Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Forum Announcements

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 07:03 AM   #1
WG's Mr. Tomato Head

trophy The Winner of our Butterfly/Moth Contest- how to raise them is MrILoveTheAnts

MrILoveTheAnts is the winner of our our Butterfly/Moth Contest- how to raise them which ended 2/15/13.

MrILoveTheAnts will receive a $20 gift certificate.

Let's give MrILoveTheAnts a big round of applause for a well written and informative article-
Lending Lepidoptera a Hand
"If gardening isn't a pleasure for you, chances are the work will merely give you a rotten disposition. If you'd rather be golfing or fishing, get a bumper sticker that says so, and forget gardening."
Elsa Bakalar
WG Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Way to go there MrILoveTheAnts!
You've a very niiiiice certificate awaiting you here: http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/for...se-them-2.html

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #3
WG Operations, Facilitator

trophy

Winner of the Butterfly/Moth Contest- how to raise them Contest

MrILoveTheAnts

For his well written and most awesome article:
"Lending Lepidoptera a Hand"

Congratulations MITLA!!!!!

Feature Article Award.pdf

The Winner of our Butterfly/Moth Contest- how to raise them is MrILoveTheAnts
Old 03-13-2013, 06:13 PM   #4
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Congratulations, MrILoveTheAnts!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Great job, MILTA!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:56 PM   #6
1st Place Winner Winner Butterfly/Moth Contest & Official Ant Man

Thanks everyone! As an update, I figured it was the first day of spring so I went down to check on the Black Swallowtails and sure enough one of the 8 actually emerged already! I'd thought there were 9 at one point, but I've learned two of them are empty, so one must have hatched last autumn and I forgot. It's surprisingly hard to tell which ones are hatched and which ones haven't without touching them.

I consulted one of my friends who does this more than me and she says she's heard anywhere from 1:3 to 1:10 sugar to water ratio. So I'm trying 1:4 which is about what I feed my honeybees. Not sure how much salt they need yet but I'm sure I can just put a table spoon's worth on a sponge or something.
Attached Thumbnails
The Winner of our Butterfly/Moth Contest- how to raise them is MrILoveTheAnts-blackswallowtailfirst2.jpg   The Winner of our Butterfly/Moth Contest- how to raise them is MrILoveTheAnts-blackswallowtailfirst.jpg   The Winner of our Butterfly/Moth Contest- how to raise them is MrILoveTheAnts-blackswallowtailfirst3.jpg   The Winner of our Butterfly/Moth Contest- how to raise them is MrILoveTheAnts-blackswallowtailfirst4.jpg  
MrILoveTheAnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #7
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrILoveTheAnts View Post
As an update, I figured it was the first day of spring so I went down to check on the Black Swallowtails and sure enough one of the 8 actually emerged already!
Congrats, again MrILoveTheAnts! What a great way to celebrate the first day of spring--especially considering the weather around here is hardly spring-like.

I love your books in the background. I ought to get some of those to read myself!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #8
1st Place Winner DIY Catchall Contest

Congrats, nicely done.
Viceroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #9
WG Facilitator

Congratulations!
Old 03-23-2013, 06:31 PM   #10
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrILoveTheAnts View Post
Thanks everyone! As an update, I figured it was the first day of spring so I went down to check on the Black Swallowtails and sure enough one of the 8 actually emerged already! I'd thought there were 9 at one point, but I've learned two of them are empty, so one must have hatched last autumn and I forgot. It's surprisingly hard to tell which ones are hatched and which ones haven't without touching them.

I consulted one of my friends who does this more than me and she says she's heard anywhere from 1:3 to 1:10 sugar to water ratio. So I'm trying 1:4 which is about what I feed my honeybees. Not sure how much salt they need yet but I'm sure I can just put a table spoon's worth on a sponge or something.
Congrats, MILTA! Nice job!

Cool that your swallowtails emerged. I had one emerge prematurely in early March. I fed him for two days, then euthanized him. There was no way to release him when it was snowing out and I didn't have the time to feed him for a month or more.

If you are planning on keeping them for a while, you can give them Gatorade. I use cotton balls soaked in room temperature Gatorade. When they are done feeding, throw the cotton balls away. Mold will kill them.

Good luck!

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
article, butterflies, butterfly, butterfly or moth, contest, contest winner, feature article, moth, moths, mrilovetheants, raise, win, winner, write, written