Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Natural Areas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 12:03 PM   #21
Official Plant Nerd

A teaser of wetland vegetation along another little side path.
Attached Thumbnails
Alaka'i Wilderness... the secret garden of Kauai-img_0671.jpg  
Old 02-02-2010, 12:13 PM   #22
Official Plant Nerd

More down then more down then up then down. You're less likely to get hurt going up than down... same thing riding horses. I've taken my worst spills going down on a horse. Even so... I took a good spill going up the rock in the third photo and all I remember thinking at the time was where was that edge.
Attached Thumbnails
Alaka'i Wilderness... the secret garden of Kauai-img_0672.jpg   Alaka'i Wilderness... the secret garden of Kauai-img_0673.jpg   Alaka'i Wilderness... the secret garden of Kauai-img_0674.jpg   Alaka'i Wilderness... the secret garden of Kauai-img_0677.jpg  
Old 02-02-2010, 12:17 PM   #23
Official Plant Nerd

The beginning of the 266 steps leading into the swamp is in view.
Attached Thumbnails
Alaka'i Wilderness... the secret garden of Kauai-img_0679.jpg  
Old 02-02-2010, 03:15 PM   #24
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Love the lichen and the peep over. How long was the trail head that rough and steep?
Boy oh boy were you in for a journey. There is NO WAY my hubby would have ever gone down there!
It looks just like something you'd create in pottery class all slippery and slidey.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:57 PM   #25
Official Plant Nerd

About 1/6th of the way on rock maybe less and about half of that was steep but most of it was pitted even if it leveled off. I think he would have done it if there was more than just you on the trail. I never felt totally left to our own devices up there even though we sometimes didn't see people for hours. There were helicopters flying over at regular intervals so if you broke your leg or something you wouldn't be hanging out for the day waiting to get out. Just wave your arms to flag them down and they'd fly in close to get a better look. I think he would have done it as soon as he figured out he'd make it if he went slow. This guy is a good photographer, http://www.phlumf.com/photos/alakai/ He took some breathtaking photos of the Alaka’i Swamp that will give you a better feel for the scenery than my photos. I found some YouTube videos but they were lame and only showed the easy access areas of the swamp.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:34 PM   #26
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Welcome home, Lib, and the photo essay was thoroughly enjoyed! Please put some of your shots on the wallpaper threads!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:37 AM   #27
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Phlumf had a few interesting shots but I enjoyed yours much better.
You get into the nitty gritty or should I say the very heart of things just like I do.
My Hubby doesn't enjoy such a treacherous hike as that. As soon as he sees decline and steps involved......
I think he thinks about the journey back UP and quits before he starts. Too bad, He misses a lot.... but that's HIS way of relaxing.
I'm very fortunate that he is willing to stop to let me venture out on my own for a while.
Just wished he'd join in a bit more so I didn't feel so hurried worrying about him wondering what's taking me so long....

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:42 PM   #28
Official Plant Nerd

Hello Sage... it's good to be home in the snow!!! When I'm done with all the swamp photos you can tell me which ones you want and I'll move them over for you for sure. No problemo!!! havalotta... we gotta get your husband to rock and roll a little. A good tumble would be good for him. Here's some photos entering the actual swamp. And... I took that one photo standing straight... the boardwalk really was that tilted and it's important to stay on it!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Alaka'i Wilderness... the secret garden of Kauai-img_0681.jpg   Alaka'i Wilderness... the secret garden of Kauai-img_0682.jpg   Alaka'i Wilderness... the secret garden of Kauai-img_0683.jpg  
Old 02-08-2010, 10:44 PM   #29
Official Plant Nerd

I did go out looking for other people’s photos of the swamp again, this guy’s photos are good, http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/150983/kawaikini-waialeale.html This man provides a wonderful narrative, http://bioblog.biotunes.org/bioblog/2007/02/28/hiking-the-alakai-swamp-part-1/, “The ginger starts in a thick clump and spreads from there, quickly dominating light gaps before the slower native plants can gain a foothold. Despite the ecological damage this plant is doing, several species of ginger are still sold as ornamentals. Apparently the profits of the horticulturists are more precious to Hawai`i’s government than an ecosystem being slowly wiped forever off the face of the earth. The kahili ginger was everywhere. He also provided a species list with photos, http://www.umwestern.edu/shares/envirosci_share/laurie/lepidoptera/plants.htm And here's another peek over the side that I took.
Attached Thumbnails
Alaka'i Wilderness... the secret garden of Kauai-img_0687.jpg  
Old 02-08-2010, 10:46 PM   #30
Official Plant Nerd

I don't know what it is but I'd like to know.
Attached Thumbnails
Alaka'i Wilderness... the secret garden of Kauai-img_0690.jpg   Alaka'i Wilderness... the secret garden of Kauai-img_0692.jpg   Alaka'i Wilderness... the secret garden of Kauai-img_0691.jpg  

Tags
alaka'i swamp of kauai, alakai, alakai swamp, caldera, caldera floor, garden, hiking, kauai, kauai's alakai swamp, native areas, natural areas, photographs, pictures, pictures of natural areas, pihea trail, secret, swamp, swamp habitat, swamp of kauai, swamps, wetlands, wilderness