post
Hey I was prompted by equil to research area native plant societies when I found this...... Bowman's Hill Wildflower Preserve Bowman Hill preserve. Is this the place you visit in New Hope dap?
Yes, Ellen, that is the place.

It is a couple of hours south of us. I wish it were closer...it'd be a good place to start networking.

(I could've sworn I already replied to this, but I don't see it...so here it is. Sorry for the delay.)
Old 12-20-2013, 10:28 AM   #7
Alternate POM Judge

I think you composed your answer in your head previously dap. Its two hours from here. About midpoint between your place and mine. I need to look at the link I found again. There were more places listed
Old 12-20-2013, 08:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenW View Post
I think you composed your answer in your head previously dap. Its two hours from here. About midpoint between your place and mine. I need to look at the link I found again. There were more places listed
Could be. I thought I typed it and maybe forgot to submit.

Yes, there are several native plant nurseries in South-eastern, PA. I think there are a lot in the tri-state area...but I've not checked out those over the border.

(By the way, I almost did the same thing...Jeff interrupted me...we just had a 15-20 minute conversation. I almost forgot to come back to this.)
Old 12-21-2013, 07:28 AM   #9
WG Facilitator

Those are some pretty awesome opportunities, Equilibrium!
Old 12-21-2013, 11:47 AM   #10
Alternate POM Judge

I did find several places in the area. Here is the link if anyone is interested

Delaware Native Plant Society

Tags
awesome, chicagoland, folk, greater, opportunities