Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Green Products and Service Providers > Green Blogs and Websites

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
WG Facebook Administrator

Default Tax-Exempt Lies: The Trap-Neuter-Return Industry

I've just published a blog post on this topic at Pileus, a blog that more usually deals with political, economic, and philosophical questions:
Tax-Exempt Lies: The Trap-Neuter-Return Industry Pileus
I try to slip in some environmentalism now and then. We'll see what the readers think about it.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
Heron

Wow....I bet there'll be some heated responses to that post! I think your argument is an excellent one, however. And the photo is equally disturbing. I hope you are able to persuade some of your readers!
BeeWonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #3

Or at least get them to think! I was also frustrated to find that when I put "trap neuter return" into Google, all the top hits were from advocates of the practice. They are really well funded, and most people will never hear from the other side if we don't take a stand.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #4
Salamander

I will say right up front that I am a cat lover, but believe firmly these predators should be kept indoors, and am adamantly against the practice of neuter and release.
Whenever cats and wildlife are involved, I will take the side of wildlife everytime.
scarecrowsdrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #5

Yeah, I'm a cat lover too; we have an indoor cat. Before we knew better, we let her outside occasionally. Now she's indoor only. It was a difficult transition period (she wasn't happy), but worth it. There's no reason why taking care of cats should come at the expense of native wildlife.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #6
Fox

2cents two cents worth

I think I'm persuaded! I think the point that neutered or non-neutered domestic animals left feral is wrong.

I don't have to imagine the problem, I merely have to look up my driveway. There at the top of the hill are 4 houses, all have dogs & cats, 3 of the houses let the animals roam freely 24/7days a week.

1 of the 4 keeps his dogs fenced in the yard.

Another of the 4 houses is a rent duplex, which allows pets. My guess on renters there that leave their animals is at least 75%. The landlord could care less, and routinely sets off bug poisons that run the flea infested varmits looking for another place to hang out.

Another of the 4 houses, is one of those 'do gooderz' that the local humane society uses as a storage 'home'. Our rural area doesn't have a animal shelter building, so they round up the strays and my neighbor takes care of them, as do other concerned citizens around the county. Which seems so nice, except that 10+ cats that get daily feed from my neighbor, the caretaker, allows all of them out to do what cats do naturally, hunt & breed.(these little guys usually don't get neutered till after adoption)

The fourth neighbor has 4 dogs, one of which is beagle. I watched the beagle & a shepherd chasing down a fawn just this year. This is what feral dogs do, hunt & breed.

There is also a fifth neighbor, he intentionally rounds up all the strays dogs around, and happily dumps them before deer season. He enjoys the nature of the starved dogs to push the deer off their happy homes to disorient them.

Just for the record, I don't blame any of the animals for what they do. I blame the humans for not doing their job properly.

wildwatcher
wildwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:56 PM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

wildwatcher> "Another of the 4 houses, is one of those 'do gooderz' that the local humane society uses as a storage 'home'. Our rural area doesn't have a animal shelter building, so they round up the strays and my neighbor takes care of them, as do other concerned citizens around the county. Which seems so nice, except that 10+ cats that get daily feed from my neighbor, the caretaker, allows all of them out to do what cats do naturally, hunt & breed.(these little guys usually don't get neutered till after adoption)" For what it's worth.... I blame humans too. Your neighbor is NOT a "do gooderz".... to be honest with you.... I feel really bad for you since she's part of the problem not the solution and it's unconscionable that she's not even responsible enough to spay and neuter em. She's reduced herself to the class of headcase. She's no better than some of the hoarders I see on tv. This isn' nice at all.... it's cruel to the animals she's taking "under her wing" and it's cruel to any wildlife living within range of her pathetic excuse of a foster home. I don't even want to think of how many of her "wards" are carrying toxo since she's letting her "wards" use the countryside as their litterbox. Have you ever considered trapping? Maybe trapping is something you might want to think about to give the natives a fighting chance, Are Cats Bad for the Environment?
Old 08-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #8
Fox

FruitOrange

hi equilibrium,

ya I have some funny neighbors...I guess everyone does. Ya I could trap em but what am I supposed to do with all those humans once I've collected them? <<<joke people, just a joke!

tyty for the good suggestion, I'm don't think there is a market for dried cat hides, and truth be told, to skin a cat is one really stinky funky job. I wouldn't have much fun doing that, and I'm sure my wife would be like: "NO, NO, & NO way buddy". But if I killed a feral hog, she would have to help clean it! Life is funny: some things I win, some things wife wins, & some things I just don't tell her about!!

I guess for me, the thing is, all I can do is get on the internet & voice my opinion, (to vent) & give a few examples and try not to get over angered by what people do. I also remember that everyone has a learning curve, some can learn by simply reading a passage, some learn by seeing an example, and some learn by doing.

The funny thing is, I'll probably do nothing much, why do I have to be the one to change other peoples ways, even if it effects me & mine? Trapping the cats would only anguish my neighbor, and doubtful if they would get a clue...you know the mentality: 'hey~~~ cats disappeared, ummmm we oughta get another bunch to rescue'.

Life is good with or without feral cats, but if ya see me in my new multi-colored fur boots this winter, only laugh alittle...that they don't match.

wildwatcher
Old 08-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #9
Fox

SymbolPurple

I guess its kina like this for me: Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it, & those who do study history are doomed to standby & watch everyone else repeat it.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:15 PM   #10
Official Plant Nerd

Ha ha ha.... "I'm don't think there is a market for dried cat hides, and truth be told, to skin a cat is one really stinky funky job." No.... no market for dried cat hides in the US unless..... you're selling em to China where they use em for ear muffs and the trim on parkas that they sell over here but.... good news.... you've got vultures down by you and those handsome critters looooooooove dead cat!!! That means you'd be home free with your wife because there'd be no skinning involved if you put them out for your vulture friends!!!! See.... I solved your wifie AND un-neighborly neighbor problems for ya in 1 fell swoop!!!
--
All joking aside.... if you put em out.... something will find em and make short work of em but..... if you've got extra freezer space.... there's probably a raptor rehab center around somewhere that would take em and sometimes small family run zoos will take em and all the fresh roadkill you can bring in too. Just don't use lead BBs.

Tags
industry, lies, taxexempt, trapneuterreturn