Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Habitat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #1
WG Staff

Default PA- Brandywine Conservancy restores native flora to campus

Brandywine Conservancy restores native flora to campus
By Wm. SHAWN WEIGEL
Posted: Saturday, 08/03/13 04:09 pm
Updated: Saturday, 08/03/13 05:38 pm

Brandywine Conservancy restores native flora to campus - Daily Local News
excerpt from above:
Quote:
CHADDS FORD — For three days last week, dozens of employees from the Brandywine Conservancy and Museum planted native grasses and flowers throughout the Chadds Ford campus — and not just to make the place look spiffy.

“The idea to plant native plants on one of the Brandywine Conservancy lawns was suggested by staff member Matt Smith,” said public relations director Lora Englehart.

After weeks of preparation, three plots were selected to be planted with native grasses and wildflowers that are more tolerant of drought or, in some cases, more tolerant of flooding...
Old 08-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #2
Alternate POM Judge

That's great. Not too far from me
EllenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

It's awesome!!! How cool is that!!! OMG.... catch the comment to the article by a Steve Macklemoore!!! I bet he's got European starling "issues".
--
Say EW> if you're that close to that area.... Dappy's house can't be that far from you. Any chance you could come and "play" with us this coming October>>>>? I promise.... none of us bite. It'd be a blast!!! I swear anytime any of us get together we end up laughing so hard at times that we should all be buying stock in Depends!!!
Old 08-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
Alternate POM Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
It's awesome!!! How cool is that!!! OMG.... catch the comment to the article by a Steve Macklemoore!!! I bet he's got European starling "issues".
--
Say EW> if you're that close to that area.... Dappy's house can't be that far from you. Any chance you could come and "play" with us this coming October>>>>? I promise.... none of us bite. It'd be a blast!!! I swear anytime any of us get together we end up laughing so hard at times that we should all be buying stock in Depends!!!
I would love to join in. I have a very old car and don't trust it to drive very far. I think northern PA is still pretty far from me. Dap mentioned maybe I could catch a ride with someone who may be going near me on the way. I am in northeastern Maryland. So if anyone is going near me on their way or if you know of anyone Equil please let me know. Thanks! Yes I'm right there with you when it comes to depends! Ha ha!
EllenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Just last week, we were in Gettysburg for a meeting, and I stopped at Brandywine (we only had about 10 minutes to spare) just to stop for some native seed packets. Had I known about the campus--and had the time, I'd have checked it out.

If I recall, it was a 3 1/2 hour drive from here to Gettysburg.

I'm glad to hear (from another thread) that Ellenwright is planning on coming in October.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brandywine, campus, conservancy, flora, native, restores