Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/insects-arachnids-gastropods/)
-   -   Edible insects (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/insects-arachnids-gastropods/8831-edible-insects.html)

havalotta 08-04-2011 10:13 AM

Edible insects

Have you ever wondered about the toxicity of insects that you may have accidentally ingested while foraging?
The variety that crawls upon a Raspberry, the slugs and sowbugs inside the mushrooms you've just picked, The aphid that lay between the red bracts of the sumac you use to make lemon tea.

I haven't any knowledge on the topic but having watched so many of the survival shows eating grubs and such just to survive I thought it might be an interesting subject for us to play around with and explore.

havalotta 08-04-2011 10:18 AM

Edibility of slugs and snails....Are Slugs edible? What about Snails?
Quote:

When it comes to land snails, land slugs, and fresh water mollusks: (Salt water slugs tend to be toxic) You must cook them thoroughly or they can kill you.
Some of the land crawlers have parasites that causes your brain to swell.
Taste is a secondary consideration...
Quote:

Dr. Pearce.... However, the digestive gland (which occupies about the posterior third) of at least some of the species is foul tasting, so I advise removing it before consumption.

Gloria 08-04-2011 12:10 PM

You know hava, that never crossed my mind, until now. Do I really want to know? lol

havalotta 08-04-2011 01:00 PM

I've thought about it (just a bit) while traipsing about in the forest ESPECIALLY if I've forgotten to check the map or compass beforehand.
I don't mind following the shadow play upon the trees for a half day or so before popping out on a road but some of the areas are way to HUGE to hope for a road sighting.

I pack a bottle of water and the basic essentials http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/for...ting-game.html
I think if anyone would end up in such a predicament for any longer than a few days they'd more than likely start thinking outside the box and lift a few logs in search of something to eat (Like worms).... Likable or not.

Sage 08-04-2011 02:01 PM

Hmmmmmmmm, this reminds me of the Animal Planet show I watched this week, called Monsters Inside Me. It was about people who had worms in their brains, mostly from fish and other seafood, and how they almost died. Worms probably inhabit alot of things!

havalotta 08-04-2011 03:03 PM

Some of the warm water fish have various forms of grubs we locals tend not to mention to those eagerly feasting upon them.
They're not harmful to humans...But If they tend to have a large infestation they are thrown back as the flesh tends to lose its appeal some. :yuck

The yellow grubs larval stage is spent living in the fish flesh until it is eaten by a fish eating bird. The grubs mature in its throat.
When the bird feeds, their eggs wash into the water, hatch and swim to find a snail to go through several more stages before searching for a fish to burrow into. DNR - Yellow Grub

Sage 08-04-2011 08:27 PM

I've been told when buying fish, have the guy hold the slice or filet up to the light and you'll see the worms. Probably see grubs too! And to freeze the fish first, even if you got it fresh first. Agree?

havalotta 08-05-2011 07:53 AM

If you're going to eat it sushi style (RAW) then yes.... Definitely freeze it.
Otherwise it is not necessary... Cooking them thoroughly will kill them.
We eat way more insects than we'll ever know.

Sage 08-05-2011 09:17 AM

But just in case it didn't get thoroughly cooked........................

suunto 08-05-2011 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by havalotta (Post 96353)
If you're going to eat it sushi style (RAW) then yes.... Definitely freeze it.

We eat sushi every week and do not worry about freezing it - properly made sushi from salt-water fish carries no risk of human-infesting parasites; however, I would never eat raw fresh-water fish...