Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Green Products and Service Providers > Ecologically Responsible Service Providers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2009, 12:43 PM   #1
Grub

Default Living Landscapes: Illinois Native Plantings and Permeable Stonescapes

Living Landscapes is devoted to the combination of aesthetic and environmentally sound landscaping practices. Through the use of native plants and permeable stone or brick construction, you can take pride in your yard for its beauty and its place in our environment!

We are located in the western suburbs of Chicago in Montgomery, Illinois. Our main focus is on using native plants in the home and small business landscape. Most of the native plants used are of local ecotype. This means that the seed used to grow the plants came from local areas. We have access over 250 species of natives from our various suppliers for a wide range of site conditions and personal aesthetic tastes.

We only use stone or brick when constructing our patios, fire pits, or retaining walls at Living Landscapes. These materials are resilient, but also allow water to soak into the cracks between them. There are many benefits to having permeable surfaces. See our website for more information!

If you are considering adding features to your property, we would love to meet with you to discuss how Living Landscapes can help! We are a small business and care about our customers. We are committed to making positive impact in our world- one yard at a time!

Thank you for considering us!

Living Landscapes - Home
Old 11-03-2009, 02:07 AM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

A landscaper who uses native plants? You rock!!! I suppose I shouldn't be that surprised. I've seen a few trucks around for landscapers with advertising that says they use only native plants and last week there was an organic lawn care truck across the street from me. That's a first for my neighborhood. Here's to many more firsts!!! Good luck to you and your native plant landscaping business.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:02 AM   #3
Pope

Wish you were in my neck of the woods, gnomenative. Here's wishing you all of the luck in the world in your native plant landscaping business. Your efforts mean that we all succeed!
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:56 PM   #4
Grub

Thank you for the well wishes! It is so great to get to work at something you love! I sincerely hope that a greater awareness will get people to consider natives! Thank you again!
gnomenative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:36 PM   #5
Grub

Gnomenative,
I wish all landscapers were like you! So many of them don't have a clue about the importance of native plants. Good luck to you!
Old 11-03-2009, 04:09 PM   #6
WG Facilitator

Best of luck, Gnomenative. I hope it really takes off for you.

Have you been doing this for years, or is it a new endeavor for you?

Last edited by biigblueyes; 11-03-2009 at 04:11 PM. Reason: still thinking
biigblueyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:23 PM   #7
Grub

I have not done it as a business for years- that part is new. I have been doing it for others and for myself for years in various different ways. Like many- I started by working with others having a lot more knowledge and kind of learned along the way. It really turned into an obsession the past few years (my wife always talks about the "crazy plant people"). Now I have an appropriate outlet! Thanks for all of the encouragement!
Old 11-04-2009, 04:36 PM   #8
WG Staff

Keep up the good work.

Go Native!
Old 11-06-2009, 02:53 PM   #9
Grub

Thanks for all of the encouragement! I hope to make a positive impact!
Old 12-04-2009, 04:22 PM   #10
Grub

bumblebee Planning for Pollinators

Each month I will try to give planning tips and techniques helpful to native flora and fauna. This month is "Planning for Pollinators"

Pollinator Planning- Part I
Pollinators are in a general state of decline across the globe. Colony collapse disorder, pesticide use, and habitat loss are all factors in this decline.

Luckily, there are some things that can help the ever-important pollinators of the insect variety. This strategy is designed with them in mind.

Pollinators are the model of efficiency.
Their broods are dependant on the amount of food that can be provided to feed them. When supplies are plentiful, the number of viable young are also increased.

To ensure that your property is helping provide for these animals, think about your species to plant number ratio. This is especially applicable for smaller spaces.

If providing for bees and other pollinators is your goal, it is more important to have fewer species and more plants of those species. This provides more food for bees than if you have a greater diversity and fewer plants in bloom. Obviously, plant selection is very important in this case. You would want to plant groups of plants that will also provide blooms from spring to fall. I will revisit this as spring approaches.

Tags
brush pile, brush piles, greenprinting, habitat, illinois, landscape, landscapes, living, living landscapes, native, native plant habitats, permeable, planting with a purpose, plantings, stonescapes

« - | - »