Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Help Identifying Plants

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2014, 02:57 PM   #1
Salamander

Default Gaura Leaves

Recently, I gave a friend some Large-flowered Gaura (Gaura longiflora) seeds. I am trying to encourage her to plant some natives to help with her garden. She would like to know what the leaves look like, so when they come up this spring, she doesn't pull them as weeds. I 've been digging through my photos, but I never focused really on the leaves of my Gaura when taking the pictures. So I am wanting to make sure I have the leaves matched with the flower. They are the ones with the red arrow pointing to.

These came up in our little prairie-to-be patch, so I do not know if they were part of the seed mix or if they are strays from across the road. I ruled out the Biennial, since that area was completely reworked when the garage was built last fall. For some reason, I also ruled out Scarlet Gaura, but cannot remember why now.

If these leaves are close enough to the Large-flowered, I'll send her the photo any way and explain any difference.

Oh, does any one have any idea what the leaves are on the lower right? I saw a bit of that in the area, but ruled out Curly Dock.

Thank you so much.
Attached Thumbnails
Gaura Leaves-gauraleaves.jpg  
Old 11-06-2014, 04:37 PM   #2
A Bee's Best Friend

Scroll down to 7 through 11 pictures of leaves.

Longflower Beeblossom (Gaura longiflora) - Guide to Kansas Plants

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 01:31 AM   #3
Heron

Quote:
Oh, does any one have any idea what the leaves are on the lower right? I saw a bit of that in the area, but ruled out Curly Dock.
Might be the basal rosette of Evening Primrose.
rockerBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:40 AM   #4
Salamander

Thank you for the replies. Mine is definitely not Gaura longiflora based on the leaves. I went back to Prairie Moon to look at the list of seeds in the mix we bought and saw the Biennial variety. It seemed odd that mine bloomed and bloomed profusely.

I found this on Wikipedia:
Quote:
Under extreme climatic conditions, a biennial plant may complete its life cycle in a very short period of time (e.g. three or four months instead of two years). This is quite common in vegetable or flower seedlings that were exposed to cold conditions, or vernalized, before they were planted in the ground. This behavior leads to many normally biennial plants being treated as annuals in some areas.
My husband spread the seed last fall. Will they come up again like this? I don't know, I hope so, but I think I read some place that the Biennial and the Long-flowered Gauras hybridize easily.

Evening Primrose would be nice addition, especially if I get a lot. I take the oil as a supplement. Maybe the different parts of the plant would be just as good.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:27 PM   #5
Hippie Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birding Bunch View Post
Thank you for the replies. Mine is definitely not Gaura longiflora based on the leaves. I went back to Prairie Moon to look at the list of seeds in the mix we bought and saw the Biennial variety. It seemed odd that mine bloomed and bloomed profusely.

I found this on Wikipedia:

My husband spread the seed last fall. Will they come up again like this? I don't know, I hope so, but I think I read some place that the Biennial and the Long-flowered Gauras hybridize easily.

Evening Primrose would be nice addition, especially if I get a lot. I take the oil as a supplement. Maybe the different parts of the plant would be just as good.
I had a beautiful biennial one last year - also arrived in a mix from Prairie Moon. I hardly noticed it the previous year. I recall a rosette of leaves in that spot, which I left because it looked "interesting" and I wasn't sure what it was. Last year (the second growing season) it took off like gangbusters! Must have been 8 ft. tall and loaded with flowers for months on end. The bees loved it. This year, just a small shoot or two with a few flowers each. I read that it may reseed, but I don't see any of the rosettes this year.

Tags
flower identification, gaura, leaves