Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Fruits and Nuts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2008, 07:34 AM   #21
Grub

I have taken 6 deer so far this season,have donated 2 to the local mission and have one more packaged up just need to drop it off.I use everything from the deer,even the bones,there are some bones i can't use and they go back to nature.
rondo769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:50 PM   #22
Unicellular Fungi

Good for you! Impressive.
TheLorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:41 PM   #23
Grub

Here are pics of the necklaces and beads i make i,the necklace i have on,i have worn for 3yrs it's perminant it will never come off.All the beads i have made myself from the bones of roadkill i pick up.The brown beads you see are bone to,they have been dyed with walnut dye,the war eagle is also carved from bone.I use everything from the animal i can,what i can't use(which isn't much)the vultures and rodents appreciate
Attached Thumbnails
North American native tree nuts-necklace-001.jpg  
Old 12-06-2008, 12:14 AM   #24
Unicellular Fungi

That's what I call a power necklace. I have one of those that was a gift from a personal friend. I wear it when I need to go someplace that makes me nervous. Here's mine and it's also made out of natural materials. This is one of the few gifts I have received that I actually wear. The little guy is kokapelli and you'll understand why he's a favorite of mine after reading below.

http://www.indigenouspeople.net/kokopelli.htm
Quote:
Known as a fertility god, prankster, healer and story teller, Kokopelli has been a source of wonder throughout the country for centuries. Kokopelli embodies the true American Southwest, and dates back over 3,000 years ago, when the first petroglyphs were carved. Although his true origins are unknown, this traveling, flute-playing Casanova is a sacred figure to many Southwestern Native Americans. Carvings of this hunch-backed flute-playing figure have been found painted and carved into rock walls and boulders throughout the Southwest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kokopelli
Quote:
In his domain over agriculture, Kokopelli's fluteplaying chases away the Winter and brings about Spring. Many tribes, such as the Zuni, also associate Kokopelli with the rains. He frequently appears with Paiyatuma, another flutist, in depictions of maize-grinding ceremonies. Some tribes say he carries seeds and babies on his back.
Attached Thumbnails
North American native tree nuts-necklace1.jpg  
Old 12-07-2008, 09:06 AM   #25
Grub

Somewhere i have a kokopelli i carved a few years ago,if i can find it i will post a pic
Old 12-07-2008, 11:10 AM   #26
Grub

Here is a pic of the bonsai i have had since i was 10,i have had it for 23yrs.My grandfather gave it to me as a birthday present for my 10th birthday,he had a lot of influence on me,and is the reason i love to garden and grow things
Attached Thumbnails
North American native tree nuts-bonsai-001.jpg  
Old 12-08-2008, 08:59 AM   #27
WG Guardian Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
http://www.acf.org/

there are American chestnuts. You can get trees. The nuts are probably not commercially available yet.
Thanks for the link! I knew the effort was being made, but I didn't know it was so far along. There's a test orchard about 25 miles from here. Wonder if they let people go see?

Think I need to join the Georgia chapter.
JennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:23 PM   #28
Big Fat juicy WORM

Jenny, are you a Master Gardener? If not, you should check on the program in your area. Not only is it great fun, but you would be amazed at the number of doors of opportunity is opens
doccat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:47 PM   #29
WG Guardian Spirit

Doccat, I'm not, and I've worried about it because I've been warned it's not at all organic-friendly. That problem may just be here locally, but it was my county extension agent who warned me, so I do believe it.

OTOH, I know you're a Master Gardener, and it's obviously benefited you. I think it may be time to look into it myself.
JennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:15 PM   #30
Unicellular Fungi

As with anything else, there are states that are considerably more progressive than others. My state sucks in the Master Gardener Dept. Wisconsin is leap years ahead of us. You're going to have to go with the flow and determine for yourself if the program is worth it for you. Old ways die hard.

Tags
american, native, north, nuts, tree