Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Habitat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
Salamander

Default Rabbit Patch?

Anyone know what this is?

I overheard some people talking about Protecting A Rabbit Patch and I immediately imagined a large fenced briar-patch with hopeful foxes patrolling around the outside of it. Sounded like a good idea since lately we see lots of foxes/coyotes and no rabbits.

But when I searched for 'rabbit patch' I only found retail sites and some computer/technology-type references, so now I'm wondering if I completely misunderstood (and wishing I had said, "I'm sorry, but I couldn't help hearing what you were talking about. . ." and gotten more info.).

I feel like Gilda Radner being outraged about sax & violins in schools!
Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
Heron

I've never heard of a protected rabbit patch but it caught my interest because 5 minutes prior to seeing this thread I found a large swath of rabbit fur in my yard. Your vision sounds like a good idea I'm thinking the trick would be to make the fence around the protected area high enough to prevent foxes, coyotes,and cats from jumping over but with a mesh size large enough a rabbit could escape through with ease. I'm thinking 4"x4" mesh but I'm not sure that's small enough to excluded house cats. Another thing to consider is a brush pile inside the protected area and thick enough brambles, saplings, bushes, etc to afford the rabbits some protection from avian predators. A good rule of thumb I was taught by a wildlife biologist to evaluate quail cover was to throw a football into the brush if it goes through to the ground with ease it's not thick enough to stop a hawk. I hope this helps you out Teresa it certainly peaked my interest
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I'm not sure what it is either, but I like your idea better. Come to think of it, I've not seen a rabbit in a long while. Honestly, I'd love to see a fox--I've yet to see one, except as roadkill twice in my life.

I mentioned on another thread that I cut apple and sumac branches in the winter for rabbits to eat when there is nothing but snow...and some members seemed to think I was crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
...now I'm wondering if I completely misunderstood...

I feel like Gilda Radner being outraged about sax & violins in schools!
Thanks for the laugh. I was kind of young and rarely stayed up long enough for SNL, but I do remember Rosanne Roseannadanna !

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
A good rule of thumb I was taught by a wildlife biologist to evaluate quail cover was to throw a football into the brush if it goes through to the ground with ease it's not thick enough to stop a hawk. I hope this helps you out Teresa it certainly peaked my interest
I'm all for the brushpile and brambles...but, I hate to think of reaching in to get the football...I imagine just leaving it where it lands!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:25 PM   #4

Oh well, oops...not Roseanne Rosannadanna...it was Emily Litella...
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto

Last edited by WG Admin; 11-14-2012 at 06:41 PM. Reason: repaired
Old 11-14-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I'm not sure what it is either, but I like your idea better. Come to think of it, I've not seen a rabbit in a long while. Honestly, I'd love to see a fox--I've yet to see one, except as roadkill twice in my life.
Foxes are very elusive Dap I spend a lot of time in the woods full camo and have only seen a handful in my life. I'd bet you have some foxes visiting your property at night maybe you could ask Santa for a trailcamera this year if you think you've been a good boy that is.

As far as not seeing rabbits in awhile I read an article about the rabbit population being on the downhill side of their 10 year cycle which would explain the lack of sightings. I'm going to have to try to find that article,
Old 11-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Foxes are very elusive Dap I spend a lot of time in the woods full camo and have only seen a handful in my life. I'd bet you have some foxes visiting your property at night maybe you could ask Santa for a trailcamera this year if you think you've been a good boy that is.
Thanks, recurve...not only for the info, but also for assuming I'm a good enough boy to get a trailcam!

Not a bad idea.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:08 PM   #7
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Thanks, recurve...not only for the info, but also for assuming I'm a good enough boy to get a trailcam!

Not a bad idea.
I've been asking Santa for a trailcam for about 5 years now still no luck.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #8

Quote:
I've been asking Santa for a trailcam for about 5 years now still no luck.
Hmmm...makes me wonder what chance I have then!
Old 11-17-2012, 10:26 PM   #9
Heron

3 Sites that help with building rabbit patches

Pheasants Forever

Turkeys Unlimited

Quail Forever

These sites explain what kind of cover is needed so the young can move and have a healthy diet of insects. Of course if rabbits are your target species you may want to substitute clover for corn in the food plot.

Lot's of Shrubs or brush piles are needed for cover; Especially in the North where the snow piles up. The arching branches form protective tunnels which helps herbivores from predators when food is scarce.

Don't forget conifers; Even our largest herbivores use these for a hiding spot.

In the South thorny cover is needed; Osage Orange [Bois de Arc] hedgerows just about guarantee a healthy rabbit population.
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:21 PM   #10
WG Facilitator

I apparently used different words than you when I searched. Everything I got was how to protect your garden patch from rabbits. . . .

Tags
patch, rabbit