Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 07:42 PM   #1
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Default caterpillars, larvae, and pupa 2013

I thought it was time to start a new caterpillar thread, but we are not prejudiced - feel free to also post your beetle, fly, wasp or other larvae photos here too!

Banded hairstreak...see the chrysalis on the Whatizzit thread!
caterpillars, larvae, and pupa 2013-banded-hairstreak-caterpillar-satyrium-calanus.jpg

My first black swallowtail cats of the year on Zizia aurea
caterpillars, larvae, and pupa 2013-black-swallowtail-cat-zizia-second-instar.jpg

The caterpillar that was being grasped by the potter wasp I posted on the wasp thread. The wasp got spooked and dropped it. Anyone know what kind it is? I don't recognize it.
caterpillars, larvae, and pupa 2013-caterpillar-released-potter-wasp-dorsal.jpg

Hummingbird moth, H. thysbe, third instar. I am raising this guy, I watched his egg being laid on my evil fragrant honeysuckle, which is now covered in hummingbird moth cats. It may be invasive but at least it is a host plant!
caterpillars, larvae, and pupa 2013-hummingbird-moth-caterpillar-3rd-instar-2.jpg

And a fall cankerworm. These are everywhere this year, dropping on threads from trees. ID'd from the pro-legs - it has two and a half, as it were, on specific segments, diagnostic per Wagner.
caterpillars, larvae, and pupa 2013-fall-cankerworm-alsophila-pometaria.jpg

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:00 PM   #2

And some pupae..

My spicebush swallowtail chrysalis, today you can see the butterfly within...
caterpillars, larvae, and pupa 2013-spicebush-swallowtail-chrysalis-near-eclosing.jpg

Banded hairstreak coccoon, for those who haven't seen the Whatizzit thread...
caterpillars, larvae, and pupa 2013-banded-hairstreak-coccoon-2.jpg

I found this one in the dirt today when I was pulling weeds. We will see what emerges from it. I am betting on a hawk/sphinx moth of some kind.
caterpillars, larvae, and pupa 2013-pupa-found-dirt-1.jpg

and I found this on a withered passiflora vine, I believe it is probably a polyphemus coccoon, already eclosed.
caterpillars, larvae, and pupa 2013-cocoon-prob-polyphemus-3-web.jpg caterpillars, larvae, and pupa 2013-cocoon-prob-polyphemus-2-web.jpg

Old 05-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
Heron

Turttle, this thread is perfect! because I don't know what this is, and I hope someone can tell me. Caterpillar ID is not my forte.
Attached Thumbnails
caterpillars, larvae, and pupa 2013-img_1887-800x598-.jpg  
Old 05-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #4

I think he is probably one of the tiger moth caterpillars. Looking through Wagner (Caterpillars of Eastern North America), it looks like a bunch of them in that family.

My spicebush swallowtail chrysalis eclosed today!
Attached Thumbnails
caterpillars, larvae, and pupa 2013-spicebush-swallowtail-newly-eclosed-web.jpg  

Old 05-07-2013, 06:33 PM   #5

I have two species of hummingbird moths on my property, Hemaris diffinis - Snowberry Clearwing, which is what the caterpillar I posted a few days ago actually was. It uses honeysuckles (Lonicera) as a favorite host plant, as well as dogbane, and bush honeysuckle (Diervilla).

Here is the egg and first instar, very tiny, translucent. I have put a bunch into containers to save them from the horde of mantids, spiders and other predators in my yard at present.
caterpillars, larvae, and pupa 2013-hum-moth-egg-newly-laid.jpg
caterpillars, larvae, and pupa 2013-hummingbird-moth-cat-first-instar-2a.jpg caterpillars, larvae, and pupa 2013-hummingbird-moth-cat-first-instar-1b.jpg

I also have the Hummingbird clearwing, Hemaris thysbe, which uses viburnum as a host. Today one was laying eggs all over my viburnum and I have some of them salted away as well!

Old 05-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
And some pupae..

My spicebush swallowtail chrysalis, today you can see the butterfly within...
Attachment 36397

Banded hairstreak coccoon, for those who haven't seen the Whatizzit thread...
Attachment 36395

I found this one in the dirt today when I was pulling weeds. We will see what emerges from it. I am betting on a hawk/sphinx moth of some kind.
Attachment 36396

and I found this on a withered passiflora vine, I believe it is probably a polyphemus coccoon, already eclosed.
Attachment 36398 Attachment 36399
Wow! So much activity already! I love the polyphemus moths! I raised several last year.

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:51 PM   #7

My yard is awash in caterpillars and other larva!

This fellow had stuck three bee-balm leaves together and was hiding in the center. He is clearly not the only species Wagner lists under "bee-balm", so I welcome suggestions. Skippers and duskywings seem to make shelters so I am voting for one of them, but it easily could be a moth.
caterpillars, larvae, and pupa 2013-caterpillar-rolled-beebalm-shelter-id.jpg

The world's tinist, black inch worm. Found on my jeans after I had been walking through all sorts of forbs and under trees, so no clue as to host plant, but very cute.
caterpillars, larvae, and pupa 2013-looper-tiny-id-black-white-underside-found-jeans.jpg

Strange and spikey, from about three weeks ago. Variable tussock moth caterpillar.
caterpillars, larvae, and pupa 2013-variable-tussock-moth-caterpillar-2.jpg

Lastly, other larva from the garden. Newly hatched ladybug larva from eggs found on viburnum, and my mantis larvae are growing.
Attached Thumbnails
caterpillars, larvae, and pupa 2013-ladybug-larva-newly-hatched-leaf.jpg   caterpillars, larvae, and pupa 2013-mantid-nymph-second-third-instar.jpg  

Old 06-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #8
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

We went to Allegheny State Park yesterday, in southern NYS. Little cats were all over one of the areas we stopped to walk, even on the railings over a dam.

I think there were elderberry bushes along the steps down to the creek.

caterpillars, larvae, and pupa 2013-p1490597asp.jpg

caterpillars, larvae, and pupa 2013-p1490599asp.jpg

caterpillars, larvae, and pupa 2013-p1490601asp.jpg

caterpillars, larvae, and pupa 2013-p1490699asp.jpg
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #9
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Pretty weird looking with those little bulges. Was that at their head or other end?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #10
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Head end I think! Maybe ears???
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, caterpillar eggs, caterpillars, cats, chrysalis, coccoon, eclose, eclosed, egg, host, host plant, instar, larvae, pupa, pupae, pupate, worm