Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Education For

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #71
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

ok then.

After I upload my pix, daily if I've out shooting, by putting the chip into the laptop slot for that purpose, I put the chip back in the camera and reformat it. So every time I go out, I have a clean chip.

After you back up what you want to save, you can save your folders of trip pix, etc., to online web albums, shutterfly, flickr and other sites for free.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #72
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Ahhhhh Reformatting means deleting what WAS on the chip. I get it.. I don't ever do that.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:13 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwatcher View Post
hummph, ok but just for fun, try checking your pc,
Weird game, don't ya agree? ww
I see ya Wildwatcher....I'll show this post to my son when he visits to give it a look see. You wont be finding me tampering with anything. Thanks

Old 11-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #74
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Ahhhhh Reformatting means deleting what WAS on the chip. I get it.. I don't ever do that.
You can use them hundreds, maybe thousands of times! Reformatting does delete the pix but also returns the chip to its new condition, removing any traces of the pix from what I understand.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:44 AM   #75

Guess lots of people do it that way.
I keep mine as is and intend to watch them in my retirement years when I am no longer able to get into the field.
I usually carry at least three chips with me at all times...and of course extra batteries

One for family, people and human activities and structures..Burbex
One for live subjects other than people.....animals, insects fish, birds
The third for florals, trees, bushes and the like.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #76

Quote:
Linrose: I was just out playing with my new close-up lens. I really need to read the instructions as I have no idea what I'm doing. More fun with the close up lens. It's not so great for fast moving things like butterflies but I managed to get some that were more interested in nectaring than me with a camera up in their face.
I really miss the close up capability of my old camera.
Photos of insects so close you could see their eye segments, the hair upon their bodies... With it, I could take shots super dooper close as in like 4-6 inches away from an insect as well taking a distant shot without adding or taking off a lens. I've yet to figure out how to do that with this new camera. When I move in.......It won't focus unless I back way up! The only way I can get a close up shot now, is to crop.

I had purchased the three close up lens for that very camera identical to yours but have yet to play around with them much beyond the first trial.
Must you take off the lens when you want to move from the close ups into taking a distant photo or do you need to unscrew them to do so?

I "think" all three lens can all be used at the same time to give you an even MORE close up of a shot but I was afraid the order in which you screwed them all together might matter. If it's not correct, I was worried they might rub upon one another and scratch them. Have you tried all three at the same time yet to see what you get?

Quote:
Linrose: I'm not sure what three lenses you are talking about, you need the lens adapter DMW-LA5 which is a short tube that screws on the regular lens to attach the close up and telephoto lenses. The close-up lens DMW-LC55 screws onto that. With the close up lens I can take photos from .6 feet to 1.6 feet away from the subject. To take a distant shot I just unscrew the lens adapter with the close up lens still attached to it. I didn't get the telephoto lens because it's pricey but if you are a birder it's probably worth it.

Now that I have a few lenses and filters I need some way of carrying them, right now I'm just playing around in the backyard with it so I don't need a bag or carrying case. I did get a polarizing filter, a light reduction filter and a UV filter also. I use the UV filter as a lens protector and keep it on the camera. I bought an inexpensive set of three filters just for the UV filter. They came in a handy case.

Panasonic DMW-LA5 - Lens Adapter - Overview
Panasonic DMW-LC55 - Close-up Lens - Overview
Panasonic DMW-LT55 - Telephoto Lens - Overview
Gee I didn't receive anything as large as that first one in my order. Mine were more like your second link. Nothing like your third link either.

Page one, post one Panasonic FZ150 shows what I had received. Did you get any of those? I really must dig those out one of these days and toy around with them.
I "Need" a close up fix!

Old 07-14-2013, 10:59 AM   #77
WG Fundraising Coordinator

OK, I see what you bought now. Your filter set is pretty much like the one I got just for the UV filter (Zeikos) - I did invest in a better polarizing filter and ND filter though. I personally don't see a need for the fluorescent filter. The macro set you got isn't really a close up lens but more like a magnifying glass. I'd spring for the Panasonic DMW-LC55 to get better depth of field. It'll cost you about $70. You'll still need the adapter which goes for about $20.

Of course I've been going around without reading the owner's manual, now that I'm inside I found out I needed to set the camera on Conversion in the Record menu when I switch to using the close-up lens. Hmm, wonder how that will change the photos?
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #78

Sounds like I purchased the wrong things trying to get up close like I was trying to... but that was all I had found at the time.
I don't know what the heck I am doing....

Old 07-14-2013, 11:32 AM   #79
WG Fundraising Coordinator

I just took this photo of a black swallowtail caterpillar with the conversion on in the menu, I was wondering why I got that circle around my photos. (duh!!!) However focus is trickier and you can't get as close with the conversion on. I guess I'll play around some more.

Here's what I'd get without turning on conversion in the menu. I'd see this image on my screen and in the photos, then I'd have to crop and mess around to get rid of the background. Still, I could get right up to the subject. With conversion turned on I have to stay back about 7 inches.

With conversion off, before editing.
Panasonic FZ150-conversion-off.jpg

With conversion off, after editing.
Panasonic FZ150-bumble-coneflower.jpg

With conversion on.
Panasonic FZ150-black-swallowtail-cat.jpg

I hope I didn't entirely confuse you!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #80

Oooooo Now THAT'S more like it!!!!

Tags
camera, education, fz150, learn, learning, model, panasonic, photograph, photographer, photography, photos, pictures, settings, taking pictures