Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Habitat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2014, 08:05 PM   #1
Heron

Default Dr. Doug Tallamy In His Garden on the Importance of Native Plants

Nice interview with Dr. Doug Tallamy talking about the need for native plants. Writer of Bringing Nature Home.

rockerBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:00 PM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

rockerBoo,

Thank you so much for sharing this video.

...and thank you, Dorothy, for mentioning it to me.

Maybe it is not a verbatim quote, but I liked how he said it is ideal to have a mosaic of old forest, young forest, meadow, and wetland. It seems that my plan here (on a much smaller scale...but still 2 acres is nothing to sneeze at) is right on target.

(although, my "forest"--pocket woodland...is hardly old forest, but at least there are some fairly mature trees.)
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:58 PM   #3

I just finished watching (with a few short intermissions). Great information and very accessible to anyone who has an interest and an open mind. I know he is preaching to the choir here...but I'm trying to imagine what the general public would think.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 06-21-2014, 12:42 PM   #4
Carbon

10 acres of restored land is incredible - a little habitat island - 2 acres will make a difference too - i'm only dealing with 1/3 of an acre - but that monarch still found my 3 milkweed plants and I've only lived here for 60 days. I am hopeful
Dorothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 03:05 PM   #5
WG Fundraising Coordinator

I really liked this video. Even though I've read his book I connected with his message so much more after hearing him in this interview. He is accessible and credible and personable even to the point of being humble, all the things you need to be a good speaker.

I really connected to what he was saying about being a typical suburbanite uninterested in the larger picture until he moved to his 10 acres and started looking around him. Hey, an entomologist is not necessarily an environmentalist until that "AHA!!!" moment he speaks of. Just powers of observation on where the insects are, oaks and other native species and not on the non-natives made him aware of something really important.

One of the things I took away from this was that being a native purist is not necessary. Perhaps relaxing a bit and moving in the right direction is a better course. So let's get rid of the invasives like oriental bittersweet, multiflora rose, japanese honeysuckle and the like and plant our oaks (he's a big oak fan!) and other native trees, shrubs and forbs. I love it when he says his wife is the chief invasive plant killer in the family, I can just see her going out with shovels and axes!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 03:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothy View Post
10 acres of restored land is incredible - a little habitat island - 2 acres will make a difference too - i'm only dealing with 1/3 of an acre - but that monarch still found my 3 milkweed plants and I've only lived here for 60 days. I am hopeful
I love to hear stories like yours...I was thrilled to get Monarch caterpillars the year I put in my first milkweeds. I had them every year since...until last year...here's hoping this year they return and their numbers increase--I've got more plants for them to feed on! It really is a great feeling, isn't it?

60 days...just imagine what the coming years will bring as you create your own private haven! Every bit helps...and, like you said in another thread "imagine if we all lived on the same block"...we'd have our own habitat island--or better yet, a habitat beltway.

Tags
doug, garden, importance, native, plants, tallamy