Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Garden Art, Décor, and Crafts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2009, 05:48 PM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Odds and ends

This is an underglazed ceramic juice pitcher. I made many of these from my own mold so I could give a set to my mom, mother-in-law, SIL's, and a few personal friends. I kept a set for myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Odds and ends-underglazedjuicepitcher.jpg  
Old 05-21-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

I made these bud vases for a friend overseas and forgot to send them to her. It has become a joke that I still have them and she tells me she doesn't want them until I deliver them myself. I tell her to come and pick them up from me. She lives in Australia and has wild parakeets in her backyard.
Attached Thumbnails
Odds and ends-parakeetsformyfriendinaustralia.jpg  
Old 05-21-2009, 05:54 PM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

This dove box I made for someone very special to me who died. The box was given back to me. I'm told it was on her dresser since the day she received it. It still has a little handwritten note in it from me. It's glazed and dry brushed. Nothing all that spectacular about it but she loved doves and I loved that she loved it.
Attached Thumbnails
Odds and ends-doveboxceramicanddrybrush.jpg  
Old 05-21-2009, 05:58 PM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

This is a flop that nobody wanted. I painted better things but they were all given away as gifts. It was one of the first things I experimented on when learning how to paint on glass ten years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Odds and ends-handpaintedstylizedlilyofvalley.jpg  
Old 05-21-2009, 08:01 PM   #5
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

WoW you're good! Was the painting on glass from the inside? If it was it must have been awfully hard to maneuver the brush from within.......
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:23 PM   #6
Salamander

Beautiful work Equilibrium. Particularly like the pitcher.
Im4dabirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:57 PM   #7

I took a reverse painting on glass class and created these to add a tropical look to my jungle room .

Odds and ends-dscf6443.jpg
Old 05-22-2009, 11:02 PM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

The painting on the glass was on the outside. Reverse painting is VERY difficult. The paints I used need to dry then you put them in the oven and heat it up and they are then permanent and dishwasher safe. I had fun but... that's a craft not an art. Underglazing is a little trickier but once you screw up about 10 you will get the hang of it. You're always shocked when the kiln is cooled down and you see pieces you thought for sure were keepers that are stick your finger in your mouth gag me. We had a pile out back where we would ceremoniously "retire" the gag me failures where color was all wrong or where it bled or didn't shade well. We tossed failures on the pile and watched them break. The failure pile was big. Now that I am more familiar with orchids, I would have done those pitchers entirely different and more natural looking. The ceramic pieces I liked the best were the more realistic pieces of wildlife like the dove. Not the cutsie ones but the ones where the animals were in natural habitats or natural poses. I have an eagle stein somewhere that turned out magnificent in my opinion. It was drybrushed after I had around 5 years of practice under my belt so it did turn out well. I hid it so good I don't know where it is. Thanks everyone. I prefer art to craft though. I'm no artist.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:04 PM   #9
Official Plant Nerd

Oopsie, posting when you were posting. Speak of the devil! There's one of those difficult reverse paintings. I tried a few of those and gave up. None of mine turned out even close to as good as your parrots. Mine looked like something a 4 yr old would have done that only a mother would love.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:27 PM   #10

You are correct. It was a new experience for me to learn. Paintings are usually created by starting with the background first and working your way forward to the closer subjects involved. The highlights are then added last.

In a reverse painting you paint the highlights first then the subject and finally the background. The hardest part for me was keeping my wrist off of the surface as it remains wet for a very long time. Each layer of oil paint has to dry before the next one is added. I hated the waiting period involved. When I did these I did the entire painting THEN flipped it over to see how it turned out. I wanted it to be a surprise. Either I liked it or not. I liked it.

Tags
art, artists, arts, craft, craft activities, crafting, crafts, ends, making, misc, miscellaneous, odds, odds & ends, odds and ends, origami, paint, paintings, talent