Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Natural Areas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL

Take a stroll through the Shawnee National Forest with me and hava!!! Here’s some basic info on the park, Shawnee2520National2520Forest-2520Home/ and Shawnee National Forest.
Attached Thumbnails
Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0738.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0739.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0741.jpg  
Old 10-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

If anyone’s been to Shawnee before… are you catching what’s showing up on the new signage in my 2nd photo? Shocker, eh? Sorta a tear jerker…. at least to me it was.
Attached Thumbnails
Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0774.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0775.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0776.jpg  
Old 10-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

The 1st trail we took in Garden of the Gods was Observation Trail. It’s the most popular and I remember it being what I visited 1st when I went there years ago…. it’s timeless… little has changed and it’s being maintained which is encouraging since it is part of OUR rich natural heritage. It’s breathtakingly beautiful at this time of year. I’ve never been to Shawnee during the fall and when I was there…. I didn’t have a digital camera. I have to admit Shawnee is at its peak at this time of year so I had a blast taking photos, Garden of the Gods - Shawnee National Forest - Illinois | Shawnee Hills Outdoors and Garden of the Gods - Southern Illinois - Shawnee Forest, “More than 320 million years ago, the wind and rain patiently started to chisel away at large deposits of sedimentary rock located in what is now, Shawnee National Forest . Over the years, the elements have sculpted some of the most stunning and extraordinary rock formations known to man. This garden of sandstone sculptures and vast untouched wilderness was fittingly named Garden of the Gods.
The park contains a variety of plant and animal life, adding to the scenic beauty of the Shawnee Forest. Garden of the Gods covers more than 3,300 acres of forest throughout the Southeastern Illinois counties of Saline, Pope and Hardin.”
Attached Thumbnails
Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0743.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0742.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0745.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0746.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0747.jpg  

Old 10-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

The “bizarre” bands appeared in virtually all the rock formations. They sure did make for great Kodak moments what with the way the sun was poking in and out of the clouds.
Attached Thumbnails
Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0749.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0750.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0751.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0752.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0754.jpg  

Old 10-29-2012, 04:02 PM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

The 1 thing about the fall is that the weather is unpredictable. If you stick to the trails…. you should be ok as long as they’re not wet or covered in leaves and there’s no strong gusts of winds. Wet leaves can be worse than walking on sheets of ice so “beware” if you’re thinking of doing the park at this time of year. It can get pretty “hairy” even if you’re used to being out and about on trails.
Attached Thumbnails
Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0755.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0756.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0759.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0758.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0761.jpg  

Old 10-29-2012, 04:04 PM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

These are pretty much the last of the decent photos I’ve got from the Observation Trail so you’re gonna have to wait for hava to add her goodies and then I’ll add photos from the Indian Point Trail…. I’m still working on cropping and resizing those so it’s gonna be a few days!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0763.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0764.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0765.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0768.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0769.jpg  

Old 10-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

A few pretties along the trail we could reach without losing our balance and going over!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0771.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0772.jpg  
Old 10-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #8
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

I LOVE those rocky formations, Lib! And the autumn leaves especially set off the pix! Great job!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:19 PM   #9
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-p1000505.jpg
Snaking through the Observation trail via Havalotta.
Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-p1000509.jpg
Notice how the raised bands have resisted weathering.
Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-p1000524.jpg
Top of the world MA!
Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-p1000527.jpg
Believe me...You do NOT want to look over the edge just for a look see!
Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-p1000528.jpg
There are some pretty nice trail systems in this park but as Equill's already stated...DO NOT traverse it in rainy or wet weather! It is VERY slippery!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:29 PM   #10
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-p1000544.jpg
Oh really?
Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-p1000533.jpg
My favorite of the long shots.
Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-dscf7211.jpg
A ritual platform.
Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-p1000508.jpgShawnee National Forest in Southern IL-p1000542.jpg
It's amazing how things are able to set foot.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest, national, shawnee, southern