Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Natural Areas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 11:21 PM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Shawnee National Forest, Rim Rock Trail

Here's a little blurb on Rim Rock, Shawnee National Forest - Rim Rock National Recreation Trail, "A wonderfully scenic trail, Rim Rock National Recreation Trail leads around the rim of a rock escarpment, hence its name. Rim Rock has a long history of drawing people to its forested bluffs for hiking and picnicking. In 1980, it was designated a national recreation trail because of its exceptional scenic beauty and historic values. To early settlers this unique formation was known as 'the Pounds,' an old English term meaning "some sort of enclosure." This is how the valley lying to the east got its name, Pounds Hollow. A 7/8-mile trail leads the hiker around the top rim of the "Pounds," which is a circular 40-acre tract of land isolated from the surrounding terrain by steep sandstone bluffs. Interpretive signs along the trail explain the history of the much-used "pounds."
Attached Thumbnails
Shawnee National Forest, Rim Rock Trail-img_0934.jpg   Shawnee National Forest, Rim Rock Trail-img_0935.jpg   Shawnee National Forest, Rim Rock Trail-img_0939.jpg   Shawnee National Forest, Rim Rock Trail-img_0941.jpg   Shawnee National Forest, Rim Rock Trail-img_0942.jpg  

Old 11-03-2012, 11:29 PM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

My husband said he remembered an area of Shawnee called Giant City that had the 'Fat Man's Squeeze' because you'd get about half way through and there was a 90 turn where you could barely turn your head without your nose touching rock. I'm thinking the third photo might be it!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Shawnee National Forest, Rim Rock Trail-img_0944.jpg   Shawnee National Forest, Rim Rock Trail-img_0940.jpg   Shawnee National Forest, Rim Rock Trail-img_0948.jpg   Shawnee National Forest, Rim Rock Trail-img_0947.jpg   Shawnee National Forest, Rim Rock Trail-img_0949.jpg  

Old 11-03-2012, 11:32 PM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

Extremely peaceful walking through these scenic areas. It's so quiet I bet you could hear leaves hitting the ground. When we were there, it was a little windy and when we walked.... sometimes so many leaves would fall it was almost as if it was snowing.
Attached Thumbnails
Shawnee National Forest, Rim Rock Trail-img_0950.jpg   Shawnee National Forest, Rim Rock Trail-img_0951.jpg   Shawnee National Forest, Rim Rock Trail-img_0952.jpg   Shawnee National Forest, Rim Rock Trail-img_0954.jpg   Shawnee National Forest, Rim Rock Trail-img_0953.jpg  

Old 11-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

The hydrangea seemed to be sorta out of sync in that it hadn't begun to change color.
--
I don't know why but.... when I saw those shelf shrooms.... I got hungry. They looked like all they needed was some pats of butter and some maple syrup!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Shawnee National Forest, Rim Rock Trail-img_0956.jpg   Shawnee National Forest, Rim Rock Trail-img_0955.jpg   Shawnee National Forest, Rim Rock Trail-img_0957.jpg   Shawnee National Forest, Rim Rock Trail-img_0958.jpg  
Old 11-03-2012, 11:42 PM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

The 4th photo is of Ox-Lot cave. Here's a really good description of it, Shawnee National Forest - Rim Rock Trail | Shawnee Hills Outdoors, "I continue the descent down and encounter the presence of Ox-Lot Cave. The cave is actually a rock shelter that has been carved out by the patient force of creek that is off to the left. I look up and take in the mass of sandstone that looms above. It almost resemble a natural amphitheater. I test out an echo and receive an resounding answer back.

The rock overhang received its name in the early 1900′s as loggers built a fence to keep in livestock and other animals. The bluff provided a natural cover and easy access to water"
--
In looking at Ox-Lot, I can't see how it woulda provided any protection from the elements but.... it was close to water. I did test for an echo and got 1!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Shawnee National Forest, Rim Rock Trail-img_0960.jpg   Shawnee National Forest, Rim Rock Trail-img_0961.jpg   Shawnee National Forest, Rim Rock Trail-img_0959.jpg   Shawnee National Forest, Rim Rock Trail-img_0963.jpg   Shawnee National Forest, Rim Rock Trail-img_0964.jpg  

Old 11-03-2012, 11:48 PM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

I found this little guy when I went ahead of hava so she could take a potty break... he he he.... somebody should ask her how brave she was going when she did BECAUSE I told her there were 2 people coming our way not far behind us!!! Talk about risking getting caught with your pants down!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Shawnee National Forest, Rim Rock Trail-img_0969.jpg   Shawnee National Forest, Rim Rock Trail-img_0973.jpg   Shawnee National Forest, Rim Rock Trail-img_0974.jpg   Shawnee National Forest, Rim Rock Trail-img_0976.jpg  
Old 11-03-2012, 11:50 PM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

I'm hoping hava got a photo of the ancient stone wall since I had to delete a few photos that were totally black after I took the photo of the plaque. I'm constantly taking my lens cap on and off and I think I screwed up and took the photos with it on... oopsie!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Shawnee National Forest, Rim Rock Trail-img_0977.jpg   Shawnee National Forest, Rim Rock Trail-img_0978.jpg  
Old 11-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #8
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

For those of you wishing to view THIS particular area it is "East" of The garden of the Gods In Shawnee national forest....
Shawnee National Forest, Rim Rock Trail-p1000713.jpg
A lone tree takes upon a bit of purple tone.
Shawnee National Forest, Rim Rock Trail-p1000715.jpg
Vintage growth.
Shawnee National Forest, Rim Rock Trail-dscf7233.jpg
Natures.....Starry-eyed
Shawnee National Forest, Rim Rock Trail-p1000720.jpg
An overhead shot of fat mans squeeze
Shawnee National Forest, Rim Rock Trail-p1000721.jpg
The path leading down to it.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:25 PM   #9
Official Plant Nerd

That Cercis canadensis was literally dripping seed. If..... only I coulda reached the seed on that Redbud. I tried!! I jumped and all but stood on my head nekkid trying to get at it and I couldn't reach ANY of that seed!!! I'm too short!!!
--
Really awesome photo of the Redbud hava!!!! I don't think I've ever seen 1 so laden in seed pods before.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #10
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I must have missed the stone wall entirely....Sorry
Shawnee National Forest, Rim Rock Trail-p1000723.jpg
When traversing the trails spend a few moments to look at the awe that also lies behind you.
Shawnee National Forest, Rim Rock Trail-p1000729.jpg
The tiny little black dot in the far right would be....Equill
This gives you a little bit of the feel of the meager protection provided by the expansive coverage of the OxLot cave. It was rather homey once you settled in with your back against the wall.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest, national, rim, rock, shawnee, trail