Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2009, 11:52 PM   #11
Heron

A bit late, but hopefully not too late. Here are some Arachnids.

Show off your bug photos here-leiobunum-species-dsc_8548-01.jpgThis first one is a common Harvestman or Daddy Long Legs, a Leiobunum species, I think. Shot that in my back yard.

Show off your bug photos here-micrathena-gracilis-dsc_8113-01.jpgHere's a nice Micrathena gracilis spider. Around here at this time of year, these are everywhere in the woods. You have to wave a stick in front of you if you go walking in the woods or else you'll end up with your face in the middle of this spider's web. This was taken in an oak-hickory forest near my home.

Show off your bug photos here-dolomedes-tenebrosus-dsc_4229.jpgThis was a whopping big thing. The photo was taken along the Wisconsin River near Merrill, Wisconsin. It's a Dolomedes tenebrosus, I'm pretty sure, Dark Fishing Spider. They eat aquatic insects and even small fish.

John
jpdenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:59 AM   #12
Official Plant Nerd

There is a bug contest going on. You HAVE to find that thread and add some of your photos. I think the prize for that contest is an insect field guide. I can't remember which one. There's also a photo of the month contest. Your photos are greeeeeeeeeeat!
Old 08-06-2009, 05:20 AM   #13
Pope

What Equilibrium said! About your photos and the photo contest, I mean.

Quote:
Around here at this time of year, these are everywhere in the woods. You have to wave a stick in front of you if you go walking in the woods or else you'll end up with your face in the middle of this spider's web.
I do that too. I always feel like I am performing some sort of strange shamanic ritual in the woods by myself but it has saved me from walking into webs many times.
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:36 AM   #14
Heron

Thanks for the compliments on my photos. I'll be watching the photo contests and will certainly enter some of my shots, but as the photos have to be taken this year, these wouldn't have been eligible, as they're from past years. I have a LOT of photos that I've taken over the years. I went digital in 1999, so that's about 10 years worth of nature shots on my computer, plus I have slides from my film days going back to the mid-1970's. I can scan them if I want to use them too.

Since there's a limit to how many photos you can enter each month, I'll probably wait until near the end of the contest each month to enter my stuff in case I get a really good one at the last minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgerowe View Post
I do that too. I always feel like I am performing some sort of strange shamanic ritual in the woods by myself but it has saved me from walking into webs many times.
Yeah, me too. People passing by on the horse trails must think I'm nuts when they see me waving a stick around. Of course, they see me wandering the woods with a ton of photo equipment and they must think I'm nuts anyway.

Thanks again,
John
Old 08-06-2009, 11:14 AM   #15
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

You ARE good! The Harvestman is my favorite!
Do you use a tripod? They are so CLEAR!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:27 PM   #16
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
You ARE good! The Harvestman is my favorite!
Do you use a tripod? They are so CLEAR!
Thanks for the props!

I'm pretty shaky when it comes to holding a camera, so I try to use a tripod or monopod whenever I can, but it depends on what I'm shooting. Fast-moving, active bugs can be really hard to shoot using a tripod, but it can work for the more sedentary ones. For active stuff like butterflies and dragonflies, I usually use my monopod, usually works really well for them. For plants and mushrooms, I usually use a tripod. The Dark Fishing Spider shot was hand-held using on-camera flash. Flash can be of big help to get sharp shots, but I'm tending to get away from flash as I'm liking natural light more and more for most things. The other 2 shots were made with the camera on a tripod, and for the Harvestman shot, I put the camera on a macro focusing stage on a tripod. I used flash for all 3 shots, but the flash was off-camera way to the left for the Harvestman shot.

My nature photography hero John Shaw advocates using a tripod all the time, if possible, and his photographic results speak for themselves. BTW, I highly recommend his books to anyone interested in learning nature photography, he knows his stuff.

John
Old 08-06-2009, 02:34 PM   #17
WG Staff

Thank you for our very first wildlife photography book recommendation.

You are new and most likely have not found all our site has to offer however, would you take a moment to share the nature photgraphy books of John Shaw here:
Book Reviews - Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Another forum that might be of interest to you would be:
Wildlife Photo Tips - Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening
Old 08-06-2009, 02:53 PM   #18
Unicellular Fungi

Unicorn mantis
Attached Thumbnails
Show off your bug photos here-mantis2.jpg  
DesertSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:16 PM   #19
Fox

Some of the recent bugs I've gotten.
Attached Thumbnails
Show off your bug photos here-7-14-09-107-_edited.jpg   Show off your bug photos here-aug52009-3-.jpg   Show off your bug photos here-aug52009-12-.jpg   Show off your bug photos here-august52009-18-.jpg   Show off your bug photos here-july222009-236-_edited.jpg  

MaggyNoLia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:07 PM   #20
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Ohhhhhhhhhhh You got yourself a garden spider. They are so cool looking. A rare find here.
Boy after looking at Shaws photos I'm ready to quit! (Just kidding of course)
What I would give to be that good............
Is that a giant puff mushroom in your hand?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arachnids, bee, bees, beetle, beetles, bug, bug larvae, bug photos, bugs, caterpillar, flies, fly, insect, insect photos, insects, larvae, mosquitoes, photos, photos of bugs, pictures of bugs, pictures of insects, show, spider, spiders, worm