Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Forum Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 10:14 PM   #1
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Default Server Too Busy

Oh the irony: I typed up this post and, although in the original, I stated that I've been trying to remember to copy and paste in case I lose a message, I forgot to do it and am typing this up again!
I'm assuming this has already been brought to the attention of those in charge, but I thought I'd post here. For the past several days, this message has appeared periodically:
"The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later."

It is not too much of a nuisance when just trying to open a thread to read, but when typing up a post or reply, it is frustrating to lose everything when trying to submit it. As I said in the beginning, I sometimes forget to copy it and lose my responses.

Is this something within the WG site, or something outside of "our" control?
Thanks. <remembering to copy this in case I get that dumb message again!>
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:45 PM   #2
WG's Mr. Tomato Head

Thousands of illegitimate registrations since 12/24. Rogue bots & content scrapers coming at us since 1/5. It's troublesome stopping them from stealing WG's bandwidth.
"If gardening isn't a pleasure for you, chances are the work will merely give you a rotten disposition. If you'd rather be golfing or fishing, get a bumper sticker that says so, and forget gardening."
Elsa Bakalar

Last edited by TheLorax; 02-02-2011 at 09:32 AM. Reason: removing bad word
WG Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:55 PM   #3
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

As I tried to post before but got interrupted with another "server busy" notice, the performance of this site for the past month is the absolute worst of any of the many sites I have regularly used in many years.

Why is this a problem for just WG? And what is the plan as this problem isn't likely to go away, is it?
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WG Admin View Post
Thousands of illegitimate registrations since 12/24. Rogue bots & content scrapers coming at us since 1/5. It's a bitch stopping them from stealing WG's bandwidth.
Thanks for the info, WG Admin,

So sorry to hear that you have to deal with all of that.

Thanks, we do appreciate what you are doing.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 02-02-2011, 09:31 AM   #5
Unicellular Fungi

We are so incredibly sorry.

Wildlife Gardeners is not like other websites. We are managed by non-technical environmentalists who do not posses the skillsets of other webmasters. We do the very best we can.

We have been banning their IP addresses hourly. This does slow them down. We have been adding their usernames to banned lists. This also slows them down. We have been attempting to block the bots from stealing our bandwidth however they come back at us with a vengeance. We do try. One, frequently two, of us is here silently working every waking moment of every day.

We can not apologize enough. We want everyone to please understand we are doing our very best humanly possible with limited resources.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:51 AM   #6
The Bug Whisperer

Thank you for the clarification, Admin and Lorax; I'd been wondering about the sudden appearance of these server busy warnings myself. I'll try contacting a family member who is extremely computer savvy (it's how he makes his living) to see if he has any practical suggestions.

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:41 AM   #7
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

promise

I'm so glad you started a thread on this so we all know what's up..
I had been wanting to contact staff directly about this for a long long time but figured they more than likely already knew about it.
Not wanting to add to their burden, I remained silent.

Oh I so hope he can help us out Suunto.
It's been driving me crazy for the last month loosing so many photos and having to relocate them all in a huge haystack besides all the retyping of info that's lost with each bleep.....

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLorax View Post
We are so incredibly sorry.

Wildlife Gardeners is not like other websites. We are managed by non-technical environmentalists who do not posses the skillsets of other webmasters. We do the very best we can...
TheLorax,

I think the members here *love* this site so much, and we remember what it was like when we thought we'd lose it, so I'm sure we all appreciate what you all do to keep the site going. *I'm* incredibly sorry that you all have to deal with this. Your comment about being a group of "non-technical environmentalists" made me smile. We love the site you all came up with.

I hope the problem can be solved soon for everyone involved...it has to be incredibly frustrating on your end, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suunto View Post
Thank you for the clarification, Admin and Lorax; I'd been wondering about the sudden appearance of these server busy warnings myself. I'll try contacting a family member who is extremely computer savvy (it's how he makes his living) to see if he has any practical suggestions.
Great, suunto! This is another thing that is so great about the WG--members are so willing to help out. I hope your family member can provide a solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
I'm so glad you started a thread on this so we all know what's up..
I had been wanting to contact staff directly about this for a long long time but figured they more than likely already knew about it.
Not wanting to add to their burden, I remained silent.

Oh I so hope he can help us out Suunto.
It's been driving me crazy for the last month loosing so many photos and having to relocate them all in a huge haystack besides all the retyping of info that's lost with each bleep.....
~smile~ havalotta, I guess I'm glad I did too. I think understanding where the problem is coming from makes us all much more patient with it when it arises.

I almost contacted the staff directly, too, but figured they knew already as well. Glad to have a place to vent *and* post possible solutions.

Here's my tip to you: always highlight your response, copy, and paste it into Word so that you can simply paste it later instead of retyping it (should that dreaded message appear again). Sorry, no ideas for you about the pictures--unless you want to copy them into a temporary folder on your computer you could name a folder "For Posting" then delete the copies after they are posted. ...At least that way you could find them easily.

<highlighting and copying my post now >
Old 02-02-2011, 12:00 PM   #9
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I do not know how to use WORD.
Any hints?
Gotta run for now, see you later!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
I do not know how to use WORD.
Any hints?
Gotta run for now, see you later!

Hmm.... I was going to say I try to paste into Microsoft Word anyway to check for typos. If you don't paste into Word, you could open a new e-mail and paste it there.

You don't really have to paste it anywhere as long as you don't copy anything else before you get it pasted back in your post/reply.

Tags
administration, bots, busy, error, error message, errors, meaning, message, problem, problems, server, server busy, servie problems, spam