Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Natural Areas

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2010, 09:35 PM   #11
Official Plant Nerd

Oh you WOULD have loved it up there. It rained the three days we were knocking around so we didn't have a boatload of people out and about with us. Rain is a good thing.... it drives most folk inside.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:38 PM   #12
WG Facilitator

Wow - that was some adventure. Glad to hear you both made it back in one piece. . . .
Old 07-17-2010, 09:41 PM   #13
Official Plant Nerd

Hey lady..... where've you been hiding??? You need to come up our way and go out bumming with us. Oh the places you'll see and the things you'll do!!! Tape your ribs together with masking tape before you come so you won't break them when you laugh too hard.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:53 AM   #14
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Soooo Where should we fly off to next?
Porky Pine Mountain adventures-dscf8131.jpg
How about at the beginning, A PREQUEL!
The stories and places we've seen that precedes our grand finale' you've just read about.....Ready?

Well I thought we were all set to to go....
I knew Equill was due to come to Michigan somewhere over the 4th of July, and I knew she was leaving soon as I notice her telling everyone on the sight about going, problem was......She forgot to tell me the exact date and time she'd be here.

She's now up at her camp, With a slow, slow, slow, computer dial up system or whatever it is that isn't worth the time to do anything on, and no cell phone reception.
I leave a private message in her W.G. box in case she bleeps back in for a look see. Repeated calls to a dead phone...... Aggggggg
Family keeps asking me when I'm going... All I can tell them is sometime after the 4th...

Right before the 4th, I finally get a call from her.....It's crackling and buzzing in and out one word here one word there Click.......Dead!
Ok the call comes back in....same thing, crackle .....Meet you.... t... you nts....Zmmmmmph Dead. Another call somes in.... Can you hear me now....Hmmmm snap crickle Hello! Yes, I can hear you...You know where I am?.... Where?.... On my roof! WHAT!... Ya, I'm on my roof, that's the only place I can get any sort of reception..... Jeese. That's just as bad as crawling up the telephone pole like on Green acres to get through... We laugh...I'll pick you up at your aunts early Tuesday morning..... Dead again.....

So here I sit with a partial message again...WHEN am I suppose to be there for this pick up??? I try calling back to no avail....The weekend comes and goes along with a drenched and cancelled 4th of July display... Family's still asking me just WHEN is this trip taking place? Blank stare....I don't know...I'm suppose to meet Equill early Monday morning at your aunts....but I don't know when! She said early..... Like what 6:00? Do I just drive there and sit for however long it takes???

I make a call a few days before the meeting is to take place from our camp. Don't know how, but I GOT THROUGH! (Maybe because I was a half hour closer to her?) We quickly set the time for Monday morning.... MONDAY that's tomorrow! ....Ya didn't your son tell you I called your house?..... NO! She would have been at the pick up sight on Monday and I on Tuesday....Jeeeeese!

Well anyway 9:30 Monday morning she pulls up, I open my car and she says ALL OF THAT? Well..... We might need the blanket and pillow in case we need to sleep in the car, Cooler full of drinks, small backpack for hiking, camera and supplies, bag of food you know the bare essentials.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:39 AM   #15
Official Plant Nerd

"With a slow, slow, slow, computer dial up system or whatever it is that isn't worth the time to do anything on, and no cell phone reception." Nope.... no dial up. We got rid of the land line since our cell phones had been working good up there the last coupla years and the folk who had the satellite moved so there was no way to steal any signal.... I went computerless for weeks.... I survived!!!! None of our cell phones worked. We had to go out on the balcony then crawl up on the roof to stand like human antennas to get any signal and even then.... calls were getting dropped and most of the time we got the dreaded no service available message. It sucked. "Well anyway 9:30 Monday morning she pulls up" Ha ha ha!!! I was already there weeding away around the front of your aunt's house.... then you pulled up with goodies! Off we went!!! First road side spin around and stop for photos!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Porky Pine Mountain adventures-img_2439.jpg   Porky Pine Mountain adventures-img_2441.jpg  
Old 07-18-2010, 11:42 AM   #16
Official Plant Nerd

Next stop.... pee break. Photo of egg case up under overhang of the outhouse.
Attached Thumbnails
Porky Pine Mountain adventures-img_2442.jpg  
Old 07-18-2010, 01:01 PM   #17
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

binoculars

Quote:
First road side spin around and stop for photos!!!
I missed the vultures entirely... Good eye Equill!
When she tells you to hang on we're doing a Uie, you better hang on. Her quick turn around maneuvers impressed the heck out of me.

After the vulture fest we end up passing our first exit to Horserace Rapids.
Had nothing to do with our never ending catch up conversation we were involved in....

Porky Pine Mountain adventures-dscf8144.jpg
A view downstream.
Porky Pine Mountain adventures-dscf8155.jpg
Hypnotic swirling eddies....
Porky Pine Mountain adventures-dscf8141.jpg
What impressed me was how high up we found this set of eddie pockets.
I would guess them to be the results of some past upheaval.
Porky Pine Mountain adventures-dscf8150.jpg
You couldn't help but notice the white quartz outcroppings in the forest of green.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:15 PM   #18
Official Plant Nerd

Some close ups of the quartz and some damselflies in a wheel I found close by.
Attached Thumbnails
Porky Pine Mountain adventures-img_2451.jpg   Porky Pine Mountain adventures-img_2452.jpg   Porky Pine Mountain adventures-img_2445.jpg  
Old 07-18-2010, 01:18 PM   #19
Official Plant Nerd

I liked the hypnotic swirls. Here's some photos of the general area. Ohhhhhhhh Sage.... we DO have waterfall photos for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Porky Pine Mountain adventures-img_2448.jpg   Porky Pine Mountain adventures-img_2447.jpg  
Old 07-18-2010, 01:26 PM   #20
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Beautiful! I am waiting for more story details!!
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, adventures, agate falls, hike, hiking, michigan, mountain, mountain ledge, natural areas, outdoor recreation, outdoors, pine, porky, porky pine, porky pine mountain, recreation, recreational areas, trails, upper penninsula, waterfalls