Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Forum Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 02:06 AM   #1
Heron

Default Question about signing in , posting ?

I am a self confessed computer dummy , that combined with an excessively SLOW typing speed . Has lead me to a few frustrations . I am NOT a child of the computer age and have never taken a computer class so excuse me for asking what is to most rudimentary question(s) .

I have on a number of ocassions typed a somewhat lengthy (for me ) reply/query/comment to another post only to find that when I punch send , I apparently no longer logged in , resulting in the post/reply being lost into the internet nether world . So apparently I somehow became logged out in the duration of time in the course of composing/typing the post .

Does by checking of the "Remember me" box at sign in maintain one's logged in status ?

If I realize that I have taken a long time in making a post I sometimes have "copied" my own post before "sending" it . Then if the post then does not fly I can then "paste" on to a new blank page .

Can someone simplify, help me understand this a little better ?
lonediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:20 AM   #2
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I too am a child of the non computer age. Most of my knowledge has come from this sight in exactly the same way.....
By asking questions such as this very same one you've just asked.
I've lost so many posts in the beginning it's unbelievable I even kept trying as I did.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:28 AM   #3

Checking remember me does not save you from this grief.
The computer sort of shuts you off like a protection mode after a while if you take too long typing before sending it in..

While typing you should press the preview message button every now and then and continue typing in the box.
This keeps the session live so that you are less likely to time out for inactivity before you submit the message.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:29 AM   #4
Fox

Copy is always your friend if you don't want to have to type it all over. Even on the best of days things don't always post for whatever reason. Be it your end of a servers end.
MaggyNoLia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:39 AM   #5
Heron

Another point to bring up is that you are talking to someone who does not frequently remember the concept of time .

Whose wife who frequently has to nag him as to whether or not "Have you eaten today ?" at 2 or 3 o'clock in the afternoon . I become preoccupied by thought or whatever I am doing and forget/oblivious to anything else around me .
Old 02-02-2010, 02:50 AM   #6

Gee, You sound a bit like me.
You WILL eventually start to remember to hit preview after you've rewritten things 2-3 times over to eagerly share with us.
One thing I forgot to mention....You must go into the go advanced area to type where you CAN preview post every now and then.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:24 AM   #7
The Bug Whisperer

Don't feel like the Lone Stranger - I've been using computers on a regular basis for more than 20 years, and still have experiences that leave me going B-b-b-b-b-b-b-....
That aside, the advice you've already been given should solve most of your frustrations!

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:35 PM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

If you do that remember me when you first log in... sometimes when you time out you can log back in and you get everything you were working on back. If you don't do the remember me you don't have a shot at getting it back unless you were letting the forum know you were still working on your post by clicking that go advanced then clicking that preview post every 15 minutes or so... which doesn't really work for me because I start typing then take off to do something else for too long and lose what I was typing anyway... unless I can get it back from logging in again using the remember me. High lighting then doing the control click save to be able to do control click paste would work but I take off and forget to do that. Posts are like socks in a dryer... they disappear sometimes and it's always the ones I put thought into that get sucked into the black cyber hole.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:49 PM   #9
Pope

Quote:
You WILL eventually start to remember to hit preview
This trick has saved me numerous times, and is a huge help when you want to see how your photos are going to look, too, before you post. Preview, preview, preview...it is one of my many mantras.
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:43 PM   #10
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgerowe View Post
This trick has saved me numerous times, and is a huge help when you want to see how your photos are going to look, too, before you post. Preview, preview, preview...it is one of my many mantras.
Perhaps I will learn better given time , some things I remain dense in/about . Such as remembering to eat . Excuse me , I just realized that I have not eaten breakfast yet . Best do that before the wife gets to nagging at me .

Tags
posting, question, signing