Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Landscape and Garden Design

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2011, 10:06 PM   #51
Carbon

Bringing Nature Home: I checked it out from our local library after reading about it here. I finished it in a little over a day and still managed to get over eight hours of gardening done each day. It is a really good book and a pretty quick read. The kids got fed too but the laundry and dishes piled up pretty bad.
2acresOFdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:23 PM   #52
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2acresOFdreams View Post
Bringing Nature Home: I checked it out from our local library after reading about it here. I finished it in a little over a day and still managed to get over eight hours of gardening done each day. It is a really good book and a pretty quick read. The kids got fed too but the laundry and dishes piled up pretty bad.
~smile~ The kids got fed...I'd say you did pretty well!

Looks like you joined a while back, but you are new to me, so, "Welcome to WildlifeGardeners."
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:35 AM   #53
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
I had the same riveting experience with Tallamy's book. It sure did end some ill=advised gardening practices I was doing when I read it. Indeed, it caused me to cut down a very large Japanese Maple as well as my string of 15' tall butterfly bushes.

BTW, I liked the thread you tacked your message on to. Started by Cirsium, it is a great one with a terrific attachment to a very rich source of knowledge.

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:06 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Indeed, it caused me to cut down a very large Japanese Maple...
Aw...and here I thought I was the one who convinced you to cut down the Japanese maple!

(...something I've yet to do--though I didn't plant it! ...Does that make me a hypocrite? ...or maybe just a procrastinator?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
I ...as well as my string of 15' tall butterfly bushes.
Great job, jack!

I have never been tempted to buy the butterfly bushes...however, I have a hard time explaining or convincing anyone why they should not be in the yard. (I've only had two of these conversations in about 5 years.)
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 07-03-2011, 12:34 AM   #55
Carbon

I like to read and get ideas from the other members but I do not usually post anything. I just really liked the book. I changed some plant selections for a new garden area from CA natives to natives from my area after reading it.
2acresOFdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:56 AM   #56

Quote:
I like to read and get ideas from the other members but I do not usually post anything. I just really liked the book. I changed some plant selections for a new garden area from CA natives to natives from my area after reading it.
Well, glad you are enjoying the forum...and glad you decided to post. When something like that inspires you, it is hard not to share. I'm glad it had such an impact on you.

Post when you feel like it...meanwhile enjoy doing what you do.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:30 AM   #57
Heron

Butterfly Bushes 15 feet tall? I imagine Michigan Winters must be harder on Butterfly Bushes since the one I planted would die back to the ground every year. 2 years of that and it became Hugelkulture. I was at a web-site today that sells native plants and entered my zip code and lo and behold the closest nursery is only six blocks away. I'm still going to do my homework before I buy but it is encouraging knowing the local English Gardens sells American Beauty. Yes I know a few won't do well in clay but it's a start. Also the neighbor 2 doors down has planted a few good sized Viburnum and a shade garden. The house next to mine lets their backyard go wild so soon enough we will have a little migratory bird stop-over.
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:38 AM   #58
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucetree View Post
Butterfly Bushes 15 feet tall? I imagine Michigan Winters must be harder on Butterfly Bushes since the one I planted would die back to the ground every year. 2 years of that and it became Hugelkulture. I was at a web-site today that sells native plants and entered my zip code and lo and behold the closest nursery is only six blocks away. I'm still going to do my homework before I buy but it is encouraging knowing the local English Gardens sells American Beauty. Yes I know a few won't do well in clay but it's a start. Also the neighbor 2 doors down has planted a few good sized Viburnum and a shade garden. The house next to mine lets their backyard go wild so soon enough we will have a little migratory bird stop-over.
I envy you your neighbors. All of mine mow twice a week and have "fields" with nary a tree or shrub. One of the neighbors is a close friend of mine, but he says he enjoys getting on the rider mower; it relaxes him!! He did agree to plant a Swamp White Oak in a spot that stays wet too long for his liking. He was about to plant a Weeping Willow there when I told him I would even order the oak. He agree and paid. Now there is one tree in the 3 acre "field." The other neighbors are worse. They resent the leaves that come from my property, and trim branches from trees when they enter their air space. Soooo, count yourself blessed!!!

BTW, sometimes nurseries carry the American Beauty line but, when you arrive there, they have about three selections of them and everything else is as it has always been. Hope this place is better for you.

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:10 PM   #59
Heron

Sounds like your a good neighbor Jack, I see that sea of green syndrome when I visit my Sister. I think alot of them are people who had a small suburban lot and when they bought the bigger lot they just super-sized it. Some may have tried to transplant trees and had them browsed by Deer or girdled by rabbits. Some may fear wolves, bats, and snakes and want that buffer zone from the wildlife. My Personal philosophy is the more trees the better, As they grow the lawn shrinks and mowing less is less wear and tear on my equipment. If planted in rows there's not much more work really. When it comes to leaves well it's good fertilizer, The tree's pull all the chemicals that plants need in the right proportion of Magnesium, Calcium, Phosphorus and a dozen more you don't have in Miracle Grow. Mix up all the Oak, Maple, and Pine and you'll never need to test your soil PH again. My sister used to have Turkeys visit her back yard but since they built up the land behind her the Turkeys don't visit any more. Maybe some of your neighbors will see deer eating acorns and you won't have to order anymore trees for neighbors
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:57 PM   #60

Quote:
...I was at a web-site today that sells native plants and entered my zip code and lo and behold the closest nursery is only six blocks away.
Lucky you! I wish there were one closer to me! Most are about 2 hours away.

That's wonderful.

Quote:
Also the neighbor 2 doors down has planted a few good sized Viburnum and a shade garden. The house next to mine lets their backyard go wild so soon enough we will have a little migratory bird stop-over.
Great! That is something I wish we'd hear more of. Sounds like there will be a larger area than your place alone to create a wildlife magnet.

Tags
beauty, ecosystem, eyes, landscape, landscaping, lawn alternatives, less lawn, low maintenance, low-maintenance, low-maintenance landscape, native plants, natives, natural, natural landscape, nature, plants, replacing lawn, through nature's eyes, wild landscape, wildflower garden, wildflower meadow, wildlife garden