Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Forum Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2010, 10:04 AM   #1
Unicellular Fungi

Question A sincere question about Wildlife Gardeners

What, if anything, have you learned from your visits to Wildlife Gardeners?
Old 06-24-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
Grub

Hmm . . . native plant knowledge mostly - although I plan on abusing insect identification soon enough

I have learned there are like-minded, knowledgeable and friendly people here as well. It's a great place for reading on a subject that is more and more important to me all the time.
TimSaupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:40 AM   #3
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSaupe View Post
Hmm . . . native plant knowledge mostly - although I plan on abusing insect identification soon enough

I have learned there are like-minded, knowledgeable and friendly people here as well. It's a great place for reading on a subject that is more and more important to me all the time.
Aww! Can I steal, Tim's answer?!

I was going to say almost the same thing about like-minded people. I'm also learning from other's experiences, about eco-regions, and more about views on provenance among other things.

Interesting topic...I'll probably ruminate more about it in the coming days...or at least enjoy reading other's responses...and maybe stealing them too. ~wink~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:16 PM   #4
Salamander

Reading the different forums on WG, one quickly learns that there are many, many folks who are recognizing the importance of using, preserving, and conserving our native flora. The threats to our natural resources are similar throughout the country. And there are common threads in the efforts to protect them. And, finally, there is an open willingness to share with each other our successes and failures.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:41 PM   #5
WG Contest Coordinator

I have found more than anything else, that there a bunch of people out there that have the same passion as I do about the environment and that I really don't as much as I should...
Old 06-24-2010, 04:43 PM   #6
Great Horned Owl

This site has allowed me to test my knowledge as I read the words and look at the pictures of others. One result is that I realize how very much I don't know. Perhaps more importantly, it has given me motivation to act on actions previously only considered.

More specifically, the sharing of book and on-line suggestions, being made aware of national or regional events like Cirsium's timely sharing of it being National Pollinator Week with its associated videos and articles. The inspiration gained by looking at Amelanchier's enlightened labors in less than ideal surroundings. Equilibrium's frequent insightful comments and knowledgeable explanations. Tineckbone's success at realizing what for me is only an aspiration- and I could go on and on.

Most of all, the site has provided me with a homesite from which to share my successes and failures, dreams and dislikes.
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:05 PM   #7
WG Facilitator

I have learned that although I often feel adrift in a sea of people so unconnected to growing or nurturing. . . I can come here and realize I'm not the last one left . . . In fact there are some here that make me feel like a beginner compared to their vast knowledge and experiences.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:09 PM   #8
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Wildlife Gardeners has taught me to care about a lot of things I hadn't really thought about before in relation to environmental issues; the differences in native vs non-native and invasive vs non-invasive and why I should care and learn more; and led me to more valuable information on so many subjects. WG members have helped me with projects, appreciated my questions or input, and become friends. WG is sharing and mind-expanding!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:26 PM   #9
Fox

Stiltgrass. Didn't know it existed before I joined! And now it haunts me from all corners of my wildspace.
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:34 AM   #10
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I learned a new term here: yarden! ~smile~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gardeners, question, sincere, wildlife