Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Natural Areas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #1
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Default Merli-Sarnoski, PA 2013

Havalotta, Lib, dapsguy, and myself stopped at my favorite local park on our way down to Lehigh Gorge, Hickory Run, and Jim Thorpe. Here is where hava and Lib can add their photos. If they recall, my battery died at the park...but these were taken about a week later:

Merli-Sarnoski, PA 2013-dsc04017.jpg

Merli-Sarnoski, PA 2013-dsc03916.jpg

Merli-Sarnoski, PA 2013-dsc04120.jpg
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

Dappy> way to go!!! You did start a thread!!! How cool is that since I came home from work early not feeling the greatest and decided I'd work on more photos!!! BTW.... that last photo of yours is outstanding!!!
--
OK.... here's what I've gathered on Merli-Sarnoski Park....
The address was hard to find online for anyone trying to use a GPS but I think it’s 286 Sandy Banks Rd, Greenfield Township, PA 18407
Phone: 570-963-6764
Follow Route 106 out of Carbondale. Make a left approximately three miles from town, entrance to park on left one mile in. Park is open from 8:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. everday from the first day of trout season in April through October; and from 8:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. the rest of the year. During the winter months the park is subject to closing on county holidays. The park is closed on Christmas Day and Easter Sunday.
--
Merli-Sarnoski Park Lackawanna County
--
Here’s a little blurb on the park, Merli-Sarnoski Park Lackawanna County, “The 840-acre park features lake swimming, fishing and sports facilities but is also known for its wide expanse of untouched natural beauty. It is located just off Route 106 in Fell Township.”
Attached Thumbnails
Merli-Sarnoski, PA 2013-img_3209.jpg   Merli-Sarnoski, PA 2013-img_3227.jpg  
Old 10-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

This is 1 of the nicest county parks I’ve been to and…. I’ve been to quite a few. I'd rate it an 8 on a scale of 1-10 and that's only because I personally think they should be stocking the lake with more indigenous fishes not trout for sportsmen and using the $$$ they'd save cleaning up the garbage left behind from guests that have been tossing it in the water instead of in the garbage cans that were provided. I was pulling trash out of the water and tossing it on the grass and dapsguy was throwing it out. Such a gorgeous park to have it defiled by beer cans and food wrappers and other garbage.
Attached Thumbnails
Merli-Sarnoski, PA 2013-img_3211.jpg   Merli-Sarnoski, PA 2013-img_3212.jpg   Merli-Sarnoski, PA 2013-img_3213.jpg  
Old 10-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

There was a darner and a skimmer I’d never seen before zipping around that… try as I might…. I never could get photos of. I think if we would have been there earlier in the morning and I could have set up some stakes that I might have had a shot at getting a few of them to land in front of me. There was a little breeze so I missed out on getting a decent photo of a meadowhawk pair in a wheel position that had landed on a shrub but I did get a few photos of pairs in tandem…. 1 pair landed and posed for me on Dappy’s leg!!! I don’t know whether they were preparing to mate or had already mated and the male was just hanging onto the female protecting his sperm so she couldn’t mate with another male before laying her eggs.
Attached Thumbnails
Merli-Sarnoski, PA 2013-img_3220.jpg   Merli-Sarnoski, PA 2013-img_3232.jpg   Merli-Sarnoski, PA 2013-img_3237.jpg   Merli-Sarnoski, PA 2013-img_3242.jpg  
Old 10-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

These photos are from the other side of the lake. While Dappy and hava were yacking away with a fisherman... me and dapsguy were making our way through the brush trying to get in closer to the ducks when we found the turtle soaking up some rays.
Attached Thumbnails
Merli-Sarnoski, PA 2013-img_3246.jpg   Merli-Sarnoski, PA 2013-img_3248.jpg   Merli-Sarnoski, PA 2013-img_3253.jpg   Merli-Sarnoski, PA 2013-img_3256.jpg  
Old 10-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
BTW.... that last photo of yours is outstanding!!!
Thank you very much. I saved the bet for last...that was my favorite.

Quote:
This is 1 of the nicest county parks I’ve been to and…. I’ve been to quite a few. I'd rate it an 8 on a scale of 1-10...
I'm thrilled that it ranks so high in your esteem considering the number of parks you've been to. I was very impressed when I found it, and that is why I wanted to share it with you both. I agree with your assessment.

There is a state park closer to us, but it is not as impressive to me as the county park. I actually started trying to search out county parks hoping they'd all be more natural and with as much (or more) biodiversity.

Quote:
These photos are from the other side of the lake. While Dappy and hava were yacking away with a fisherman... me and dapsguy were making our way through the brush trying to get in closer to the ducks when we found the turtle soaking up some rays.
Great shots!

BTW, for the record, havalotta and I were stuck hanging out by the car's open window watching your purse for fear someone might steal it (along ith your car keys, hava reminded me)!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 10-23-2013, 07:31 AM   #7
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

That park DID have some great photo opportunities.
Merli-Sarnoski, PA 2013-p1090691.jpg
That was the only park in the whole trip that held such a variety of darners skimmers and dragon flies.
Merli-Sarnoski, PA 2013-p1090693.jpg
I spied a little bird across the way and zoomed in upon it. I'm unsure of it's identity though.
Merli-Sarnoski, PA 2013-p1090694.jpg
I did catch the ducks puddling about while trying to capture a trout by hand I had spied in the shadows of the pier.
It was too far of a reach to sneak in upon though. I didn't want to fall in the drink leaning so I passed on that thought.
Merli-Sarnoski, PA 2013-p1090698.jpg

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:47 AM   #8
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

After we left the park, areas cut through the rock-bed show what lay beneath.
Merli-Sarnoski, PA 2013-p1090702.jpg
Other cuts show the definite slant in the upheaval that had created the hills and valleys.

Like viewing a scene from the past. Cemeteries dot the land.
Merli-Sarnoski, PA 2013-p1090703.jpg
Church stand nearby.
Merli-Sarnoski, PA 2013-p1090705.jpg
Boxy, yet stylish homes scattered between.
Merli-Sarnoski, PA 2013-p1090706.jpg

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #9

Great shots, havalotta!

I'm not good with bird IDs but I think it could be a sparrow of some kind. But I'd not place a bet on it...what ever it is, I've seen it before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
That park DID have some great photo opportunities.
Attachment 38606
I *love* that shot...it would make a great photo of the month entry.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
After we left the park, areas cut through the rock-bed show what lay beneath.
Attachment 38610
Other cuts show the definite slant in the upheaval that had created the hills and valleys.
I remember seeing you take that shot! Great shot from a moving car!

Tags
2013, merlisarnoski