Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > Glumiflorae

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #1
Lungwort

Default Unknown Carex

This grass showed up in my garden 2 years ago and I liked it enough to keep it. I believe it is some kind of Carex but can't figure out its full identity. Anyone have an idea? Much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Unknown Carex-img_1936.jpg   Unknown Carex-img_1935.jpg  
Old 03-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
Lungwort

Here's a shot I took today - it had no problem dealing with our so-called winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Unknown Carex-img_3195.jpg  
Old 03-25-2012, 08:17 AM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

It's growth form is gonna be a help but... identifying grasses and sedges is tough even if you've got good close up photos. I stopped buying books on grass and sedge identification. The more I bought.... the less I could identify anything other than the most common of the common plus whatever I grew from seed. I suck at identifying grasses and sedges. Have you got access to any botanists you could send photos to?

adding, Any ideas on a genus or species? Maybe if you can zoom in and take more photos somebody can try helping you.

Last edited by Equilibrium; 03-25-2012 at 08:21 AM. Reason: adding something
Equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
Lungwort

Thanks, Equi. I'm usually OK at IDing stuff, but grasses are hard, as you say! I'm fairly certain on the Carex part but the species is eluding me! I should probably check out Cornell's site - maybe they have a place I could submit photos.

One thing I noticed was how much wider the leaves have gotten since it first started. They were pretty narrow when it first started growing but are almost an inch wide now. I love how the tips bend when it starts to flower.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #5
Fox

I have a guide handy. I need to know: length of the fertile spike, thickness of fertile spike. Does the seed pouch have a beak (looks like small or none in the photo)? I'm assuming the site is sunny and not wet.
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:42 AM   #6
Lungwort

Quote:
Originally Posted by benj1 View Post
I have a guide handy. I need to know: length of the fertile spike, thickness of fertile spike. Does the seed pouch have a beak (looks like small or none in the photo)? I'm assuming the site is sunny and not wet.
I can only answer one of those questions - the site is sunny and not wet. Can't help with the spike because it is not blooming now. What's a seed pouch and why would it have a beak?

As you can tell, I'm not experienced in IDing grasses! Thanks very much for trying, though - it is appreciated!

Tags
carex, unknown