Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 12:51 AM   #1
A Bee's Best Friend

Default All good spider mommies...

According to recent research, good spider mommies are
1. Mean
2. Large
3. Docile
4. Social

Answer here
ScienceShot: Mean Spiders Make Good Mommies - ScienceNOW

Science Today: Beyond the Headlines

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:15 AM   #2
The Bug Whisperer

Parental (maternal) care among spiders encompasses a wide spectrum, from simply guarding egg sacs until the young hatch (for example in some lynx spiders), guarding the young after hatching (nursery web spiders), actively carrying spiderlings about until they can fend for themselves (wolf spiders) to actively feeding the young spiders, culminating with the young spiders consuming the body of their mother (see http://www.oocities.com/gpfmc/spidersuicide.pdf).

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:55 AM   #3
WG Facilitator

Oh no - a test so early in the morning. And I didn't even study!
Old 01-03-2011, 02:26 PM   #4
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

suunto, that's very interesting and weird sounding about the parenticide, though the link would not open for me even after I "allowed" it - Secunia. Is there a website I could to to rather than the pdf doc?
btw, I got two boxes of the Dorset cereal here in Fort Myers!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:21 AM   #5
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
suunto, that's very interesting and weird sounding about the parenticide, though the link would not open for me even after I "allowed" it - Secunia. Is there a website I could to to rather than the pdf doc?
btw, I got two boxes of the Dorset cereal here in Fort Myers!
I just tried the link, and it worked for me. However, I also got a warning from our security software (Norton 360) that the site was unsafe. You can find more references with a Google search on the terms "spiders 'maternal care'" such as an interesting twist at Infanticide by males in a spider with suicidal mat... [Anim Behav. 1997] - PubMed result wherein male spiders attempt to destroy the egg sacs of females so that they then can mate with the females.

Nice that you can find the Dorset cereal there; but I guess that we will have to continue to rely on ordering online, as (1) my wife has a severe aversion to visiting Florida for any reason, and (2) I doubt that our local grocery stores ever will stock it...

Henry Ward Beecher
Old 01-04-2011, 09:33 AM   #6

Thanks, suunto, since my spider projects last summer, I've taken a greater interest in them.

Question: are there many bugs in FL during winter? 70 degree winter that is.

What doesn't wife like about FL?

We've been mostly shooting birds, available publicly HERE for those who want to see what we're seeing daily. Trying to religiously tag and ID but that portion may lag behind posting pix.

btw, just sat down in the family room and watched as a female Anhinga flew up from the water and landed in a tree outside our lanai to spread her wings and dry off. How cool is that?
Old 01-04-2011, 10:14 AM   #7
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Question: are there many bugs in FL during winter? 70 degree winter that is. What doesn't wife like about FL?
Given the climate there, you should be able to find insects year round, but during the cooler months, flying insects will be harder to find. You can find links to images of quite a few Florida insects at Florida Nature: Insecta - (true insects)
My wife's biggest problem with Florida is the weather/climate, followed by the overall ambiance (she basically just doesn't like the South, period)...

Henry Ward Beecher
Old 01-04-2011, 10:58 PM   #8

Thanks for the special link for FL bugs, suunto. I just looked at today's pix and found one with a couple bugs that I didn't know were there! Pic is quite cropped so bugs aren't very sharp.

All good spider mommies...-p1100539ed.jpg
Old 01-05-2011, 10:12 AM   #9
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Thanks for the special link for FL bugs, suunto. I just looked at today's pix and found one with a couple bugs that I didn't know were there! Pic is quite cropped so bugs aren't very sharp.
The one on the leaf at upper left could be a lady beetle pupa; I can't see any detail on the other...

Henry Ward Beecher

Tags
arachnid, arachnids, egg, egg sacs, good, guard, hatch, maternal, mommies, mother, mother spiders, paternal, sacs, spider, spider behavior, spider traits, spiderlings, spiders, traits, web, young, young spiders