Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Mulch (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/mulch/)
-   -   Ultimate mulch recycler (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/mulch/2133-ultimate-mulch-recycler.html)

Green Man 05-25-2009 07:59 PM

Ultimate mulch recycler

1 Attachment(s)
Any one got one of these :D

Equilibrium 05-25-2009 08:03 PM

No but I'd like to have a more efficient mower that mulches. It would be nice in fall to be able to mulch all of the leaves that hit the ground on the lawn. As it is now they end up in piles from the wind. Oak leaves don't break down for over a year so we have to move ours off of plants.

biigblueyes 05-25-2009 08:50 PM

I need one of those! How would I convince the neighbor's cows to hop on my mower?

milkweed 05-26-2009 09:14 AM

It fertilizes too.

doccat5 05-26-2009 04:31 PM

Oh yeah!!!

sprucetree 07-16-2012 12:45 AM

I bought a wood chipper

1 Attachment(s)
It's used but looks like new, Of course the new ones have plastic chutes, Mines all metal and might be a few model years old.
It's nice to have a brush-pile turn to mulch and then put it away for the next project.
After I chipped up the Norway Maples It opened the door for a gust of wind to snap the limb of the Box Elder, While trimming up the limb I did see Carpenter Ants; If you ever see these big black ants climbing your trees or house for that matter do some detective work and find the moist wood.

Lucky for my car the limb that broke was opposite the car and landed on the Arborvitae hedge; They are flexible and should bounce back soon.

Equilibrium 08-13-2012 07:48 PM

Ahm sooooo jealous. I've wanted a wood chipper for the longest time!!!! Lucky you!!! Come to think of it.... I've wanted us to buy a log splitter for the longest time too. Used would be the best!!! Nobody's selling em though.
--
Silly totally off topic question for you.... did you ever see the movie 'Fargo'? I know.... my bad but I start laughing every time I see our friend's wood chipper when I think of how that wood chipper was used in the movie.

sprucetree 08-13-2012 10:09 PM

So far I've used it to chip up to 1'' limbs and anything bigger is saved for firewood. The ones they pull on the trucks chip up to 4 inch logs but they run about 5K and have 4 cylinder engines. My Craftsman has a 6 hp engine and there's no way you can get your hands in the chipping mechanism. I've also used it for making mulch out of vines and leaves that would take months to compost. With the chipper what you make can be turned easily. It's also great to sheet mulch...I left the chips on some grass I wanted killed and the mulch took care of that.

I did see Fargo but they cut out the wood-chipper scene. I'm not one to sit through gory movies after I saw Jeepers Creepers.

Log Splitters are on Craig's List but very rarely. Most are powered by a PTO which means you need a tractor and the portable ones are most likely to be abused.

I imagine you could rent one but putting some logs in a few stacked tires is a down and dirty way to get a good work-out.

biigblueyes 08-14-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Equilibrium (Post 118705)
Ahm sooooo jealous. I've wanted a wood chipper for the longest time!!!!

Right AFTER I bought a wood chipper, I read a recommendation that you skip buying one, and RENT the best one you can afford. Anything short of the huge ones you see the highway department using, that can handle anything, is going to be disappointing.

You'll only be able to shred the smaller stuff, and even though they're supposed to make short work of leaves, the smaller ones clog easily. Anything that's really hard wood or has knots will cause a problem too, as well as limbs with branching.

After using mine, I'd have to agree. Stockpile your to-be-shredded-goodies, save your pennies, and rent a big mamma-jamma shredder.

BooBooBearBecky 08-15-2012 04:54 PM

Equilibrium,
I have a Sears Craftsman Wood Chipper in my garden shed. Paid $850 for it new. X-husband used it twice before he walked out on me. I can't pull the gas motor starter. It's for sale because I don't think I'll be allowing another man in my life just to start my wood chipper.

Make an offer and come pick it up. The offer is good for anyone on the forum.