Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Forum Announcements

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #11
Fox

I read that as Java 7 and browser add-ons, so to be safe I disabled my Java 6.
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #12
Official Plant Nerd

I read about this but.... I really didn't get what's actually going on. I had a kid disable it on my computer until.... I found out I couldn't watch YouTubes anymore which.... bugged me. I've got replica so I went and backed up my whole computer then enabled the Java again. I figure if I go down.... I won't be down for much more than a few hours... I could get my husband to zero out my computer then I could reload everything just as it was over night if I wanted because all you have to do with that replica is literally plug it in.... there's like nothing you have to do.... it starts running on its own the minute its plugged in and when it's done... it shuts down the computer so the next time you turn it on.... it's like nothing happened. Java's gonna come out with a fix sooner or later so why completely uninstall it>>>? Is there something else we can use to watch YouTubes with? I don't like software being the only "ballgame" in town so I'd try something new.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #13
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Java is always a security issue, but 6 is not the current problem.

Lib, I'm afraid by reinstalling java you will get the 7.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #14
Official Plant Nerd

I've already got 7. What I meant was if I went down with whatever the virus du jour is.... I could wipe the whole computer entirely and just plug in my replica and that would be that. Replica copies your whole computer.... just as it was the last time you ran it. I can run it all the time if I want but... my computer is too old for that and it's slow enough already. Ya... I heard Java was a lot like Microsoft and was targeted by every hacker out there. It'd be nice if there was another software program out there I could install that would let me watch YouTubes. For now.... I'm ok. The whole computer was fully backed up over the weekend. I'll back it all up again next time I take photos. It's my photos I care about.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:40 PM   #15
WG Writer

I have disabled all java/Oracle on my computer. I can still watch You Tube, I don't see what Java was doing anyway.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:46 AM   #16
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I read about this but.... I really didn't get what's actually going on. I had a kid disable it on my computer until.... I found out I couldn't watch YouTubes anymore which.... bugged me. ...
Java and Javascript have similar names and are often confused as being the same thing; but they are different critters. It's kind of like the difference between car and carport. The security problem is with Java, not Javascript. YouTube uses Javascript, so you should not have any problem watching YouTube after you disable Java.

Have a look at the response to this question:
Help with java, javascript and flash for youtube? - Yahoo! Answers

Cirsium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #17

Thanks, Cirsium! Java has applets I think. The iPad doesn't use them and I have trouble with some shopping sites on the iPad.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #18
WG Staff

Default Oracle Ships Critical Security Update for Java

Oracle Ships Critical Security Update for Java
Jan 13, 2013

Oracle Ships Critical Security Update for Java — Krebs on Security
excerpt from above:
Quote:
Oracle has released a software update to fix a critical security vulnerability in its Java software that miscreants and malware have been exploiting to break into vulnerable computers.

Java 7 Update 11 fixes a critical flaw (CVE-2013-0422) in Java 7 Update 10 and earlier versions of Java 7. The update is available via Oracle’s Web site, or can be downloaded from with Java via the Java Control Panel. Existing users should be able to update by visiting the Windows Control Panel and clicking the Java icon, or by searching for “Java” and clicking the “Update Now” button from the Update tab.

This update also changes…
Old 01-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #19

THank you
Old 01-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #20
Official Plant Nerd

Cirsium> Ohhhhh.... thank you thank you thank you. I didn't know they were different. I disabled the "right" java and I'm finding out doing that doesn't mess with anything that I can see so far. I think I'll have somebody uninstall that java if I can't find where I'd ever need it.

Tags
issued, java, security, software, warning