Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Habitat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2010, 09:15 PM   #51
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgerowe View Post
Too bad about the camera--that would have been a sight to see! I am thinking that I might like to eventually do something like this with rocks, as we have lizards around here. Do you think that chain link or similar material would be a help or hinderance to lizards (they're usually no longer than 8", tail included)?
I do not believe that wire screening of any type would effect a rock pile for lizards/reptiles one way much or the other from what I've read . Except if the screening was small such as hardware cloth which could entrap them , not the desired effect . I am contemplating lizard/reptile habitat but lets start another thread on that shall we . Better to seperate so as to keep on topic . Brush piles are one thing , rock piles another I think that we will find through some discussion .
lonediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:19 PM   #52
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by biigblueyes View Post
As usual, you have a well-done, enormous project going there.

What are you pondering for your next adventure?

I have not been trying to ignore your question biigblueyes but I thought that I would illustrate a reply with some pics and I just got back from taking some .

#1 A new project that just came to mind recently will take priority due to percieved need will a/the fox den/habitat . Being as I trapped and released one recently on the property I wish to encourage it to stay here . Still working out some of the design in my head but will undertake it shortly .

#2 . A project stated in December for the wifes Christmas present is an enclosed vegetable garden area .

Pic 1. Totally enclosed with chicken wire , measures 11' x 13' exterior .
pic 2. It will have block raised beds about 24-25" high , just laying out the design of the beds now . Will be plumbed with drip irrigation .
pic 3 . An example of wire/screen selection , whereas the overall structure is covered with chicken wire , the bottom 3 feet has hardware cloth . The chicken wire will exclude birds but allow bees to pass through . The bottom hardware cloth will exclude most anything else . The wife likes what I am doing ( for the most part) building habitats but she enjoys veiwing them at a distance . Not up close and personal . Part of the design includes for the entire structure to be enclosed with plastic in the cold months as to be a greenhouse , Parially enclosed with shade cloth in the extreme heat of the summers so as to extend her possible growing seasons .
pic4 . An example of wire selection , in the center of the pic you might see the remnants of a snake carcass entrapped in the chicken wire . I discovered it too late to rescue it .
Pic5 . hedgerowe you might see the rabbit wire I mentioned behind the chicken wire .
Attached Thumbnails
More on brush piles .-p1280111.jpg   More on brush piles .-p1280115.jpg   More on brush piles .-p1280112.jpg   More on brush piles .-p1280116.jpg   More on brush piles .-p1280117.jpg  

Old 01-28-2010, 03:09 PM   #53
Heron

project #3 .pic 1 The wife bought me a "gazebo" kit as a fathers day present (I caught her recently describing it as hers , when confronting her as to her claim she commented that my present was the fun of assembling it , "wascally women") . I determined that the kit was a sad excuse that would be knocked over in the winds here so it required some reengineering/reinforcement .

Pic 2 . We sprouted a " volcano" to be converted into a birdbath,fountain.

pic 3 . The plumbing going in , one pipe to supply an automatic fill float valve , another to act as a cleanout drain . I enjoy hiding/camoflaging obvious hardware. Notice the artifical rock valve covers in pics 3 & 4 .

Pic 5 . The inside of the "caldera" , hollowed out so as to provide the room for a solar powered pump/fountain and trying to work out possible ideas for a biological filter . Most of the depth of the water will be filled with a small river rock/gravel so as make the upper water depth apropriate for the birds to bathe in .
Attached Thumbnails
More on brush piles .-p1280118.jpg   More on brush piles .-p1280107.jpg   More on brush piles .-p1280108.jpg   More on brush piles .-p1280109.jpg   More on brush piles .-p1280110.jpg  

Old 01-28-2010, 03:24 PM   #54
Heron

Still doing work on lonediver mountain (#1), in the next few years will undertake lining the courseway of lonediver creek (#2 &3) . (#4) one of the two needed bridge abutements for a covered footbridge to go over halfway down the length of the creek , some 225 feet , plus lonediver lake/pond (#5) (notice another of the artificial rocks to cover the to be fill valve) at the bottom of the creek . Some recent welcome winter rain parially filled the lake/pond though it has to be lined still yet .
Attached Thumbnails
More on brush piles .-p1280120.jpg   More on brush piles .-p1280121.jpg   More on brush piles .-p1280123.jpg   More on brush piles .-p1280122.jpg   More on brush piles .-p1280124.jpg  

Old 01-28-2010, 03:46 PM   #55
Heron

Desire to aquire yet another LARGE snag tree (refer to the thread at Dead wood plantings . )

I currently have permission to "prune" large portions of the below tree (1). This would remove virtually half the tree , what they want removed .

#2 . The large branch extending diagonally to the left

#3 all the deadwood

#4 A branch that cracked and is now draping down to the ground .

#5 Another view of the cracked branch .

Object of this exercise would be to remove the branches as close as possible to thier base where they join the main trunk . Then haul these portions entact (not for firewood) then digging holes and reerecting them as a snag tree . Some of these branches exceed 20 feet in length , it is an ironwood , some of the densest hardwood known . It sinks in water .

Note my friend Antonio standing at the base in pic 1 .
Attached Thumbnails
More on brush piles .-p1280094.jpg   More on brush piles .-p1280095.jpg   More on brush piles .-p1280096.jpg   More on brush piles .-p1280097.jpg   More on brush piles .-p1280098.jpg  

Old 01-28-2010, 03:55 PM   #56
Heron

A second tree that I am looking at , still need to get permission to remove it . Large portions of it have died and it virtually is in the center of the lot that it stands in . Likely an impediment to any contemplated development of the lot . It does have some chainsaw damage but it is/was a magnificent tree , also an ironwood . Look at the burls on this thing .

Are'nt they puuurty ? Won't they make great snag trees .
Attached Thumbnails
More on brush piles .-p1280100.jpg   More on brush piles .-p1280101.jpg   More on brush piles .-p1280102.jpg   More on brush piles .-p1280103.jpg   More on brush piles .-p1280104.jpg  

Old 01-28-2010, 04:17 PM   #57
Heron

More shots of the second tree .

Any volunteers wish to come out and assist in moving this one/these ? Again the object is to remove/transplant these trees entact . The first one needs to be moved about 1/2 mile , the second slighly more .

Then there is the dream project of "THE BAT CAVE" which the wife implies she will not let me do , only over her dead body (HMmmmm)

An example of a bat cave here at show 2 which is the second one down on the left column .

Arizona Wildlife Views 2008 Season

Then of course there is to be lizard/snake habitat .

That is all that occurs to me at the moment bigblueeyes , what do you do with your spare time ?
Attached Thumbnails
More on brush piles .-p1280105.jpg   More on brush piles .-p1280106.jpg  
Old 01-28-2010, 08:12 PM   #58
WG Operations, Facilitator

Lonediver,
Having lived in Mexico for 4 years, I am fascinated with your desert wildlife projects and plans.

Looking over all your photos, gives me ideas for habitat plans even in the northwoods of WI.

Thanks for the inspiration you give me and others.

Please keep us posted on your many ongoing projects. They are fascinating!

BooBooBearBecky
Old 01-29-2010, 08:50 AM   #59
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonediver View Post
#2 . A project stated in December for the wifes Christmas present is an enclosed vegetable garden area .
I can see the need for that - to protect the garden from all the wildlife you're attracting. . . .
Old 02-06-2010, 11:22 AM   #60
Unicellular Fungi

What has become of your sprouted volcano?

Tags
bird, birds, brush, brush pile photos, brush piles, brushpile, build a brush pile, building a brush pile, chain link, chain link fabric, chain link in a brush pile, desert, desert habitat, ground birds, habitat, habitat for birds, habitat for ground birds, how to, owl, owls, pallets, photos, pictures, piles, stack of pallets