Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners Feature Forums > Feature Articles

Comment

LinkBack (4) Journal Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2009, 10:23 AM  
Hedgerowe
Pope

Default The Essential Hedgerow

Note: Much has been written about non-native species used in gardening, many of which were introduced to North America as hedging plants. The unfortunate results of these introductions are evident and the argument against their use is clear. I advocate only...
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
By Hedgerowe on 01-17-2010, 06:03 PM

Gosh, thanks hazelnut, benj1, BooBooBearBecky, and dapjwy. I guess I am preaching to the choir, but I wrote the sort of article that I searched high and low for before I joined WG. I figured that if I had been looking for information like that, others might be, too. Plus, I cannot bear to see another row of Leyland Cypress planted and if there are people out there looking for ideas, maybe they'll stumble across this article and come away with a better plan.
By dapjwy on 01-18-2010, 12:01 PM

GREAT! Hedgerowe. I'm sure you will convert some people who have had no idea what to plant.

Sometimes we have to just do it ourselves. I had been searching for blogs about native plants and didn't find many in my search. Also, the few I found were not in my area of the country, so I decided to create my own. Maybe it won't be the inspiration I'm looking for, but it *will* be my personal journal and, over the years, I'll be able to see how far I've come.

Thank you so much for writing it and sharing it!
By Equilibrium on 01-23-2010, 11:39 AM

We're infected... we've caught the bug big time... there is no cure because we have been enlightened, Wild Farm Alliance. "Symptoms of the hedgerow bug come on suddenly, an overwhelming urge and passion for planting native shrubs, trees, grasses, and other plants in areas that once may have been mowed or weeded or even cultivated in some form of production. It usually starts slowly, with limited experiments on field borders, roadsides, or stream banks. Once infected, the roots of this new life-altering outlook on farming and gardening and landscaping grow deep. Ideas of the landscape become immensely more nuanced and preconceived notions of what a farm should look like quickly fall away. Landowners throughout the country look for all kinds of opportunities to “go native” with their plantings. Sometimes entire rows of vines or orchard trees or cultivated fields may be retired as a way to integrate more natives into the mix. The benefits of such plantings are many and could take a whole essay to address, but I’ll name a few here. Year-round sources of pollen and nectar that attract local beneficial insects and pollinators that can directly affect crop output; stabilization of soils and filtration of runoff; on-farm habitat for a variety of other creatures; buffers from drift off various kinds; an overall enhanced sense of stewardship that comes with being part of coevolving beauty." We know our past irresponsible plant purchasing unsustainable ways need to go, the best we can do is hang out together creating our own 12 step support program. Take one day at a time... we'll create guiding principles outlining a course of action by... adding ONE carefully selected plant to our hedgerows at a time while sponsoring others along the path to sustainability... baby steps everyone. Baby steps. Together we can beat exotic ornamental plant and toxic turf addictions!!!
The road ahead...
admitting that one cannot control one's addiction or compulsion;
recognizing a greater power that can give strength;
examining past errors with the help of a sponsor (experienced member);
making amends for these errors;
learning to live a new life with a new code of behavior;
helping others that suffer from the same addictions or compulsions.
By hazelnut on 01-23-2010, 03:47 PM

I think hedgerows are such a natural way to use native plants and provide spaces that help replace the wildlife habitats that we have cleared and turned into grass and concrete.

And they are such a great way to re-familiarize ourselves with the native plant wonders such as the Amelanchiers, Magnolias, Viburnums, and the Native Roses. If you plant these, you will surely get the critters that go with them.

Also I noticed that the Virginia Magnolia (Sweetbay Magnolia) is listed as one of the native plants for the Pennsylvania area. I always laugh when I see this one--its sort of a dwarf version of the Magnolia Grandifloria. The small scale is perfect for most city sized lots. Makes a perfect "grove" of Magnolias in a back corner.
By Hedgerowe on 01-23-2010, 04:35 PM

Equilibrium, in all the many hours I have spent trying to read whatever is on the internet about hedgerows, I have never run across the page you linked to, Wild Farm Alliance. What a riot! I had no idea that there were others suffering from the same affliction as I do. It is all TOO TRUE. However, I advocate adding at least three plants at a time whenever there is room.

Hazelnut, of course I could not agree with you more!
By dapjwy on 01-23-2010, 10:19 PM

~SMILE~ I love it!

Yup, I've been bitten by the bug--YEARS ago, only now I have a chance to let it hit me full force. This is a great site with great people! I'm more enthused than ever--and I've been pretty enthused up 'til now!
By dapjwy on 01-23-2010, 10:25 PM

I just had a thought: Many people are so detached from nature that they are unfamilar with what is native, so when they see the plants people like us use in the hedgerow and landscape, they may think they are the newest and latest thing and plant them in their own yards.

Thanks for the suggestion of Virginia magnolia--I'm gonna check out my Plants of Pennsylvania book to see if it grows in my county.
By Hedgerowe on 01-23-2010, 10:26 PM

Happy to have been an enabler, dapjwy.
By dapjwy on 01-23-2010, 10:52 PM

rofl

Hey, there are worst addictions.

Too bad all addictions didn't provide such beneficial results!
By Equilibrium on 01-25-2010, 06:56 AM

Ya, I thought you'd like that but then... I'm not a Rotter fan either.
Comment

Tags
attract insects, attract pollinators, attract wildlife, brambles, flowering plants, food for wildlife, hedge, hedgerow, hedgerow growth, hedgerow plants, hedgerows, hedges, host plants, maintain hedgerow, maintaining hedgerows, native plant diversity, native plants, native species habitat, nesting spots, protection for native species, shrubs, the essential hedgerow, trees, wildlife gardening, woodland edge

Journal Tools