Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Education For

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 02:08 PM   #1
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

camera4 Camera options

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice (Pros AND Cons) on the following cameras before I replace the Fujifilm 18x 10 M.P. I'm currently using.

Panasonic FZ 100 24x 14 M.P. is the one I'm seriously thinking about buying over the newest....

Fuji film HS10 30x 10 M..P mainly because...They say you should always choose more M.P.'s over Zoom capability.

Olympus SP800-UZ 30x 14 M.P. Sounds like it has the best of both worlds but does it?

Canon SX 30 35x and 14 M.P. Is the only camera I actually had in hand but the sales women could tell me NOTHING about it...
I played around with it a bit and found I didn't like the double click to switch from screen to eye viewing....
something I use quite frequently to locate things quicker.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
Salamander

Camera models change as fast as new computers. I have been using a Panasonic DMC-FZ10PP for the last five or six years, and it does everything I desire from a camera. The newer model you listed probably has more MPs and features. My suggestion is to try each camera out before you purchase it.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:50 PM   #3
Mentor

I have the canon 30sxIS. It has the longest reaching lens of the superzooms I've seen, but I haven't used it enough to learn how to use it yet. THe X part doesn't seem to mean much for the zoom, I look up the effective focal length. Seems like all these superzooms are pretty good cameras for the price. I thought about going dslr but the $ and weight of a lens with the reach I need for birds/mammals didn't seem very practical for a guy who likes to hike.

Pictures 1 and 2 are seadragons taken under very low light

RedPolls taken out of a van as it began moving.

Cormorants very far away and in bad light
Attached Thumbnails
Camera options-lsd2.jpg   Camera options-lsd.jpg   Camera options-crp.jpg   Camera options-corma.jpg  
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:58 PM   #4
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

It's difficult to try each camera unless you have a local camera store with all the models you're considering. A suggestion: Go to: Flickr Explore; click on pix you like and check to see what camera was used.

Personally I like the comfortable feel of the Panasonics. But like I mentioned before, use the camera you have now WITHOUT using any automatic settings. No camera will give its top performance unless you know how to use manual settings for aperture, shutter speed, exposure, etc. I bet you'd find you can get the results you want with the camera you have!

Unless you will need to print poster-size prints, you don't really need more mp. The heavier pix take longer to upload, like a window shade being pulled down. Unless you must shoot Peregrines 18 floors up, or flying, you probably can't make a good case for spending more money!

just trying too help..........
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:54 PM   #5

We have ONE camera store and A Wall mart so I've been reading all about the various models while waiting for their new lines to come in.
I agree with midwesterner...
Quote:
about going dslr, the $ and weight of a lens with the reach I need for birds/mammals didn't seem very practical for a (girl) who likes to hike.
Sage....
Quote:
No camera will give its top performance unless you know how to use manual settings for aperture, shutter speed, exposure, etc.
I bet you'd find you can get the results you want with the camera you have!
I've been doing a lot of playing with the manuals settings and have YET to figure them out! Sometimes I actually get a few of those good shots but I haven't the knowledge HOW I've done it! It's all just a bunch of Jibberish numbers and moving histograms...
It's not that I want more necessarily in a camera..... It's necessity that is drawing me to a new one... Mine is starting to loose some of its capability....I guess it's true...You CAN burn them out piece by piece. It's been a real good camera all in all. The only thing I didn't like about the fuji was I could NOT zoom while in video mode and I had trouble focusing in dim lighting...

Old 01-26-2011, 11:28 AM   #6

I just showed Roger your first post and we're thinkin' the Canon, We will research it after his birthday brunch coming up soon. He LOVES to research cameras and is up on most of them. Don't buy any today till you hear back!!! We might get the one we choose too!
Old 01-26-2011, 11:29 AM   #7

I'm thinking too, that then you may have to hop on a plane and come down for a week and we'll go on fabulous fotoshootz!
Old 01-26-2011, 12:54 PM   #8

Canon Cons..Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Review - Digital cameras - CNET Reviews
Quote:
Controls can be confusing, No raw output, quality of the pictures is not consistent, high zoom encounters focus problems, noisy photos at full size, overall slow performance, low light photos become soft if you don't manually set the shutter speed high and compensate using iso controls...etc
Seems the cons out number the positives by a long run.
Plus, it doesn't come with a very detailed hand manual which forces you to look up anything major online. Not very handy when you're IN the field.
Basically if you want the largest zoom possible that's the one to buy but don't expect much else from it in its other options.
I think I'd boot this one from the list but I'll wait just to see what Rogers opinion will be.

So far..... The Panasonic FZ 100 24x 14 M.P. seems to be one of the highest in the reviews I've checked.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:24 PM   #9
Co-Administrator

These two reviews show the "time to first shot" and "typical shot-to-shot time". The Panasonic is faster than the Canon. 3.5 seconds from shot-to-shot (Canon) could be a nuisance for nature shots where the subject is moving around.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ100 Review - Digital cameras - CNET Reviews

Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Review - Digital cameras - CNET Reviews

Cirsium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:31 PM   #10

Great point, Cirsium! That is really important to me!

Roger is researching havalotta's list and I bet he will buy one of whatever he determines to be the best option because he's been talking about it already. And the fz-100 WILL take the long lens we already for the fz-35. (the replacement one for the one that flew out of my hand and onto the pavement shortly after we first got it)

Tags
brands, buy, camera, camera brands, camera features, camera models, cameras, canon, choice, comparison, cons, features, fuji, olympus, opinions, options, panasonic, photo, photographer, photography, photos, pros, pruchase, specifications, taking pictures