Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Natural Areas (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/natural-areas/)
-   -   Laurel Hill State Park, Pennsylvania (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/natural-areas/10996-laurel-hill-state-park-pennsylvania.html)

Equilibrium 11-02-2012 11:14 AM

Laurel Hill State Park, Pennsylvania

4 Attachment(s)
A little blurb on Laurel Hill, PADCNR-Laurel Hill State Park, “Laurel Hill State Park consists of 4,072 acres of mountainous terrain in Somerset County. The 63-acre Laurel Hill Lake is a focal point of the park. Laurel Hill is surrounded by thousands of acres of pristine state park and state forest lands. A trail system invites visitors to hike and explore the park and observe the diversity of plants and wildlife. Hemlock Trail passes through a beautiful stand of old growth hemlocks.”
--
They have quite a few trails ranging from easy… the Pumphouse Trail…. To difficult…. the Bobcat trail. These photos are from the Pumphouse and Waterline trails taken the end of September. They said the Waterline trail was moderate. I found it to be easy so I’m thinking the trails marked as difficult might not be all that difficult. I was limited to where I could walk and how many photos I could take because I stopped in by myself on the way to Pope’s house and was tagging along behind a park employee who was preparing for Earth Day I think he said. If he hadn’t been out and about on the grounds…. the only trail I woulda felt comfortable walking was the Pumphouse Trail because there were a few families with little kids in front of me. The Pumphouse Trail must be the most popular. There were quite a few folk taking it…. not so for the Waterline Trail. The only person I saw on that loop was the forester.

Equilibrium 11-02-2012 11:17 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Look at this log!!! Isn't it gorgeous with the decompostion crew having a go at it!!!

Equilibrium 11-02-2012 11:18 AM

4 Attachment(s)
There's the caterpillar suunto identified for me!!! There were magnolias everywhere hiding in the tree lines…. they probably put on a real good show in spring.

Equilibrium 11-02-2012 11:21 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This is Jones Mill Run Dam on the Pumphouse Trail. I was surprised it was running because PA was a little droughty this year like the rest of us.
--
Laurel Hill is a park that’s well maintained. You can tell they’re really working hard at controlling the invasives throughout the entire park. I’d really like to go back to it someday… not by myself…. so I could take some of the other trails.
--
Pennsylvania is a GORGEOUS state!!! I can't wait to drive through it getting to Dappy's house next year!!!

havalotta 11-09-2012 10:46 AM

Nice place.
If you're not comfortable walking by yourself carry a can of pepper spray with you. It's a great confidence builder.

Equilibrium 11-09-2012 03:28 PM

I carry that yellow crow bar under my jacket or the little baseball bat I kept between us when I was driving. I'm too afraid of nailing myself with pepper spray instead of someone trying to mug me for the coupla $$$ I carry on my person.

havalotta 11-09-2012 03:45 PM

Taking photos would be so much easier not worrying if a crowbar's going to drop out in the take.:crazy1

Sage 11-09-2012 03:56 PM

Beautiful photos! Love the mushrooms and the black cat! Strange photo equipment though...crow bars, baseball bats...
:D

havalotta 11-09-2012 04:00 PM

Crows and bats......... :jawdropping Oh my

dapjwy 11-09-2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Equilibrium (Post 123195)
Laurel Hill is a park that’s well maintained.

Pennsylvania is a GORGEOUS state!!! I can't wait to drive through it getting to Dappy's house next year!!!

That is not the park I thought it was...I don't think I've been there...would be nice to visit I the spring.

...What a wonderful thing to say! PA really is beautiful...it is pretty much all I know...and that is why it would be hard for me to move anywhere that was drastically different in the trees, wildflowers, and communities I'm used to. So, I guess I'm stuck with the winters.

...it is also nice to hear that you are looking forward to driving through again to come here. I really hope that I can get motivated and make some more improvements--I'd love for it to look its best.