Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Fruits and Nuts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2009, 11:20 AM   #1
Too Wild To Garden

Default Chinkapin, castanea pumila

Greetings!

I am in the planning stages for a new garden bed in my yard. Details on the project are over in the playground thread. I plan to include a few fruit and nut trees or shrubs in this planting, and I was wondering if anyone could give me information on the trees and shrubs I am considering.

One of the shrubs/small trees I am considering is chinkapin, castanea pumila. I’m thinking in a few years my son will get a kick out of playing with the spiky seed-pods, as well as eating the nuts. Is anyone here familiar with this plant?

I heard somewhere that this bush is susceptible to the chestnut blight, but that if it contracts the blight, it is likely to survive.

What is the minimum distance that I should plant this from my house, in order to keep branches and roots from becoming a problem? (The house is two-story and has a gutter.) Are there any reasons that this wouldn’t be a good choice for inclusion in a children’s play area? Will I need to protect the young tree from our resident hungry deer population?

[size=3]Can anyone confirm if http://www.empirechestnut.com/catalog.htm
]this
is a reputable nursery for purchasing chinkapin? Or can you recommend somewhere else?

Have I heard correctly that I will need two of these in order to get a crop of nuts?

Thanks for your feedback!
Stoloniferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:27 AM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

"I heard somewhere that this bush is susceptible to the chestnut blight, but that if it contracts the blight, it is likely to survive." I don't believe so although there are many still standing. That's a cousin to the American Chestunt, Catanea dentata. I wouldn't trust it to survive.

"What is the minimum distance that I should plant this from my house, in order to keep branches and roots from becoming a problem?" The roots shouldn't be a problem. Spread will depend on which Chestnut you pick.

"Are there any reasons that this wouldn’t be a good choice for inclusion in a children’s play area?" No

"Will I need to protect the young tree from our resident hungry deer population?" Yes

"Have I heard correctly that I will need two of these in order to get a crop of nuts?" Yes

Consider this CHestnut, http://www.oikostreecrops.com/store/...a=any&PT_ID=73
Old 01-22-2009, 10:22 AM   #3
Too Wild To Garden

Thank you Equil!
Old 01-22-2009, 07:09 PM   #4
Heron

You might also want to protect them from your bunny population as well. Rabbits will "gird" the bark off young trees with no problem. I usually wrap mine and use a wire cage around the young trees until they get some growth. Keeps off both rabbits and deer.

There can be no other occupation like gardening in which, if you were to creep up behind someone at their work, you would find them smiling. ~Mirabel Osler

LadySapphire22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:49 AM   #5
Too Wild To Garden

Thanks Sapphire!
Old 01-24-2009, 01:00 AM   #6
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

The biggest chinkapins (Castanea pumila) I've seen are ten or fifteen feet tall at the most, so I don't think there'd be a problem planting one maybe ten feet or so from a house (?)

At least some chinkapins have male and female flowers on the same tree - I never noticed myself, but there a pics on Duke's site of catkins with m/f flowers.

http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/trees/capu.html

male/staminate catkins and leaves
Attached Thumbnails
Chinkapin, castanea pumila-dsc03966.jpg   Chinkapin, castanea pumila-dsc03969.jpg  

Last edited by swamp thing; 01-24-2009 at 01:23 AM. Reason: added pictures
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:07 AM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

"The biggest chinkapins (Castanea pumila) I've seen are ten or fifteen feet tall at the most, so I don't think there'd be a problem planting one maybe ten feet or so from a house (?)" I would agree.

Good photos.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:05 PM   #8
Too Wild To Garden

Thank you Swamp Thing!

Tags
castanea, chinkapin, pumila