Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Natural Gardeners Unite > Mulch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2009, 07:59 PM   #1
WG Ways and Means

Default Ultimate mulch recycler

Any one got one of these
Attached Thumbnails
Ultimate mulch recycler-cartoon2.jpg  

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
Green Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:03 PM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

No but I'd like to have a more efficient mower that mulches. It would be nice in fall to be able to mulch all of the leaves that hit the ground on the lawn. As it is now they end up in piles from the wind. Oak leaves don't break down for over a year so we have to move ours off of plants.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:50 PM   #3
WG Facilitator

I need one of those! How would I convince the neighbor's cows to hop on my mower?
Old 05-26-2009, 09:14 AM   #4
Heron

It fertilizes too.
milkweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:31 PM   #5
Big Fat juicy WORM

Oh yeah!!!
Old 07-16-2012, 12:45 AM   #6
Heron

snag2 I bought a wood chipper

It's used but looks like new, Of course the new ones have plastic chutes, Mines all metal and might be a few model years old.
It's nice to have a brush-pile turn to mulch and then put it away for the next project.
After I chipped up the Norway Maples It opened the door for a gust of wind to snap the limb of the Box Elder, While trimming up the limb I did see Carpenter Ants; If you ever see these big black ants climbing your trees or house for that matter do some detective work and find the moist wood.

Lucky for my car the limb that broke was opposite the car and landed on the Arborvitae hedge; They are flexible and should bounce back soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Ultimate mulch recycler-box-elder-split7-5-12-002.jpg  
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

Ahm sooooo jealous. I've wanted a wood chipper for the longest time!!!! Lucky you!!! Come to think of it.... I've wanted us to buy a log splitter for the longest time too. Used would be the best!!! Nobody's selling em though.
--
Silly totally off topic question for you.... did you ever see the movie 'Fargo'? I know.... my bad but I start laughing every time I see our friend's wood chipper when I think of how that wood chipper was used in the movie.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:09 PM   #8
Heron

So far I've used it to chip up to 1'' limbs and anything bigger is saved for firewood. The ones they pull on the trucks chip up to 4 inch logs but they run about 5K and have 4 cylinder engines. My Craftsman has a 6 hp engine and there's no way you can get your hands in the chipping mechanism. I've also used it for making mulch out of vines and leaves that would take months to compost. With the chipper what you make can be turned easily. It's also great to sheet mulch...I left the chips on some grass I wanted killed and the mulch took care of that.

I did see Fargo but they cut out the wood-chipper scene. I'm not one to sit through gory movies after I saw Jeepers Creepers.

Log Splitters are on Craig's List but very rarely. Most are powered by a PTO which means you need a tractor and the portable ones are most likely to be abused.

I imagine you could rent one but putting some logs in a few stacked tires is a down and dirty way to get a good work-out.
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #9
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Ahm sooooo jealous. I've wanted a wood chipper for the longest time!!!!
Right AFTER I bought a wood chipper, I read a recommendation that you skip buying one, and RENT the best one you can afford. Anything short of the huge ones you see the highway department using, that can handle anything, is going to be disappointing.

You'll only be able to shred the smaller stuff, and even though they're supposed to make short work of leaves, the smaller ones clog easily. Anything that's really hard wood or has knots will cause a problem too, as well as limbs with branching.

After using mine, I'd have to agree. Stockpile your to-be-shredded-goodies, save your pennies, and rent a big mamma-jamma shredder.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:54 PM   #10
WG Operations, Facilitator

Equilibrium,
I have a Sears Craftsman Wood Chipper in my garden shed. Paid $850 for it new. X-husband used it twice before he walked out on me. I can't pull the gas motor starter. It's for sale because I don't think I'll be allowing another man in my life just to start my wood chipper.

Make an offer and come pick it up. The offer is good for anyone on the forum.

Tags
branches, chip, chipper, limps debris, mulch, recycler, shred, tree limbs, trees, ultimate, wood, wood chipper, woodchipper