Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Invasive Species > Invasive & Potentially Invasive Flora

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2010, 09:56 AM   #11
WG Contest Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I'm losing ground. Too much rain even with my handy dandy new toy. Man oh man does that thing set me off balance. I'm going down left and right getting sucked right in. It's not like quick sand or anything but it's almost just as bad. I lost a whole boot out there. I felt around for it and still couldn't find it. I may have to try for this in winter when the ground is frozen if the rain doesn't let up.

maybe the phrag ate your boot.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:55 AM   #12
Official Plant Nerd

I think they're eating them. Problem is they're only eating the left boots. I'm left with two right boots which sucks. When you go out there it doesn't really matter whether your boots are matched or not since they get sucked off your feet sometimes and disappear to who knows where. I wouldn't have minded wearing one hot pink boot and one dark blue boot.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:33 AM   #13
WG Contest Coordinator

maybe if you walked backward they would take a right boot! Or better yet, they would not see you coming.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:57 AM   #14
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

What handy dandy new tool is that? Does it help get rid of pernicious invasive nasty weeds like microstegium and lemon balm (lemon balm is my personal nightmare)?

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:07 AM   #15
Official Plant Nerd

You don't want one.... using them sucks your boots right off your body. Just kidding... it's where I'm using it that's sucking my boots up. But.... they're awkward to wear and they'll blow your balance when you're not on level ground. I bought the 450 first and returned it since it was too much for me. Now I have the 350 and it's still a little too much for me, FS 450 K Trimmer - Professional Brushcutter/Clearing Saw | STIHL. Ergonomic design, anti vibration, and comfort shoulder harness my rearend. It's harder for me to use than a chainsaw and for what you've got you might as well use the glove of death. Seriously.... it's like have a huge bowling ball on your back and an elephant's trunk stuck to the front of you that you have to guide. Great piece of equipment for somebody younger and in better shape than you and me is my bet. You would get a work out since it vibrates if you want to lose weight. That thing'll vibrate the pounds right off of you. And about that microstegium.... how are you trying to get rid of it?
Old 08-12-2010, 08:45 AM   #16
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Yeah, that handy dandy tool looks like it would be too much for my neck and back. .I had neck surgery in January and my hands still get numb if I carry things that are heavy.

I have been using a combination of roundup and manual pull up on both the microstegium and the lemonbalm with mixed results. The bit that the spray actually touches seems to die, but when I go the next week to pull it out, there are little baby plants already arising out of the ashes. Unfortunately I waited too long this year on the lemon balm and it had set seed already, so the problem will be just as bad next year. I just got microstegium this year, after the construction of my driveway, probably came in on the construction equipment and liked the disturbed soil. It isn't awful yet, but I don't want it is spread. Somehow planting stuff and watching it grow is way more fun than pulling out invasives!

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dirty, favorite, halfdozen, invasive, invasive plants, invasive species, invasives, non native plants, non-native, non-native plants, nonnative, plant plants, species