Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > Glumiflorae

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Default Could it Be?

After mentioning on some thread that I had no success in growing little bluestem from seed, I found a couple plants among the seeds I sowed this winter. I'm wondering...is it little bluestem?

Could it Be?-dsc07832-.jpg

Could it Be?-dsc07833-1-.jpg

Could it Be?-dsc07862-.jpg
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
After mentioning on some thread that I had no success in growing little bluestem from seed, I found a couple plants among the seeds I sowed this winter. I'm wondering...is it little bluestem?

Looks like it very well could be, Dap! I have had sporadic success with this species from seed and I have yet to identify at the "baby" stage. Let 'er go and see what happens is my motto! Can always pull it up later if it's not what you wanted.
scarecrowsdrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:00 AM   #3
Rock Star

Hey Dapjwy, it's hard to tell from the photo but it looks similar to the self sown babies I found this year. Maybe it was a good year for little blue because it was only the second year I found younguns.
I don't know if the this photo helps you. These little blue planted themselves
in a tiny crevice in front of the rock border street side. When they first came up
I was unsure if it was little blue or blue-eyed grass until it got a little larger because both have a little fan shaped growth.
Attached Thumbnails
Could it Be?-img_3660.jpg  
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrowsdrm View Post
Looks like it very well could be, Dap! I have had sporadic success with this species from seed and I have yet to identify at the "baby" stage. Let 'er go and see what happens is my motto! Can always pull it up later if it's not what you wanted.
Thanks, scarecrowsdrm.

I planted a lot of wildflower seeds and some little bluestem...but with the warm winter and then a short cold snap come spring, several things that had germinated didn't make it--at least things weren't as thick as they have been in the past years...so, I think I'll try again this year now that I feel pretty sure that at least some germinated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-o-wisp View Post
Hey Dapjwy, it's hard to tell from the photo but it looks similar to the self sown babies I found this year...I was unsure if it was little blue or blue-eyed grass until it got a little larger because both have a little fan shaped growth.
will-o-wisp, your description of the fan-shaped growth and comparing it to blue-eyed grass helps make me more confident that it is my favorite grass--(formerly Andropogon scoparius) Schizachyrium scoparium!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 11-14-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
Offical Silphium Abuser

Congratulations, dap! May your babies have babies.

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
Congratulations, dap! May your babies have babies.
Thank you, Rebek...like yours did with the latest generation coming soon.