Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #121
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
Not a great photo, but shows they are still active despite it being November.
A few years ago, I was thrilled to see pollinators coming to my frost aster...but they usually only make it to late October.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #122
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Got this in Canada yesterday and enlarged a section in a screencap. Just playing with Mac and learning the OS.

Attachment 39640
Cool photo, Sage.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #123
Fox

I told you about scoring several old issues of The Conservationist, the magazine of the New York State Conservation department. They're all from just before I was born, from early '63 to mid '64. Each issue has some wonderful artwork including an illustrated center spread in each issue showing examples of a natural feature of New York. I thought you all might enjoy this one from the June - July 1963 issue.

wasps, the unpopular pollinators-conwasp-068.jpgwasps, the unpopular pollinators-conwasp-068a.jpgwasps, the unpopular pollinators-conwasp-068b.jpg
Old 12-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #124
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

That'a nice to have them all on a page or two like that instead of flipping through a book. It's a lot easier to compare them that way.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #125
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
That'a nice to have them all on a page or two like that instead of flipping through a book. It's a lot easier to compare them that way.
At some point I intend to look them all up and see if any thing has changed. Sometimes further study has caused taxonomists to change designations or such, and this is 50 years old. Considering that these are common species in New York, though, they're probably pretty well established.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #126
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Those are cool, Bulu!

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #127
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
Those are cool, Bulu!
Thank you. I thought so, too and wanted to share them. I wish I had a good scanner to capture them properly, but I'll have to settle for taking pictures of them for now.

Tags
aureonotata, eremnophila, eremnophila aureonotata, european paper wasp, golden digger wasp, insect, insects, katydid wasp, mason wasp, monobia, monobia quadridens, paper wasp, polestes carolina, polistes, polistes dominula, pollination, pollinator, pollinators, potters wasps, sphex ichneumoneus, sphex nudus, unpopular, wasp, wasps