Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Natural Areas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
Lungwort

Default Hickory Run State Park PA 2013

Hi everyone

I am sending this to you all with photos that Dap and I got at Hickory Run State Park last week with Equilibrium and Havotta

I was using my smartphone to take the photos.....

Here they are:
Attached Thumbnails
Hickory Run State Park PA 2013-img_20130628_135315_977.jpg   Hickory Run State Park PA 2013-img_20130628_140933_074.jpg   Hickory Run State Park PA 2013-img_20130628_140855_774.jpg   Hickory Run State Park PA 2013-img_20130628_140510_714.jpg  
dapsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Great waterfall shots!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
Alternate POM Judge

Hey you take some great photos dapsguy!
EllenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #4
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Dapsguy: WOW That smartphone sure has a a great freeze frame!
Hickory Run State Park PA 2013-p1090735.jpg
I recall turning off to view a little stream Equill had spied along the way. She's real good at spotting things on the run.
Hickory Run State Park PA 2013-p1090737.jpg
That was the park with the shades of death trail, was it not?
Hickory Run State Park PA 2013-p1090754.jpg
I recall taking this shot. When I first saw you and Dapjwy go behind some trees I thought mother nature was calling but once I met up with the two of you I realized you both had hid behind the trees so I could get a natural shot without you. It was like watching you two playing hide and seek! Thank you both for being so considerate.
Hickory Run State Park PA 2013-p1090761.jpg
One of the boulders. I just couldn't slip it into the trunk.
Hickory Run State Park PA 2013-p1090763.jpg
My waterfall shots are no where NEAR as rushing as the shots you took! Was there another falls beyond the first set where Dapjwy and I stood?
Did I miss the Biggie or were those taken when there was more water flowing sometime in the past? None the less, the shots you have are pretty darn GOOD!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
I recall taking this shot. When I first saw you and Dapjwy go behind some trees I thought mother nature was calling but once I met up with the two of you I realized you both had hid behind the trees so I could get a natural shot without you. It was like watching you two playing hide and seek! Thank you both for being so considerate.
We *are* considerate that way...and considerate enough not to give into the call of nature with you just a bit down the trail from us!

--

I *love* the shot of the "Shades of Death" sign...there is something about it that looks old-fashioned and a little ominous!

--
...and your waterfall is none-too-shabby...it rivals what dapsguy took. (Although you are right; I am impressed with the shots he got from his phone!)
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I *love* the shot of the "Shades of Death" sign...there is something about it that looks old-fashioned and a little ominous!
Thank you! I switched into a different camera setting before taking that shot. Sometimes .....They work out. That time..... It did!

Old 10-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #7
Fox

Nice shots all, I really like the craftsmanship/ingenuity of the hand built stone dams.

ww
Old 10-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #8

Figures you would take notice of something like that being a hands on type of guy yourself. They must have re routed the creek for a while to create something like that wouldn't you say?

Old 10-25-2013, 01:45 PM   #9
Official Plant Nerd

And here's the beginning of the photos I've got for Hickory Run starting with some turkeys we saw on the drive to the park entrance.
--
DaMan> I can't believe that waterfall shot came off a phone!!! That's way better than any of the waterfall shots I took!!!
--
hava> I looooove that photo you took of the trail head!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Hickory Run State Park PA 2013-img_3273.jpg   Hickory Run State Park PA 2013-img_3274.jpg   Hickory Run State Park PA 2013-img_3276.jpg  
Old 10-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #10
Official Plant Nerd

Another little stop along the road on the way into the park.
Attached Thumbnails
Hickory Run State Park PA 2013-img_3277.jpg   Hickory Run State Park PA 2013-img_3279.jpg   Hickory Run State Park PA 2013-img_3280.jpg  

Tags
2013, hickory, park, run, state