Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability > Livestock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #11
WG Facilitator

Wow - that was some tutorial. We've been thinking of getting chickens. I emailed this thread to me, to make sure I can find it again when I need it.

Thanks for the detailed info.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:41 PM   #12
Official Plant Nerd

I actually started that for folk I work with and then I got to thinking about a few people here who are toying with the idea of backyard chickens some day down the road and figured I might as well type out what's been working for me and start supporting it with photos for anyone who needs a visual. There's so much info online it gets overwhelming. The sheer volume is intimidating.... it's stopping ordinary folk from taking the plunge which is a shame. Folk want to know somebody IRL whose done it before they commit is what I'm learning.
--
I'm not the only 1 with chickens anymore. Anytime anyone came over... I gave them a carton of fresh eggs. The more photos I brought in to work and the more mason jars of canned chicken I passed around.... the more interest there was and I really think everyone started realizing that if I could do it.... they could do it. Which is totally true.... it's not rocket science but... it does require a little bit of hand holding.
--
1 thing I forgot to mention was try real hard locating a vet that will take poultry before you order chicks. I sure had a rough time finding a vet. Local vets don't do livestock.... there's not enough $$$ in pet chickens to cover their overhead and I doubt there's enough to even keep their lights on. The vets specializing in birds didn't exactly want a $5 chicken in their waiting room with 10k parrots.... we're bad for business. All vets are decent people but.... they've got bills to pay and reality is dogs and cats keep their doors open. You'll find a vet.... it just might take a while. The poultry vet will become your best buddy and.... they'll take a lot of stress off you just being there if something goes wrong. What's been really great for me is that my chicken vet does rabbits. I lucked out!!!
Old 05-24-2012, 09:35 AM   #13
WG's Mr. Tomato Head

Equilibrium-

Well done.

Feature Articles would benefit from a 'Day Olds 101' article.
"If gardening isn't a pleasure for you, chances are the work will merely give you a rotten disposition. If you'd rather be golfing or fishing, get a bumper sticker that says so, and forget gardening."
Elsa Bakalar
WG Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:50 PM   #14
Heron

Since having a broody I will never do chicks again, she has raised the babies so well and the heat you say these chicks need, well I beg to differ these days. Mama had them chicks only days old out side and in the cold and running around the yard for hours, then after 2 weeks she had them on the high roost. Next by buying pullets and letting someone else raise the girls for 12 weeks it was cheaper and far easier then ever having chicks again! The cost... 12 dollars for each pullet, and I have already begun integrating them into into my established flock. Will I ever do chicks the brooder way again? No, it was to time consuming, costly and a pain in the arse. In less then 2 months my pullets will be laying, and my babies will by fall. The mama did my job, and the person I bought my pullets from did the work, I'm thrilled to have my chickens with out all the extra consuming time!
I will post my new girls lib you are a good livestock woman, I wish I was more like you, you are are at work and know your business girl!
Doozerdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:09 AM   #15
Official Plant Nerd

Admin> What I typed out is a total mess. Thoughts are all over the place. Totally sloppy writing that would need a major overhaul that I don't think I'll have time to clean up anytime soon. I will try though.... does that count?
--
Doozer> You forgot when you were BRAGGING about having a broody that the chicks will be healthier and better adjusted and that with a momma fussing over them.... they're well protected from older chickens. The survival rate on chicks raised your way is much higher too!!! Ohhhhhh woe is me..... not 1 chicken that's gone broody yet!!! Talk about timing.... midway through typing this the phone rang and it's my PO telling me my 30 black broiler chicks are here!!!! I'm off to go get my babies!!!
Old 05-25-2012, 08:45 AM   #16
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Admin> What I typed out is a total mess. Thoughts are all over the place. Totally sloppy writing that would need a major overhaul that I don't think I'll have time to clean up anytime soon. I will try though.... does that count?
--
Doozer> You forgot when you were BRAGGING about having a broody that the chicks will be healthier and better adjusted and that with a momma fussing over them.... they're well protected from older chickens. The survival rate on chicks raised your way is much higher too!!! Ohhhhhh woe is me..... not 1 chicken that's gone broody yet!!! Talk about timing.... midway through typing this the phone rang and it's my PO telling me my 30 black broiler chicks are here!!!! I'm off to go get my babies!!!
Sorry for the bragging girl, I hope you get a broodie some time soon. I can tell you, silkies are the biggest brooder there is, next the buff orphington . My buffs go on and out at least 3 times this last year. My buff is done raising the babies, except for the night time sleeping on the roost with them under her wing, she has taught them well.
Good luck on your broilers, sounds like meat in about 3 months ! I have a friend who does broilers, I'm set to purchase 10 from her . She takes about 4 months to get hers where she wants them with out over feeding so there health does not go down hill. Bought a lamb for mom, a beef for me, will have them both butchered in August.
I'm off to work, looking forward to seeing your broilers! Call you tomorrow!
Doozerdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:54 AM   #17
Official Plant Nerd

My beautfiul black baby broilers came in and.... while I was there.... they told me the order for a run of 5 male dorking chicks came in too!!! I was expecting both and had tried to time delivery for my day off so I'm 1 happy camper!!! Here's photos of my male dorkings. Without flash.... they photograph better than the black broilers.
Attached Thumbnails
Better Hens and Gardens….-img_9073.jpg   Better Hens and Gardens….-img_9074.jpg   Better Hens and Gardens….-img_9080.jpg  
Old 05-25-2012, 08:59 AM   #18
Official Plant Nerd

Ohhh Doooooooozer.... I came up with 1 plus to a brooder over a broody. My brooder can do 35 chicks at once!!! Nanner nanner nanner. The thought of 1 poor broody frantically trying to take care of 35 chicks sends me into fits of giggles because.... I don't know a broody out there that wouldn't try! She'd fail but... she'd try.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:12 AM   #19
Official Plant Nerd

OMG.... I was typing when you were typing and didn't even catch you'd posted. It's ok.... you can brag... I'd be bragging if I had 1 that's for sure. I'm happy for ya that you've got a broody. I just wish 1 of my 3 large fowl blue orpingtons would go broody but so far no luck and that's why I bought them. I had high hopes 1 would turn broody. No such luck yet. Silkies are too small for me and I don't know that they'd fare too well this far north without heat in our coop but you're 100% on the money.... they'll sit on brillo pads. Another breed that's supposedly guaranteed to go broody is a Sumatra but.... I've seen those and I think that'd be too much bird for us. They're flighty and sorta on the aloof and anti-social side.
--
About the black broilers.... they're a little bit slower to develop than the white broilers but they don't go down on their legs as fast. I'm thinking you're on the money again. The white broilers can be taken in at around 8-10 weeks. The blacks at about 10-12 weeks.
--
"My buff is done raising the babies, except for the night time sleeping on the roost with them under her wing, she has taught them well." Awwww. I have a funny story about some of the chicks we hatched last year. When we let them out into their run the 1st coupla times.... I stood back from them then squatted down to encourage them to move around. They bee lined it for me and I thought awwwww..... how cute.... they love me. They weren't bee lining to me.... they were bee lining to get underneath me. And underneath me they stayed until I stood up. It's a scary world out there when you're up against much older chickens!!!
Old 05-25-2012, 06:38 PM   #20
WG Operations, Facilitator

chicken

Equilibrium,
Thanks for creating this wonderful and most informative thread about baby chicks. Better Hens and Gardens is a fantastic title for it!!!

I enjoyed all the tips you posted, the step by step directions, the photos, and the links to various websites for chicken gear. Most of all I love hearing your chicken stories. Giggled like crazy when you said your baby chicks all scooted underneath you while squatting. That's the picture I will forever have in my head of you! LOL!!!

Doozerdoo-You have much to contribute under the chicken topic. It's nice to have members in our forum with real chicken raising experiences.

I would have give anything to see a photo of this........
Quote:
My buff is done raising the babies, except for the night time sleeping on the roost with them under her wing, she has taught them well.
Five stars for "Team Chicken" Equilibrium and Doozerdoo!

Tags
baby chicks, backyard, brooder, brooder set up, brooders, care, caring, chickens, chicks, day old chicks, feeding, gardens, gardens…, hens, hens and gardens, photos, poultry, setup, step by step, water