Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability > Livestock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 03:55 PM   #11
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeWonderful View Post
We would love to have hens! But they are not permitted under our city ordinances.
So you get a few girls and you hide them. Do you know how many folks can not have chickens that ave them anyways? Thousands and thousands. Just do not get a rooster. Oh you have to be on very good terms with your neighbors. I live on a corner lot, my next door neighbor is dead and the house is empty and will stay that way for several more years. And the other neighbors love my eggs lol. I have 10 girls.
Doozerdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #12
Heron

Thanks, I have some time and I going to watch those videos right now
liquidambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #13
Heron

Ah those were good videos.
The commercial chicken houses that are fryers - I noticed had way too many chickens - never was it that crowded when I was growing up.

I really had my nose all long when it came to the commercial egg laying houses too. They have come a long ways - I see that what the universities were really doing was studying how many you can put in a cage and they still will live and produce.

And here we all thought they were seeing how many they could put in a certain size cage and would remain top line healthy!

"Just good business."

Might be the most cruel saying of all. Wow!
Oh and the guy that put up a cock fighting business right in the back door of what looked to me - to be a subdivision with a lot of land---- was a red neck!
And even the red necks knows you go to the far corners of really rough farms to do such business.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:26 PM   #14
Salamander

Thanks for posting those videos, Lib! I have started watching, and now I am hooked. Love chickens, wish I could have some myself... my dad used to raise banties and silkies to sit on his waterfowl eggs. (He raised many different kinds of waterfowl, pheasants, and peafowl.) I will never forget one lovely little banty (if I spelled that right) that raised two young peafowl. Watching those huge youngsters follow her and be bossed by her was such a hoot! Such good memories!
scarecrowsdrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:11 PM   #15
Heron

scarecrowsdrm; I would have loved to have seen those peacocks and little banty.
There was one video about a girl helping out two chicks from a double yolk egg.
I mentioned it to my parents the other day. They were so excited by the whole subject. Mother kept on repeating -
"They told us never to set a double yolk - they won't make it."
"Did they make it?"
"They told us never to set a double yolk - they won't make it."
"Did they make it?"

I noticed the first chick out bled a great deal and the girl was trying to hide it with her hand.

She went back and checked them later and said they were still breathing. Still it was a bit early and the first chick did lose a lot of blood.

I am going to show that video to my parents - she is going to love it!
Old 01-07-2013, 07:24 PM   #16
Official Plant Nerd

I'm so happy you all loved those chicken videos. I've watched them again and still get a kick out of them. I'm really glad I'm not the only chicken "softie" out there.
--
scarecrow> are you gonna break down and try chickens again?
Old 01-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #17
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I'm so happy you all loved those chicken videos. I've watched them again and still get a kick out of them. I'm really glad I'm not the only chicken "softie" out there.
--
scarecrow> are you gonna break down and try chickens again?
No darlin'---my Dad had the chickens. I did have three escapees from my eyesore redneck neighbor one year and they loved my yard---but their scratchin' in my carefully mulched areas gave me fits. Almost as bad as the armadillo! Rooster Bob (as I called him) loved his freedom and would not be caught and the two girls ended up being predator fodder, I think. The coons always got to their eggs first, and probably got 'em while they were setting under a bush somewhere. Bob lived for at least a year in freedom, crowing from my trees every dawn until he too disappeared. He was a pain in the ass but I missed him anyway. I adore chickens, don't get me wrong, but hubby's idea of a chicken coop would be pitiful (he is no handyman, god luv 'im) and I have no time myself to invest in that and the proper upkeep myself. Soooo many projects, so little time, must pick and choose! But when (and if) I retire, who knows?
scarecrowsdrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #18
Official Plant Nerd

Well.... if ya ever change your mind.... lemme know. Sometimes on Craigslist you can find whole coops for $1 if you haul them off their property. The few I saw were really nice and only needed a coat of paint and maybe some shingles. I saw them AFTER we built ours. Figures, eh? Having too many projects is probably the deal breaker though until you're retired. Anywhooo... I'm sure I'm gonna be in a position to share fertile eggs sooner or later and I've got some nice docile breeds here.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:27 AM   #19
Official Plant Nerd

Now I'm bumping this for EW!!!
Old 01-06-2014, 11:21 AM   #20
Alternate POM Judge

Oh thank you thank you equil. I didn't think about searching for chickens on youtube instead of watching those true crime videos.

Tags
backyard, chicken story, chicken video, chickens, chicks, coop, funny, hens, humor, humorous, roosters, set, stories, thinking, video, youtubes