Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Natural History

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2011, 01:24 PM   #1
Great Horned Owl

Default Huge Asteroid Heading Our Way!

Giant asteroid heading close to Earth - Telegraph

"If it were to hit the earth, the asteroid, named YU55, would have an impact equivalent to 65,000 atom bombs and would leave a crater more than six miles wide and 2,000ft deep."

"Passing by at a distance of just 201,000 miles, the asteroid will be the largest object ever to approach the earth so close."

"Nasa has officially labelled it a Potentially Hazardous Object, but have stressed there is no danger of impact while on its current course."

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
"Nasa has officially labelled it a Potentially Hazardous Object, but have stressed there is no danger of impact while on its current course."

I don't handle change well--let's hope it stays on its current course.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:12 PM   #3
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I don't handle change well--let's hope it stays on its current course.
Have you read Cormac McCarthy's novel THE ROAD? It's an apocalyptic vision of what would be if such an event were to occur. Not pretty, with cannibalism rampant and no photosynthesis to produce any food. All animals become extinct and one would probably opt to die in the initial event than live in the conditions that McCarthy envisions occurring.

Oracle at Delphi
Old 05-07-2011, 09:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Have you read Cormac McCarthy's novel THE ROAD? It's an apocalyptic vision of what would be if such an event were to occur. Not pretty, with cannibalism rampant and no photosynthesis to produce any food. All animals become extinct and one would probably opt to die in the initial event than live in the conditions that McCarthy envisions occurring.
Nope, never read it. ...Hmmm...after your description, I can't decide if I'd want to read it or not.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 05-07-2011, 10:24 PM   #5
Heron

Six miles sounds like alot but I doubt it would throw up enough debris to block out the sun enough to stop photosynthesis for long. Man would go extinct long before ants, birds, and carrion eaters like vultures. Some say birds are the survivors of the dinosaur age and with the ability of flight would be able to migrate to food sources. Crocodiles, Rhinos, and Turtles/Herpes/Crustaceans are old timers too. I agree that going in the initial impact would be the way to go only because cannibalism and warfare are something I'd rather not experience. I was out west and in Arizona I believe a crater was formed about the size of 1000 football fields. The narrator said the heat was so intense diamonds were formed but they wouldn't let me dig any up. I always look at maps and wonder if a huge asteroid hit the earth in the gulf of mexico there and formed our current Continental crust.
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:01 PM   #6
Salamander

Quote:
Ha. Do you think it was an asteroid that initiated the apocalypse?
Sounds reasonable.

I was trying to figure out what it was. There was talk of scorch marks along the piers in that seaside town the end up (it's been ages since I read this). I was thinking some sort of nuclear event. It was quite clever of him to not actually tell you of the history of the situation I felt. You are just landed in this world.

It is a good book though. I reckon I should have played one of those creeping cannibal lurking types in the film. I look just the part
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip View Post
Sounds reasonable.

I was trying to figure out what it was. There was talk of scorch marks along the piers in that seaside town the end up (it's been ages since I read this). I was thinking some sort of nuclear event. It was quite clever of him to not actually tell you of the history of the situation I felt. You are just landed in this world.
You are kind of making me want to read it.

As a kid I read Andre Norton's Daybreak 2250 A.D. Not quite the same thing, I'm sure! This took place a generation or so after a catastrophe.

I find myself wanting to read again books I've read years ago. You'd think I'd be looking for something new.

Quote:
It is a good book though. I reckon I should have played one of those creeping cannibal lurking types in the film. I look just the part
I was going to ask you if you'd care to share a photo of yourself here, but then I realized you already did. http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/for...post85591.html It might be type casting, but if I were casting, you sure might have got the part!
Old 05-08-2011, 05:24 PM   #8
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Sounds reasonable.

I teach the book to my seniors and let them decide if it was a nuclear event or asteroid. It's the most popular story we read by vote each and every year. The worse scene: the cellar where the man has two legs amputated and cauterized as he is in the process of being the daily meal.

But, I do believe that scientists believe that enough dust could be thrust up into the atmosphere in such an asteroid event that the sun would not show its face for years. If that oncoming asteroid hit us, I think it would be bye bye for us all.

Oracle at Delphi
Old 05-08-2011, 06:39 PM   #9

Quote:
I teach the book to my seniors and let them decide if it was a nuclear event or asteroid. It's the most popular story we read by vote each and every year. The worse scene: the cellar where the man has two legs amputated and cauterized as he is in the process of being the daily meal.
Gross. Reminds me of a short story by Stephen King about a doctor stuck alone on a deserted island...he basically does the same thing, little by little to himself.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:13 PM   #10

Old thread...let me get you all up to speed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Quote:
Nope, never read it. ...Hmmm...after your description, I can't decide if I'd want to read it or not.
Funny, last night we decided to pick a movie from Netflix. After scanning a few, I spotted The Road. It sounded interesting, so we watched it...it wasn't until it was over that I remembered it being mentioned here.

I imagine the book is better (although I'm not sure I'd like to read some of the descriptions), but I thought the movie was really well done. I was fine with it, but rather disturbed by the basement scene.

It made no sense to me, though, that there was nothing growing at all...and that, after close to a decade, there was still dried grass standing. Other than that, it kept me mesmerized and kept me thinking long after watching it (okay, it's been less than 24 hours, but I'm sure I'm not done thinking about it).

Tags
asteroid, heading, huge